The New Moor Market

The fresh food traders get up ridiculously early in the morning to buy their stuff from the wholesale markets. They're never going to open in the evenings.

Hence why I said to bring on p/t staff to cover the extra hours. :suspect:

They were meant to be making lots of improvements including opening hours, but havent seen any of them. The market is the first place to close amd security are there at the doors at 5:20. Id agree with 7 or 7:30 being much better as well as Sundays. They should at least offer the chance to those stallks which want to stay open to do so.

As for the Post Office, think thats a matter for Post Office counters and a commercial decision. It would be a good crowd puller though, but not sure Wilkinsons would be too keen.

There was rumour going around a few weeks ago that Wilkinsons where going to leave their present home in the old Market area and relocate to the Woolworths building on the Moor ,perhaps who ever started that rumour was point scoring.

Are they collecting rent from stall holders yet? If not who is paying the repayments on the massive loans taken to build the place?

And yet you got here from the Netherlands.

No I did not come from netherlands to UK, try again.

Other methods of public transport are available.

So are other places to shop.

There was rumour going around a few weeks ago that Wilkinsons where going to leave their present home in the old Market area and relocate to the Woolworths building on the Moor ,perhaps who ever started that rumour was point scoring.

When I passed the old Woolworths shop last Saturday it was full of clothes, don't know if they were new or secondhand. Disappointing, as I was hoping for Wilkinson's or -dare I say it- Home Bargains.

I take your point about Wilkinsons but I did not wish to tread on anybodys toes, I will rephrase my statement and say "A Post Office" and I agree on the opening hours to a certain degree.

One of the market vendors told me months ago that the council had informed him there WOULD be a Post Office in the market right across from him, one of the reasons he agreed to take a stall in that location. He was extremely annoyed to instead end up with a stall in the middle of an area where all the other stalls were vacant.

I wonder if there indeed was a plan to have a Post Office there though?

The banner in the cafe section proudly proclaiming the arrival of a baked potato stall is !!!!!!! still proclaiming the arrival of a baked potato stall.

The market is too far out on a limb.

I've ventured into town a couple of times in the last 3 weeks. We took the tram to go see the heritage open days at the places like Cathedral, Cutlers Hall and Channing Hall. On another occassion we came and took a look at the Spiegel Tent and the open day "mind" exhibition in the old Co-op.

They were good events. That end of town was buzzing. But could we really be bothered to leg it 1/2 mile down to the Moor Market knowing that we would have to leg it 1/2 mile back to the tram? No.

So Eten got our trade of coffee and cakes. Orchard Square sold us a few nick nacks. The Banker's Draft sold us a few beers and the tram took us home.

These were sunny days. On a wet day the thought of walking to the market wouldn't even have entered my head.

We love the food fayres on Fargate. They are great if you arrive by tram. But the entertainment seems centred around that part of town. There isn't that much to tempt you right along the Moor.

Edited by roosterboost

Remember not everyone lives around the tram... most people access town through the bus, most of which pass through the moor.

The market is too far out on a limb.

I've ventured into town a couple of times in the last 3 weeks. We took the tram to go see the heritage open days at the places like Cathedral, Cutlers Hall and Channing Hall. On another occassion we came and took a look at the Spiegel Tent and the open day "mind" exhibition in the old Co-op.

They were good events. That end of town was buzzing. But could we really be bothered to leg it 1/2 mile down to the Moor Market knowing that we would have to leg it 1/2 mile back to the tram? No.

So Eten got our trade of coffee and cakes. Orchard Square sold us a few nick nacks. The Banker's Draft sold us a few beers and the tram took us home.

These were sunny days. On a wet day the thought of walking to the market wouldn't even have entered my head.

We love the food fayres on Fargate. They are great if you arrive by tram. But the entertainment seems centred around that part of town. There isn't that much to tempt you right along the Moor.

See I am not the only one who thinks this way.

They should have knocked down the lyceum theatre and moved it to the moor. Then put the market right there in the middle of town.

If they can play games knocking things down and resurrecting a super dream building with a cinema on the other side of moor why not move city hall employees to the new moor market if they like that place so much and set up a new market inside city hall. Then the council only has to cross the moor to go to the cinema and dream.