The New Moor Market

With talk like that Andy you better watch out, you will be accused of being a Council stooge...

Well in that case, who do I complain to as I don't seem to have received any salary payments for the last 10 years? :suspect:

I'm just catching up on this thread. As far as I can work out, the new market is a failure because in the late 1970s the Manpower Services Building was built, blocking people from London getting to the market. So now the visitors from London get as far as the restaurants and then have to turn around and go home. Luckily, going the other way, London Road runs into Chesterfield Road, which takes them to Chesterfield which has an excellent market.

What I do not understand is how all these potential market customers who live on the wrong side of the Manpower Services Building managed to get to Castle Market. Can someone enlighten me?

They could catch the train from London, Castle Market was closer to the station, it's a little walk to The Moor.

Ecclesall Road is busy at night, West Street is busy at night, Division Street is busy at night. The Moor is not busy because it is a shopping street. Even without the Manpower Services Building, I doubt the Moor would be a destination for a night out.

That's an interesting observation for a street where someone is talking of building a cinema. So what you are saying is there isn't really much left the attract folk to anything other than matinees.

What a pity they build Manpower right in the middle of the road. They might have attracted a few of the folk from London Road if all the pubs on The Moor hadn't closed down.

We used to go to castle market because of location and very few visits to moor market for same reason.

Don't think the looks or appearance is biggest issue for why go, or not go unless we consider the attached price tag.

Right, I need Anna's help now, I managed to get to Norfolk by going down Norfolk Street, but now I cant seem to find a Sheffield Road to get back to Sheffield!!! Any ideas?

If any of you dee dahs ever went to see the civilized world you would realise that it isn't the norm.

I take it you're not trying to make yourself popular.

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 11:13 ----------

That's an interesting observation for a street where someone is talking of building a cinema. So what you are saying is there isn't really much left the attract folk to anything other than matinees.

The argument is that the Moor is quiet at night because nothing is open. If something i.e. a new cinema is open then people will go there if they have the energy to circumvent the Maginot Line that is the MSC building or if they come from a different direction, as most people will.

I take it you're not trying to make yourself popular.

I'm certainly not bothered about being popular with the likes of you or your ilk.

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 12:27 ----------

The argument is that the Moor is quiet at night because nothing is open. If something i.e. a new cinema is open then people will go there if they have the energy to circumvent the Maginot Line that is the MSC building or if they come from a different direction, as most people will.

I think most folk going to the cinema will be faced with a choice. Do we feel like going to somewhere like Chesterfield or Don Valley where we can park for free, get something to eat have a pint and go to the cinema, or should we go to town where we need to pay to park, can't get a pint or anything to eat.

Then again they knocked Bradford city centre down about 10 years ago with a grand plan of building a new complex with cinemas etc, but successive backers pulled out and they still have a hole in the ground although I think they might have made a park out of it now. What's happening with Sevenstones?

Edited by Anna Glypta

I'm certainly not bothered about being popular with the likes of you or your ilk.

---------- Post added 05-06-2014 at 12:27 ----------

I think most folk going to the cinema will be faced with a choice. Do we feel like going to somewhere like Chesterfield or Don Valley where we can park for free, get something to eat have a pint and go to the cinema, or should we go to town where we need to pay to park, can't get a pint or anything to eat.

Then again they knocked Bradford city centre down about 10 years ago with a grand plan of building a new complex with cinemas etc, but successive backers pulled out and they still have a hole in the ground although I think they might have made a park out of it now. What's happening with Sevenstones?

Because there is absolutely nowhere in town where you can get a pint and something to eat! And there definitely won't be any new restaurants opening in the cinema block. :rolleyes:

It's funny, when I first moved onto London Road I didn't even realise that it used to carry on straight down the Moor. In the several years I lived along there the extra few metres I had to walk to get there never caused me any issues. In fact, I think it's better the Moor isn't chock full of traffic like London Road is.

It must be a generational thing, if we go for a pint, we don't start worrying about parking, we walk or get public transport. No point jumping in the car so you can only have one pint then go home.

Besides, the pubs which were along the side streets of the Moor in recent times were hardly busy or attracting people to the Moor. They had more in common with the Castle Market than the shops which were left along the Moor, and appeared to attract similar custom.

Still, as others have said, there's plenty of bars and restaurants in the city centre, and them not being mixed on the same street as the big retailers is a pattern seen nationwide. Pinstone street is just as dead in the evening as the Moor, yet there's plenty of shops all the way along there.

Went today and discovered a new coffee stall near where the organic veg stall has moved. Very nice selection of flavoured coffees. Looks like it will become another of my lunchtime stops

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It's funny, when I first moved onto London Road I didn't even realise that it used to carry on straight down the Moor. In the several years I lived along there the extra few metres I had to walk to get there never caused me any issues. In fact, I think it's better the Moor isn't chock full of traffic like London Road is.

It must be a generational thing, if we go for a pint, we don't start worrying about parking, we walk or get public transport. No point jumping in the car so you can only have one pint then go home.

Besides, the pubs which were along the side streets of the Moor in recent times were hardly busy or attracting people to the Moor. They had more in common with the Castle Market than the shops which were left along the Moor, and appeared to attract similar custom.

Still, as others have said, there's plenty of bars and restaurants in the city centre, and them not being mixed on the same street as the big retailers is a pattern seen nationwide. Pinstone street is just as dead in the evening as the Moor, yet there's plenty of shops all the way along there.

I suppose if you live on London Road it isn't an issue with taking the car when you go onto the Moor. Not everyone chooses to live on London Road so using the car isn't an option. But London Road is good. It has the odd pub worth drinking in and a multitude of eating choices. That's why if we are heading that way and run into the road block that is Manpower Services we tend to stop and give our hardearned to the buisiness there rather than bothering with the ghost town beyond.

I can't say that the need to drink to excess is a major concern. A car only needs one driver and unlike public transport that driver takes everyone home to their front door which is nice when it is piddling it down.

There is a reason why much of the city is dead at night. There is no reason to go there. Until it is made attractive to visitors it is likely to remain that way.

That's why if we are heading that way and run into the road block that is Manpower Services we tend to stop and give our hardearned to the buisiness there rather than bothering with the ghost town beyond.

I dont know of a single person who has set off with no clue where to go, got to the end of London Road and then become stumped with where to go and turned back on themselves. I assume you know quite a few?