Where to buy real Xmas trees

We have bought a little one which is pot grown for the dinning room, and we can plant it in the garden, or put it in a bigger pot to grow on for next year. We got it from Horsfields in Silkstone which is just off the M1, really nice place, it was only £5.99 too!

National Trust at Longshaw by Fox House have masses of excellent trees from Scotland and hundreds of live trees growing in their nursery.

The real living trees are cut or dug up to order. They even let mums and dads help with the job if they want - kids love selecting their own tree from the ground and helping to take it home.

Trees bought now should have the stump cut off, about an inch or two, and then kept in water until they're brought into the house. Once inside they should be kept in a pot with water. Nordmans, Fraser Firs, Lodge Pole Pines etc all retain needles reasonably well. The traditional Norwegian trees drop like ****, but some people find that's a part of Xmas - hoovering up needles until July!

Last year the pot my tree was in leaked through the bolt holes that hold the tree secure. Because we couldn't see the leak the carpet was wet under the pot for 3 or 4 weeks with tree stump coloured water that left a big permanent stain :(

I claimed on household insurance, but with the excess I had to pay it was the most expensive tree ever.

Edited by Nagel

went to homebase on sat got a cheapy for a tenner for outside and a nice quality one for£35

for in doors,got some nice lights as well the have also a nice display of trees in doors as well

Just Natural in Crooks sell trees now!

The veg patch at upperthorpe have some lovely xmas trees in both potted and unpotted they also do free delivery and if you want fruit and veg it's delish

Edited by pinupkeza

Anyone know where bouts I can get a tree delivered plz as I've only got small car

Edited by snakeheadblu

I got one with roots on in a bucket from Wilco's in Hillsborough 7 years ago and have it in the garden for the rest of the year - still alive and looking good.

I have also seen some really nice ones in buckets at B&Q at Hillsborough - I think for £25. If they last as long as mine has you can't go wrong :)

Please only buy xmas tree's that can be planted back in the ground once you have used them.

It makes me sick to think people have a cut tree in the house then just throw it out after they have used it!

If this wasn't so condescending it would be laughable. The overwhelming majority of UK trees come from sustainable plantations providing forestry work for many. If this thought really makes you sick, then you lead a lucky life. I guess you never have fresh flowers in your house though?

Buy it, Use it, Throw it away. - That's Christmas!

Aaah sorry all - I've been a bit of a cynical old troll type here - I realize that.

Have just forked out £55 for a tree from Just Natural in Crookes which is lovely though.

If this wasn't so condescending it would be laughable. The overwhelming majority of UK trees come from sustainable plantations providing forestry work for many. If this thought really makes you sick, then you lead a lucky life. I guess you never have fresh flowers in your house though?

Buy it, Use it, Throw it away. - That's Christmas!

Aaah sorry all - I've been a bit of a cynical old troll type here - I realize that.

Have just forked out £55 for a tree from Just Natural in Crookes which is lovely though.

Really.? then you have far too much money...:huh:

Bought a brill British Chrissy tree from VINTEDGE next to the Broadfield, Abbeydale Road today. Going 'like hot cakes' and I'm told dozens freshly cut will be there tomorrow from 10am during Nether Edge Christmas market.

Valley side garden centre in crosspool has 100s all un netted so you can see what you are buying. All good quality, loads of sizes.