The New Moor Market

Just been to moor market again, first time in a month, its too far from the tram.

Other methods of public transport are available.

I had a small letter published in The Star recently in which I suggested that one way to increase footfall in the market would be to install The Head Post Office in there, I am sure this is a good idea and if the council can accept this they would hopefully be able to do something about it. There are many complaints about the market but it is here to stay and it is up to us to use it.

My biggest issue its its opening hours.

Stay open late and get that commuter foot fall on their way home, instead of them popping into Sainsburys, Aldi or Waitrose on their way back

Stay open late and get that commuter foot fall on their way home, instead of them popping into Sainsburys, Aldi or Waitrose on their way back

Agreed. The Moor is closer and more practical for me to get to, but the number of times I've been to Simmonites to buy something for dinner purely because the Moor Market is closed by the time I leave work.

I had a small letter published in The Star recently in which I suggested that one way to increase footfall in the market would be to install The Head Post Office in there, I am sure this is a good idea and if the council can accept this they would hopefully be able to do something about it. There are many complaints about the market but it is here to stay and it is up to us to use it.

What exactly do you mean by 'The Head Post Office'?

If you mean moving the existing post office currently based in Wilkinsons at the Haymarket to the bottom of the Moor in an attempt to try to force more people down there then I can't see it working.

The reason a lot of people give for not using the Market is that it is out of their way, so aren't these people just going to find a closer post office?

There is a post office near the top of the moor as well - across from Howden House.

There is a post office near the top of the moor as well - across from Howden House.

[sarcasm]

Staffed by the world's most cheerful man

[/sarcasm]

Just been to moor market again, first time in a month, its too far from the tram.

And yet you got here from the Netherlands.

Yeah, closing at 5:30 and Sundays isn't accommodating for a lot of customers.

I understand why they don't want to work longer, but their rivals (the supermarkets) do.

I'd go a lot more if they were open till 7 & on a Sunday.

They were meant to be making lots of improvements including opening hours, but havent seen any of them. The market is the first place to close amd security are there at the doors at 5:20. Id agree with 7 or 7:30 being much better as well as Sundays. They should at least offer the chance to those stallks which want to stay open to do so.

As for the Post Office, think thats a matter for Post Office counters and a commercial decision. It would be a good crowd puller though, but not sure Wilkinsons would be too keen.

Yeah, closing at 5:30 and Sundays isn't accommodating for a lot of customers.

I understand why they don't want to work longer, but their rivals (the supermarkets) do.

I'd go a lot more if they were open till 7 & on a Sunday.

No one ever wants to work longer, but they can start to hire part time staff or even have apprenticeships to cover the longer hours. Staff may not be able to provide all the full counter service say of being in there before 5pm, but surely access to pre-cut or readily available items could be done. Not only generating more revenue for the market, but also creating jobs.

I know this might not be viable for all the stall traders like the fabric sellers, newsstands, cards, stc, but at least maybe an option for the food traders.

I know this might not be viable for all the stall traders like the fabric sellers, newsstands, cards, stc, but at least maybe an option for the food traders.

The fresh food traders get up ridiculously early in the morning to buy their stuff from the wholesale markets. They're never going to open in the evenings.