Have we got enough betting shops in Sheffiled

Should be over here, now and again when nice I jump on the scooter and go to bookies for a 2 quid bet on Saturday footy, I'm amazed when I go in blokes just stood in front of them shoving coins in.

I remember years ago I went in Bob Holmes I think it was at Frecheville a bloke walked in and stuck 600 quid on a dog over the sticks.

It came to 1st hurdle and clipped it, from then on in it didn't stand a chance, he didn't bat an eyelid, I've have chucked misen under 1st 41 that came past.

I have seen people lob a couple of grand in those machines m8 quite recently as well.

I used to ask bookmakers about them and it's there main source of income now, long gone are the day's of people stood there lobbing 20 quid on horses dogs etc, I've seen 80 plus year olds on the FOBT's.

Its amazing that the council cannot do anything to prevent these shops opening but can stop a Next store opening with no valid reason for it not to!!!!

HAHA FOBT's stands for fixed odd's betting terminals m8, the roulette machines...

Last time I used a machine with fixed payout it said there right on the money slot, "Minimum payout 70%".

So if the machine is telling you you're going to lose £30 for every £100 you put in, and you still do it...then you're an idiot.

In the early 80s my mate had a few bandits in the Penthouse on Dixon Lane and we used to go and empty them every few nights believe me it needed the two of us to carry the bags of money to the car.

These machines are now the easiest way to launder money made from the illegal drugs trade,put £500 in lose 40% go to the counter with your receipt collect your "winnings" and when picked up by police and asked "how do you explain this cash in your possession when you are unemployed" answer,"I have just won it in the bookies,here is my receipt".

Cheers for the advice.

Very useful.

you know what they should do,

Is put all the betting shops in 1 place next to each other,

That way the punters get to see best prices and the betting shops have to

fight each other to get custom

that way everyone would know where they are

you know what they should do,

Is put all the betting shops in 1 place next to each other,

That way the punters get to see best prices and the betting shops have to

fight each other to get custom

that way everyone would know where they are

I agree with that also if all the alcoholic drug addict gamblers are in one area such as Fitzalan Square for example you can avoid it.

I agree with that also if all the alcoholic drug addict gamblers are in one area such as Fitzalan Square for example you can avoid it.

But this would miss the whole point of betting shop placement. They put them in an area which they believe is a dense population of zombies who will happen to walk past in their own back yard and not be able to resist the temptation. Can't expect zombies to travel or think in advance.

zombie walks past shop. Suddenly stops in his tracks...

must.. have .... bet

must... play... FOBT

If people have problems with drugs the drugs are banned, if people are addicted to cigarettes the purchase of them is restricted and they are now not allowed to be on display, the sale of alcohol is limited but have a gambling problem and its all your own fault and the bookies can just keep opening more shops to bend the limits on amount of gambling machines, strange.

I have seen people lob a couple of grand in those machines m8 quite recently as well.

I used to ask bookmakers about them and it's there main source of income now, long gone are the day's of people stood there lobbing 20 quid on horses dogs etc, I've seen 80 plus year olds on the FOBT's.

Matt my wife worked in one of the slot arcades in town, and she told me some people just sat there, feeding money in all day. She said one woman went through a hell of a lot of money one day in the machines, when she ran out she just nipped out to the bank for more now that is a problem.

It is thoroughly disgusting, as pointed out, the limit on machines per shop means they just open more and more shops. They clearly make so much money of the sad punters that they can. I genuinely believe the law should be changed. Bookies and offies should be far more restricted.

So thats why theres so many. I wondered why they open more shops. Why dont they relax some of the other rules governing gambling and we can have less shops in our city.

But why do people think there is a market for so many betting shops here?

If there was no market for them, owners of such shops wouldn't open them. Or they wouldn't stay in business very long.

They do stay open, ipso facto, there is a demand for them. QED.

I'm guessing you've never owned or run a business? Except, perhaps, into the ground.....?