The New Moor Market

surely the generations who feel more comfortable with imperial are an ageing and diminishing demographic?

The very demographic shopping in Moor Market :D

In the news recently they've been saying that British market stalls and traders will be allowed to start using imperial measurements again post-Brexit without the fear of criminal conviction.

LOL that's not news, that's comment from Simon Heffer to try and keep up the Telegraph's message to its readers that Brexit is a good thing.

The Daily Mail is at it too, hailing the possibility of being able to buy duty free on cross channel ferries as a good thing to its readers. Of course they have ignored the fact that this would mean that they'd no longer be able to fill up their boot with vast quantities of low cost booze when they arrive. Fools.

The fact is that traders are free to sell and show pricing in any units they want, but they must always include the metric pricing shown in text of at least the same size.

Metric euromyths peddled by British national newspapers

Coming next week - The Daily Telegraph hails the possibility of returning to pre-decimal currency.

^^^ I'd put half a crown on it!

Well you could knock me down with a feather ,after two or three years of greaving over the loss of our own Castle Market murdered by Julie Dorrs and her gang of retrabates the new Market at Moorfoot may at last be turning the corner.

Why is it you may ask ????? Is it the return of the return of the old atmosphere sadly missed from the days of the old traditional market area ,well no !!!! the reason is that Alan the referee is back ,our very own Market ref complete with football kit and explisatives handing out red cards and sending people off left right and centre just as he did in the old days when the Market was ours and along with the characters made every shopping experience one to Relish .

Edited by Albert smith

In the news recently they've been saying that British market stalls and traders will be allowed to start using imperial measurements again post-Brexit without the fear of criminal conviction.

Well, that's all our problems solved. We can all sleep safe now.

Well you could knock me down with a feather ,after two or three years of greaving over the loss of our own Castle Market murdered by Julie Dorrs and her gang of retrabates the new Market at Moorfoot may at last be turning the corner.

Why is it you may ask ????? Is it the return of the return of the old atmosphere sadly missed from the days of the old traditional market area .

I loved the old market and dearly miss my old Saturday routine of arriving for it just opening, grabbing a newspaper and a delicious sausage meat sandwich and sitting there having breakfast then doing a bit of shopping before it started to get busier.

However... let's not pretend that the place was murdered by Julie Dores. All she did was put it out of its misery. It was dying slowly for almost two decades, every since the Sheaf market was demolished and the ease of buying the same stuff on the internet started killing off the small traders. By the time the Castle market closed it was but a pale shadow of the vibrant market it had been in the 80s and early 90s. The atmosphere you speak of was long gone by the time they closed.

Well, that's all our problems solved. We can all sleep safe now.

Thank Christ for that..I can also go to bed happily clutching my Imperial Blue coloured passport made by a French company. "Taking back control"

Why is it you may ask ????? Is it the return of the return of the old atmosphere sadly missed from the days of the old traditional market area ,well no !!!! the reason is that Alan the referee is back ,our very own Market ref complete with football kit and explisatives handing out red cards and sending people off left right and centre just as he did in the old days when the Market was ours and along with the characters made every shopping experience one to Relish .

So he wanders round swearing? This is a good thing for the market how?

So he wanders round swearing? This is a good thing for the market how?

Some folk have problems Inc Asperger's disease .I don't know if our Alan has or not but most who know him accept that he is what he is and take the swearing etc with a pinch of snuff.

Don't see what problem is with new markets - its in a better place and a nice building. Lots of the crime and anti-social behaviour associated with old markets in their latter years doesn't happen.

The family and I go down once a fortnight to get good quality fresh meat and enjoy the high standard of service from the butchers and a good chat to boot.

We can all look back at Castle and Sheaf markets with rose tinted glasses but lets face it they were horrendous by the end!

Some folk have problems Inc Asperger's disease .I don't know if our Alan has or not but most who know him accept that he is what he is and take the swearing etc with a pinch of snuff.

And what if you dont know him?

Don't see what problem is with new markets - its in a better place and a nice building. Lots of the crime and anti-social behaviour associated with old markets in their latter years doesn't happen.

The family and I go down once a fortnight to get good quality fresh meat and enjoy the high standard of service from the butchers and a good chat to boot.

We can all look back at Castle and Sheaf markets with rose tinted glasses but lets face it they were horrendous by the end!

Honestly, the design and layout of the new market is dreadful - not sure I would call it a "nice" building by any stretch of the imagination.

Creating an artificial bottleneck around the meat market and toilets due to the angle of everything was moronic, it makes it awkward to get around if its busy.

Having the smell and chemicals of hairdressing drifting around the fruit stalls is also moronic, no way that isn't impacting on the longevity of the produce and its far from inviting for those of us with Asthma.

These things were never an issue in the old market because meat/veg and general stalls were all far apart, usually with actual walls between those sections of the market. You didn't NEED to go near any hairdressers and in general the building was so far everything dissipated better.

I agree that Castle Market was far from ideal, but what they replaced it with had zero thought put into it. Plenty of stall holders never made the move because it was too expensive and the cold storage options were pathetic compared to what they were used to.