The New Moor Market

Nipped in during lunchtime and had a look round.

The Moor was pretty busy. Not sure if that was just people going to look. When the cinema is added, then it might be a self sustaining healthy shopping area.

Market was busy as you would expect. Inside its very well lit and warm for the staff.

Theres a coffee stall right at the mian entrance so you get the nice aroma of fresh coffee wafting your way.

It felt like the old market had been dragged into the present day and in particular the butchers stalls were immacylately presented and the stall holders have done a massive job in making sure everything is presentable and attractive.

Most of the stall holders have had new signs made and that really brightens the place up. It makes a real difference.

No idea how much extra trade they might be doing as a lot of people were looking.

New shops, coffee stall, the ice cream place, organic fruit and veg, gourmetcake shop, baking supplies, bottled beer, oriental grocer(Although he was there at the end of castle mkt), pop up pantry so people can try out a stall and sell a variety of cuisine. Probably a few more.

The layout as you go in the main etrance is small kiosks dopwn the entrance and then it leads onto the meat side starting with Tissingtons, then about 9 or 10 meat and fish stalls all down the right hand side and ending with crawshaws at the end. Crawshaws looks a v good place if you can buy meat in bulk. 2 decent chickens for £5 etc.

In the middle theres the normal market stalls, but I only saw 3 fruit and veg. How times have changed because when sheaf opened fruit and veg was a major component.

In the left hand far corner is a kind of food court with about 12-14 kiosks for food. Some of them are similar cafes. The place was screaming out for the chippy and I can see why the one at castle didnt move. I got the feeling peole were going to some of the other stalls because they could have some chips as well. The food kiosks are tiny.

I did notice that a lot of units about 25% were still vacant.

Overall impression it was nice and compact, even much smaller than I expected, which restricts it. There are less stalls than i expected. Very well lit and warm. The expense of the building has made space a premium hence the tiny stalls. The stall holders have done a good job, especially the butchers side. No gangs outside. I hope it does well and expect it to as have always liked the market as it is less antiseptic and makes for a more interesting shop on a large number of things.

Been this morning.

Same crappy stalls with the same crappy punters.

Been this morning.

Same crappy stalls with the same crappy punters.

Maybe when the other developments around there are finished and the area picks up, both will end up being priced out (ditto Iceland and Poundland too).

Agree with Dan about it being small tbh I'd have though a greta market needs to be 2x the size. Large stalls give you great scope to display fresh produce like fruit and veg.

Theres no artisan baker, but there are two Turners outlets and i dont think their bread is frozen. So you are inaccurate.

There was one place selling cheese, but no big artisan deli.

Theres more than one or two cafes and there was someone selling burritos at the pop up stall. They could do with the chippy, a chinese noodle place, streetfood stuff as well.

Seems a bit harsh to complain about buying meat in a market and the woes of the office worker. Wouldnt this be the same for any shop you nip into at lunch even Waitrose or an artisan deli?

You guys are so negative. You do realise this was just them moving the old market stalls into a new building? If you used the old market then you would know what to expect. Theres a lot of peoples livelihoods at stake there and I can see theyve made an effort from what was at castle.

Think we agree they need more interesting shops to make use of the space.

Edited by 999tigger

I suppose it'll be handy for the resident East European population to hang around in large groups? I don't understand why they have moved it from Waingate, surely it would have been better to contain it within its Waingate location. The bottom of the Moor needs rejuvenating not filling it with shops selling tat.

I'll be going some time this week, I am disappointed to hear there are apparently no good cheese stalls/artisan bakers etc. but maybe that will come over time. I think there is a market for it (pun intended).

I hope it goes well, I know someone who has invested in one of the food stalls and he deserves the best.

I suppose it'll be handy for the resident East European population to hang around in large groups? I don't understand why they have moved it from Waingate, surely it would have been better to contain it within its Waingate location. The bottom of the Moor needs rejuvenating not filling it with shops selling tat.

If you used the market then youd realise why they moved it.

It looks just like the old one, just a bit cleaner, not as run down yet but that look will come back over the years to this market.

It gives me the exact same hard core feeling as the old market did. The changes are not significant enough to call it really different.

This feels to me like someone buying a new car that is exactly like the old one. It may be new but is same model as the old one.

Edited by dutch

Agree with Dan about it being small tbh I'd have though a greta market needs to be 2x the size. Large stalls give you great scope to display fresh produce like fruit and veg.

Theres no artisan baker, but there are two Turners outlets and i dont think their bread is frozen. So you are inaccurate.

There was one place selling cheese, but no big artisan deli.

Theres more than one or two cafes and there was someone selling burritos at the pop up stall. They could do with the chippy, a chinese noodle place, streetfood stuff as well.

Seems a bit harsh to complain about buying meat in a market and the woes of the office worker. Wouldnt this be the same for any shop you nip into at lunch even Waitrose or an artisan deli?

You guys are so negative. You do realise this was just them moving the old market stalls into a new building? If you used the old market then you would know what to expect. Theres a lot of peoples livelihoods at stake there and I can see theyve made an effort from what was at castle.

Think we agree they need more interesting shops to make use of the space.

Yeah, sorry, the meat thing wasn't mean as a criticism (I had it in my positives comments, that they looked decent). It was just a reflection that I'm never likely to be around there at a time when I can buy that type of stuff (whereas say Beeches, Coppice House or School Rooms I can nip to for 5 minutes at my convenience).

The ideal situation is if the existing traders recognise the needs (and means) of their new clientele and reposition themselves, rather than get replaced. Simonites for example have shifted upmarket incredibly well since their move to Division Street.

I went in looking for some lunch, some nice bread, cheese and maybe some interesting bits to take home for tea. But there was:

- Nowhere decent for lunch. There's one or two cafes and a kebab shop, but nothing mexican, oriental, continental, rare meats, bratwurst, streetfoody etc. I ended up having to go to Brunch n Lunch by Plug to find something appetising

- Only one place selling bread, and that was all cheap from-frozen; nothing interesting or in any sense artisan

- Nowhere selling cheeses at all

- Nothing resembling a deli

Note sure you were paying attention:

S&J pantry sell is pretty much a deli and sell cheeses

Turners sell fresh bread, it is fresh not frozen

Street Chef had a very small stall (easy to miss) selling their 'award winning' buritos I hope it will get bigger.

I agree we're missing Sheaf Valley Bakery (artisan baker in Castle St) but they only announced at the start of the month they were uping sticks and moving back to Somerset. Their success in Castle Street proves if nothing else there is demand for that style of baking so hopefully someone else will take it up.

All the new and old stalls looked great and very well presented I hope everyone makes a good start and the crowds keep coming back. And while I agree it's a bit small, they could hardly make it bigger if there's still empty stalls now.

Can you buy bacon in the market?

I feel some anti-Muslim diatribe coming up :D