The New Moor Market

Barry's Cod and Cockle forced to close their stall recently.

I'm sure all the empty units will bring customers from far and wide.

The council planners are in China at the moment I can see them offering stalls at half rent to even more take away vendors as we speak.

The council planners are in China at the moment. I can see them offering stalls at half rent to even more take away vendors as we speak.

Can you really, Judd?

Maybe they could use some spare space for new tables and chairs? I went in on Monday morning and the place was packed; there wasn't anywhere for me to sit down to eat.

Edited by MoorviewRoad

is that true Moorview ?

or are you Leigh bramall ? i was in there on Tuesday and it was empty

Is that true, Moorview, or are you Leigh Bramall? I was in there on Tuesday and it was empty.

Yes, quite true. They could definitely have done with a dozen or more extra tables - there's certainly space for them.

It was probably after 11:00, but I'm not exactly sure of the time.

I guess the cafe area gets busy around midday, but the market stall area was really busy at that time too.

Can you really, Judd?

Maybe they could use some spare space for new tables and chairs? I went in on Monday morning and the place was packed; there wasn't anywhere for me to sit down to eat.

You are right the cafe section is full on a Monday I was there my self just as another stall holder was putting up a closing down sign.

Fred:hihi:

---------- Post added 02-07-2016 at 13:34 ----------

Plenty of customers at the butchers section this morning although The Worldwide candy stall seems to have bitten the dust having notices on the closed shutters saying no entry to the business allowed without a member of the management present.

Can"t be due to the rent as that is half price so they say.

Was just coming on to post the above, my daughter has reliable informed me that she has just been to visit said shop and there is a notice on the shutters dated the 29th June that the market have taken possession. Which was news to her as there is absolutely no mention of the closure on the Facebook page of the stall.

Another stall gone then.

Was just coming on to post the above, my daughter has reliable informed me that she has just been to visit said shop and there is a notice on the shutters dated the 29th June that the market have taken possession. Which was news to her as there is absolutely no mention of the closure on the Facebook page of the stall.

Another stall gone then.

I think that they had another shop on Chapel Walk ,that is also closed with all the old stock melting away in the window .

I think that they had another shop on Chapel Walk ,that is also closed with all the old stock melting away in the window .

She did say there used to be one on the corner in the tiny unit where the fish pedicure place was years ago, but it was different people. She doesnt go down there anymore because of the one in the Market but if that one is closed as well I shall tell her not to bother!

And that was one of the high quality stalls, with a proper selection of fish. I used it regularly after browsing the selection at all the other fish stalls. Their stuff was almost always higher quality and well priced.

They sometimes sold unusual stuff too, like wild Brown Trout from Ireland and Pike.

I notice the Louro stall closed, the one selling decent Spanish and Portuguese produce. I'm not surprised by that closure at all as that sort of business seems more suited to Farmers Markets or the continental market that's held on Fargate.

The one on Chapel walk is a separate company operated by a chap from Chesterfield

Another stall gone then.

On another forum the stallholder said they are going to reopen elsewhere but didn't say where, looks like they have come to the end of their free or reduced rent period and found it uneconomic to work in the market.

---------- Post added 14-07-2016 at 09:52 ----------

I notice the Louro stall closed, the one selling decent Spanish and Portuguese produce. I'm not surprised by that closure at all as that sort of business seems more suited to Farmers Markets or the continental market that's held on Fargate.

They were at Sheffield Food festival, seemed to do well. Hopefully that's what they'll do.