The New Moor Market

Who are the people who said early opening would encourage them to shop there?

Surely it makes more sense to do late opening not early, as people can then do their market shopping after work?

Nobody is going to do their shopping before work as where would they store it to avoid it going off?

The early opening will be to encourage people to come to the food court for breakfast. In an ideal world the market would open 7 while 7, and 7 days a week but my understanding is the traders won't pay for the extended hours.

I called in on way to work this morning, just to wind all the haters up.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I hope you bought 10 kilos of fresh fish and kept it in the fridge at work?

Sheffield 'markets' are a thing of the past what ever happended to real markets where bargains galore were to be had for all

Sheffield 'markets' are a thing of the past what ever happended to real markets where bargains galore were to be had for all

as many of the department stores of old are now pound shops what was the point in spending a fortune of a new market building?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hicksy3

I hope you bought 10 kilos of fresh fish and kept it in the fridge at work?

Course I did. Over top shelves too so fish juice dripped over everyone else's gear.

I went round earlier and bought nothing, just to wind the stallholders up.

Maybe the lot more people aren't all sharing one fridge ;)

But seriously: you don't need that much fridge space. Say an average shopper gets some meat in once a week for tea, and fish once a week - those need refrigerating. But eggs, tinned foods, bread, fruit and veg don't so I don't expect any one office fridge to suffer too badly.

Most fruits, eggs, and many types of veg would definitely be highly recommended to be refrigerated. Unless you want them to be half rotten by the time you left work.

Of course what you are actually highlighting is the fact the market has no better fruit or veg than the supermarkets a lot of the time, so its not worth it. The old market had far better produce.

Most fruits, eggs, and many types of veg would definitely be highly recommended to be refrigerated. Unless you want them to be half rotten by the time you left work.

Of course what you are actually highlighting is the fact the market has no better fruit or veg than the supermarkets a lot of the time, so its not worth it. The old market had far better produce.

my bold

since when has Markets - supermarkets had veg - fruit - eggs in a fridge, also i would think buying "fresh" produce and having to put it in the works fridge all day is not my idea of improvement.

my bold

since when has Markets - supermarkets had veg - fruit - eggs in a fridge, also i would think buying "fresh" produce and having to put it in the works fridge all day is not my idea of improvement.

The market is kept a lot cooler than most workplaces will be.

I'm also pretty sure the market refrigerate their produce overnight, its not all fresh that day.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Course I did. Over top shelves too so fish juice dripped over everyone else's gear.

people are storing "gear" at your workplace? Any jobs going there?

I disagee. I don't think it's "a flop and a farce" at all. I admit that it's far, far from perfect and needs quite a bit of tinkering and improvement before it can claim to be a proper, indoor urban city market, but I think that, generally, it's heart is in the right place and that it already has a lot going for it. Great for fresh meat, fish, bread and cakes, fruit and veg. My mum loves the stalls that sell knitting wool, buttons etc. I like the posh craft beer shop, near the main entrance from the Moor...even though it is bloody expensive! I like the general vibe when I go into the Moor Market and I reckon that with a bit more patience and support from us - and a bit less negativity - it could do really, really well. It just needs a bit more time and patience....