The New Moor Market

A lot of the fruit and veg stalls are average at best, I get better stuff from the local COOP.

Same with the meat market, I get better stuff from the local butcher. (luckily I have one)

Its not necessarily the stalls fault, I just think the facilities are inadequate so the produce goes off quicker than it should.

When even the corridor to the toilets is so narrow that if someone opens the first disabled toilet you can barely get past, that's pretty poor planning. Plus those toilets aren't particularly clean either.

Edited by AlexAtkin

As I see it the market lacks competition between traders and is probably a deliberate ploy by the market cartel traders organisation. Go to most fruit and veg stalls and the prices seem identical (quality not so much) except on a few items and the same goes for the majority of the meat stalls. They need to compete with the likes of Sainsbury's opposite in terms of quality and price to gain customers.

As I see it the market lacks competition between traders and is probably a deliberate ploy by the market cartel traders organisation. Go to most fruit and veg stalls and the prices seem identical (quality not so much) except on a few items and the same goes for the majority of the meat stalls. They need to compete with the likes of Sainsbury's opposite in terms of quality and price to gain customers.

I would expect most of the fruit and veg stalls just match each other prices, they aren't a secret they can just have a quick wiz round the market every few hours to check they aren't being beaten and then update their own prices with a marker pen. I would like a better quality stall though there was one for a bit a couple of years ago they moved out saying rent was too high.

I’ve noticed that a lot of food retailers , usually Fruit & Veg shops /stalls have got around the weight problem by selling by quantity, ie: 4 jacket potatoes for a £1 , 10 Clementines for £1.50 etc . I’ve noticed it all over .

I may sound cynical but I’m guessing this works better for the retailers than the customer.

Guest makapaka

I think the markets great.

I go between stalls for chicken, fish and veg - better and miles cheaper than majority of supermarkets

I think the markets great.

I go between stalls for chicken, fish and veg - better and miles cheaper than majority of supermarkets

I think many will disagree with you on that one especially with fruit and veg. The one redeeming quality of the market is you can get stuff there that you will find hard to get in a supermarket.

Got to say, the steak I've had from the market is tons better than that from even m&s or waitroy. Plus I get it cut to the thickness I want.

I'm determined to try and use the fish stall more over the next year, as there is some very interesting stock to have a go at.

Add to that the beer cabin which has the best selection in the city bar none.

Finally I have to mention the moor coffee stall. Absolutely the best cup of coffee in the city.

It's a heck of a walk from my office, but I always leave feeling a bit better about the world.

If you've not been then I'd say it's worth a look one day.

Got to say, the steak I've had from the market is tons better than that from even m&s or waitroy. Plus I get it cut to the thickness I want.

I'm determined to try and use the fish stall more over the next year, as there is some very interesting stock to have a go at.

Add to that the beer cabin which has the best selection in the city bar none.

Finally I have to mention the moor coffee stall. Absolutely the best cup of coffee in the city.

It's a heck of a walk from my office, but I always leave feeling a bit better about the world.

If you've not been then I'd say it's worth a look one day.

Yes the coffee stall in the entrance is spot on in both staff and fare ,the quotes on the surrounding walls from customers of the old Castle Market are well worth a read;)

Guest makapaka
I think many will disagree with you on that one especially with fruit and veg. The one redeeming quality of the market is you can get stuff there that you will find hard to get in a supermarket.

I’ve never had an issue with the veg - much the same and cheaper.

The fish and meat I get not only cheaper but way better than I’ve had from the regular supermarkets.

A lot of the fruit and veg stalls are average at best, I get better stuff from the local COOP.

Same with the meat market, I get better stuff from the local butcher. (luckily I have one)

Its not necessarily the stalls fault, I just think the facilities are inadequate so the produce goes off quicker than it should.

When even the corridor to the toilets is so narrow that if someone opens the first disabled toilet you can barely get past, that's pretty poor planning. Plus those toilets aren't particularly clean either.

I have to agree with your comment regarding the cleanliness of the toilets , the regular cleaning is of a poor standard to begin with , but to add to that the people using the toilets don’t care about other users .

Also a lot of the people using them are not Market users they just come in to use the facilities .

I have never set foot in it, so can’t comment other than to say, where else but The Moor could it have been situated?

I have never set foot in it, so can’t comment other than to say, where else but The Moor could it have been situated?

Let's have a think ???? Market Street sounds as though it's summat to do do wi markets,then Exchange Street seems pretty obvious to any one with a bit of grey matter or maybe Commercial Street could jump out of the pages to any one with the slitest interest in Sheffield oldest past and still living history.