The New Moor Market

Well according to Anna Glypta it stopped Londoners who'd travelled all the way up here from getting into Sheffield. So they all turned round and went back down south

Actually I'd love to see a link to that because it seems to be a post I obviously missed.

Relevance?

she is trolling me saying i never been out of sheffield. do you think that is right?

---------- Post added 12-08-2014 at 20:54 ----------

You have never had the chance of becoming a parent, by that reckoning I'll wager you are just single and on benefits

How did i guess?:hihi:

Why do people think Manpower services has blocked anything? Im not aware of there being substantial retail activity on the site where it is?

Please provide a more detailed explanation.

The decline of the Moor iirc and imo was much more to do with Meadowhall, recessions and the way people shop. If there was more money in Sheffield then they wouldnt have a problem finding investors and developers.

One thing I have noticed recently has been all the out of town retail parks, which in conjunction with the supermarkets must have a big impact.

In my opinion manpower building cut a major artery into Sheffield. It diverted folk from Ecclesall Road away from th Moor and blocked London Road. Both those roads have lively evening and daytime cafe culture which no longer spills over onto the Moor. I agree Meadowhall took large amounts of business away from the town centre. Perhaps those stores wouldn't have been so keen to move had the Moor not been mortally wounded. Meadowhall is where the shops and shoppers went. That isn't the same as the reason they left the city centre.

Just look at the number of pubs, cafes, and restaurants on London Road and Eccelsall Road then count the number on the Moor.

Edited by Scabbydog

she is trolling me saying i never been out of sheffield. do you think that is right?

And this is just on this thread, all your posts are pretty much the same ;)

It has been said on here many times by many people that the real decline of the Moor area set in when they built the manpower building and effectively turned it into a cul-de-sac. I'm not convinced anyone will come forward prepared to underwrite the cost of a major development. The problem now is the city is dominated by betting shops, money lenders and pound shops and until they are turfed out I can't see the Harvey Nicks of this world coming within 5 miles of the place.

---------- Post added 12-08-2014 at 20:19 ----------

It probably depends very much on what Scottish Widdow's involvement is. My understanding is that they own the land and paid for all/part of the building. The council rents the building from Scottish Widdows and collects rents (:hihi::hihi::hihi:) from the stall holders. So Scottish widdows is guaranteed a return on its investment. It remains to be seen who pays the council.

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

The council owns the building and land, which the bought and developed using money loaned by Scottish Widows who also project managed the development. I'm sure the very generous tax payers of Sheffield will eventually pick up the tab.

Sheffield city centre will eventually be redeveloped for retail use, if nothing else Meadowhall is beginning to show it's age and anyone wanting to build modern retail units in Sheffield knows full well the council will pull out all the stops for you if the city centre is chosen but lay down bear traps if you prefer the outskirts.

It probably depends very much on what Scottish Widdow's involvement is. My understanding is that they own the land and paid for all/part of the building. The council rents the building from Scottish Widdows and collects rents (:hihi::hihi::hihi:) from the stall holders. So Scottish widdows is guaranteed a return on its investment. It remains to be seen who pays the council.

I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong on this.

My understanding is that the Council own the freehold to the land and the building. It belongs to the Council. The Land was given to them by Scottish Widows in return for the freehold/ extended lease of the rest of the Moor and the Council taking a loan of c£17m to be repaid over 50 years. The Council were expecting to be paid rent eventually and I think its a 93% occupancy they need to break even. Because of less than predicted footfall (about the same as the old market) then the Council havent charged any rent, but expect to do so in September unless they change theur minds again. Over time footfall should improve on the Moor as its redeveloped, but it remains to be seen whether the market can survive and flourish. The Uni have done a new survey and are making changes like longer opening hours.

If it is nor feasible, then I guess it would close and the site would be sold to recoup some of the loss.

My friend who owns the cake shop is pulling out as he is sick of the chavs/drunk/thieves in the place.

The problem is the "good" market stalls from the old market did not all move over, because the new market was too expensive (long term), cramped and has poor storage facilities.

Also, who thought having a hairdressers in an enclosed building, a stones-throw away from fresh fruit and veg, was a good idea? All those chemicals are not only awful for Asthma sufferers but MUST have an impact on the fruit and veg. Certainly I found the quality of the produce no better than Sainsburys when the whole point of shopping at the market is BECAUSE its usually fresher, higher quality produce.

Some of the stalls on the moor itself are far superior to the ones in the market, which is pretty embarrassing. I only go into the market for the toilets, the nut bar and the organic fruit and veg stall (because my mum only likes bananas under-ripe).

Then there is the Cafe area which I find totally uninviting . I don't want to sit on crappy chairs with people constantly walking past while I eat. Even the supermarkets have the sense to put up walls so you feel less exposed.

Edited by AlexAtkin

I feel for the traders and really hope that things pick up for them. Must admit to only going in for the fruit and veg stall right at the back, that sells really decent stuff at very reasonable prices. The stalls selling cheap cakes/household items etc are too close to Poundland and Iceland to be able to compete.

I am not the one who is a single parent and on benefits love

Relevance?

None whatsoever ... other than contender for the smuggest post.

My friend who owns the cake shop is pulling out as he is sick of the chavs/drunk/thieves in the place.

Which cake shop is that? Thieves id have no idea about, drunks ive never noticed.

I forgot to mention I do also buy sweets at the stall that has pick n mix on the end with various wrapped mints. As for cakes, I haven't found any decent ones.

The guy who does the home made stuff that looks really nice, I wasn't impressed the few things I tried from him. They just tasted overly sweet and of little else.

That said, Turners is bloody awful too. Again I tried several different "chocolate" slabs (a Rocky Road and a Caramel One) and both just tasted of sugar and chalky cooking chocolate. The Rocky Road even the marshmallow bits didn't taste right. I do not remember Turners ever being that bad. :(

Edited by AlexAtkin