The New Moor Market

Ah, woodbines. What a smoke. I packed up smoking in 1972, when all the tasteless filter-tip things came in but you would have to breathe in the exhaust from a bus now to get anywhere near as good as a woodbine.

Anyway, to get back to the market, I like the Moor market as it is now but I liked Castle market/Sheaf market, a lot more.

Yes !as did thousands more who visited every day for the simple reason it was the traditional market as well as meeting area.

A tradition that has now been destroyed for ever by so called Town Planners.

I will get mi tin hat on;)

Hello everyone

Just to have my say, i go to the Market every Saturday and i see more and more stalls closing. I was talking to one of the stall holders last Saturday and he was at the old market for years, he is a small business and did very well at the old market, he was saying the rates and service chargers for the Market have now gone to the normal rate, as they were half price to begin with to encourage stall holder to go there, and loads of stall holders will now struggle because of the increases, and i will suspect more of them will go else where?

The Sheffield council are just killing the traders in the market.

It's a real shame.....

Edited by cra1g
change wording

Mod Note:

Lets try not to make personal attacks against one another.

Thank you.

I mention Seven Stones because it is a very good illustration of how plans unravel. There are many reasons why developments don't get off the ground. It is often because circumstances change. A retailer may well look at something like the lack of footfall at the new market and re-think their business plan. Those deleloping SevenStones certainly did a re-think and invested in a project in Leeds instead.

The developers and retailers will look at the performance of recently refurbished Atkinson's, the newly located TJ Hughes, and the established Debenhams and Sainsbury's before they even think about the market. Nothing is set in stone but with the construction office already established on a side street and two major tenants already signed up I'm struggling to think of a likely scenario where this doesn't get built.

The developers and retailers will look at the performance of recently refurbished Atkinson's, the newly located TJ Hughes, and the established Debenhams and Sainsbury's before they even think about the market. Nothing is set in stone but with the construction office already established on a side street and two major tenants already signed up I'm struggling to think of a likely scenario where this doesn't get built.

It seems that market traders have taken legal advice regarding rents at the market. Certainly nothing is guaranteed round there.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/main-topics/local-stories/struggling-sheffield-traders-call-in-team-of-lawyers-over-market-rent-row-1-6774273

TRADERS ARE seeking legal advice amid fears for the long-term future of a multi-million pound indoor market in a Yorkshire city.

Stall owners in the Moor in Sheffield are set to host crunch meetings with council leaders in the coming weeks regarding a number of new proposals designed to help struggling businesses.

It is now 8 weeks since I have been to new market. Used to go at least twice a week to old market.

When I met an old friend today I asked her if she has been lately. She said, nah can't be bothered to go to new one but she was going to old market frequently.

Sheffield new market is not competitive enough. For such a big city it offers oh so little variety in a market for too high a price in a location that does not conveniently connect with 50% of Sheffield's transport network.

I rather take the bus ride and go to chesterfield market. At least castle market somehow fulfilled our needs a bit but now we go elsewhere.

It looks and feels to me that someone has tried to make new market posh and upper class. England has upper, lower and middle class people. Take the market away from the lower class and try to give it to the upper ones has not worked and will be its biggest fail.

Are taking is different from have taken.

The stall holders dont want to pay any rent, admittedly some of them arent making enough to pay any rent. Does that mean the Council/ Council tax payers should subsidise them?

Similar problem in Castle market where for years a lot of the stalls only survived becayse they had big rent subsidies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-16338193

It will be interesting to see what the legal advice will be about? Maybe its about the predicted footfall?

However they were still in a situation where castle market was going to close, so they would have had their teancies terminated. Similar situation in the new market if they dont like it they can quit. The Council will have to make the decision as to how long it will subsidise the market for? Rent free for another two years? That will just have them rescheduling the loan, which costs everyone more money.

IF after Primark moves in it doesnt show a significant upswing, then they will have to consider closing it if it shows no sign of paying its way. Its not hard to see why some of the stalls dont do good business when you look at whats on offer. They should sell what people want.

According to the star in return for lower rents the council wants to introduce new tenancy agreements. I'd call in the lawyers at this point as a matter of routine, I'm sure most businesses wouldn't just blindly sign any old contract, particularly when the previous contract has been in place for less than a year. The media and the market traders representative Bingham seem to overplaying this, call the lawyers in and get mad when said lawyers tell you're being screwed not before.

Are taking is different from have taken.

The stall holders dont want to pay any rent, admittedly some of them arent making enough to pay any rent. Does that mean the Council/ Council tax payers should subsidise them?

Similar problem in Castle market where for years a lot of the stalls only survived becayse they had big rent subsidies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-16338193

It will be interesting to see what the legal advice will be about? Maybe its about the predicted footfall?

However they were still in a situation where castle market was going to close, so they would have had their teancies terminated. Similar situation in the new market if they dont like it they can quit. The Council will have to make the decision as to how long it will subsidise the market for? Rent free for another two years? That will just have them rescheduling the loan, which costs everyone more money.

IF after Primark moves in it doesnt show a significant upswing, then they will have to consider closing it if it shows no sign of paying its way. Its not hard to see why some of the stalls dont do good business when you look at whats on offer. They should sell what people want.

Trouble for the market is there are already several viable alternatives offering what people want - they're called supermarkets, they sell everything that people want at times convenient to busy workers and offer free parking to boot.

Trouble for the market is there are already several viable alternatives offering what people want - they're called supermarkets, they sell everything that people want at times convenient to busy workers and offer free parking to boot.

which has already been said a zillion times. Any new perspectives?

which has already been said a zillion times. Any new perspectives?

Why have a new perspective when the one being put forward is correct - the Castle and new Moor markets have both floundered whilst supermarkets have and continue to prosper.

Lets face facts - if people wanted to shop at Sheffield's markets they would and this thread would be redundant.

Why have a new perspective when the one being put forward is correct - the Castle and new Moor markets have both floundered whilst supermarkets have and continue to prosper.

Lets face facts - if people wanted to shop at Sheffield's markets they would and this thread would be redundant.

Because you arent saying anything new. Just surprised me that youd bother to repeat whats been said 20-30 times already, especially when nobody is disagreeing, but fill your boots.

---------- Post added 17-08-2014 at 17:57 ----------

According to the star in return for lower rents the council wants to introduce new tenancy agreements. I'd call in the lawyers at this point as a matter of routine, I'm sure most businesses wouldn't just blindly sign any old contract, particularly when the previous contract has been in place for less than a year. The media and the market traders representative Bingham seem to overplaying this, call the lawyers in and get mad when said lawyers tell you're being screwed not before.

So really smiggs it doesnt amount to much and is either stating the obvious or the Star is making more of it than there is. Completely agree calling in lawyers to review new contracts is perfectly normal. I was looking at it more from the angle if they believed they had a case against the Council. If the Council want they can just shut it down and issue suitable termination notices. If the stalls want to make more money then they should worry more about selling what people want to buy and if they cant make a go of it, then consider a more radical rethink.