The New Moor Market

Maybe they don't actually end there then, maybe some go up the hill to the interchange and maybe some turn around and go back again. SYPTE wouldn't have brought it up if they didn't think it was going to be an issue and the popularity of the FreeBee up until it was cancelled suggests there is a very real need for people to get from Waingate to the Moor and that need is no longer being met.

So you cant tell us any of the 30 bus routes you claim terminate at Waingate actually do so?

At present there are many buses that run down Charter Row or up Eyre street. The Moor is still one of the principle retail streets still in the city centre. Surely these people from unknown areas managed to get there before?

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 15:36 ----------

Yorkshire Bank have announced the closure of the Haymarket branch in September, it's looking pretty bad for the old market area.

It will be completely shut down and the retail area will start at High St. Banks arent that good a reflection because they are shrinking branch numbers anyway. the shops that play a key role down there are Wilko, which is relocating to the Moor eventually and Primark. I quite like the forzen shps and B&M so I hope they stay there.

Yorkshire Bank have announced the closure of the Haymarket branch in September, it's looking pretty bad for the old market area.

Shop lifters don't need cash.

So you cant tell us any of the 30 bus routes you claim terminate at Waingate actually do so?

At present there are many buses that run down Charter Row or up Eyre street. The Moor is still one of the principle retail streets still in the city centre. Surely these people from unknown areas managed to get there before?

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 15:36 ----------

It will be completely shut down and the retail area will start at High St. Banks arent that good a reflection because they are shrinking branch numbers anyway. the shops that play a key role down there are Wilko, which is relocating to the Moor eventually and Primark. I quite like the forzen shps and B&M so I hope they stay there.

Wilkinsons moving to the Moor source please?

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 15:20 ----------

Shop lifters don't need cash.

Maybe but they need shops:)

Apology accepted.

So, lets have some bus numbers then, hmm?

No apology, you've still behaved like a dick without provocation.

I'm not going to look for numbers, because I don't use those buses and I'm not about to spend a couple of hours collating them. I'm going from what people at SYPTE have said during the consultation and the lead up to the closure of Castle Markets, and the fact that the FreeBee from Waingate was a very busy service. You've made no attempt to address that, I notice. If all the buses do now pass by the Moor, why would so many people have been using the FreeBee in the first place?

Presumably you've got some better ideas as to why the Moor Market is no busier than Castle Markets was, despite being in a busier part of town and having better access to all the wealth focused around Ecclesall and London Road? You can get hung up on bus numbers if you like, but it looks to me very much like a lot of the old Castle Markets customers haven't migrated over.

I'm not going to look for numbers, because I don't use those buses and I'm not about to spend a couple of hours collating them.

Because you know you are wrong. The "poor areas" in the north of Sheffield are currently served rather well with regular through buses to the Moor Market. That was my only point and you said otherwise.:

What really angers me is that a lot of the people who used to use Castle Markets were from the poorer areas in the north of the city, who can't easily get to the Moor because most of their bus routes end on Waingate.

Quoted as a reminder.

No apology, you've still behaved like a dick without provocation.

I'm not going to look for numbers, because I don't use those buses and I'm not about to spend a couple of hours collating them. I'm going from what people at SYPTE have said during the consultation and the lead up to the closure of Castle Markets, and the fact that the FreeBee from Waingate was a very busy service. You've made no attempt to address that, I notice. If all the buses do now pass by the Moor, why would so many people have been using the FreeBee in the first place?

Presumably you've got some better ideas as to why the Moor Market is no busier than Castle Markets was, despite being in a busier part of town and having better access to all the wealth focused around Ecclesall and London Road? You can get hung up on bus numbers if you like, but it looks to me very much like a lot of the old Castle Markets customers haven't migrated over.

Don't worry about the forum insulter. He flips from thread to thread hurling insults. It think it is what gets him off.

I thought they were closing the one at the bottom of The Moor :confused:

Maybe but they need shops:)

I see your point but £18 million is a lot to pay to stamp out shoplifting in the Haymarket.

---------- Post added 06-06-2014 at 17:41 ----------

Perhaps it is a pre-emptive move.

I can't confirm that, we bank at Haymarket and received notification a couple of weeks ago.

Maybe you're correct and they're closing both, we were told our acc. is being moved to Fargate.

There is also a vegan / sugar free bread stall now open !!!

Just say which bus numbers you are talking about or which areas. Mine was a genuine question. When I used the market and came from a different area of town the bus didnt pass by, but I walked or caught another bus.

Most Market buses terminated at Bridge Street no need to pass by .that is where they stopped. As all would know who used the traditional market .

That is also where the canteen was for drivers conductors and any others who happened to use the Markets.

Get facts right !still waiting to hear when Wilco's are moving into the old Woolworths shop on the Moor as you keep stating.

Come on lets hear the proper info .