Personal protection. Which would you choose?

Im sat next to mine now.

The down side is he takes up most of the sofa and then complains when i try to type.

I think im interfering with his nap time or something :hihi:

Currently in the same situation with my dog! She's laid right across my knee snoring her head off and I've had to rest my ipad against her head!

Currently in the same situation with my dog! She's laid right across my knee snoring her head off and I've had to rest my ipad against her head!

Lol.!

Mines walked off in a huff now.

Good news is ive got my sofa back :D

For personal protection, I wouldn't have anything else than mine.

Up and investigating at a mere mouse's fart two (detached-) houses away.

A louder bark than a Dogue de Bordeaux (live experiment :D). Oh, and bigger teeth (again, live comparison).

Scared of/by nowt. Really. This can be a problem.

And properly pro-active protection: jog/cycle/run up to me too close and too fast, get grabbed by the sleeve (or pedal) before you get to me and end up on your a55. Let's not mention trying to get into the house or garden unannounced.

But you'll have to put up with the weekly mud bath :hihi:

Out of all the breeds/types of dog, which would you select to protect you in your home (ie not out in the grounds)? I'm talking about which one do you think would be the most lethal/prepared to die to defend you, and/or the most intimidating?

you may not agree, but to be honest after years of trying defferent breeds out iv'e found nothing comes anywhere this breed .

once they've been trained to this level of advanced home surrveillance you'll have no problems with intruders.

The police use them over the Doberman as they are not as intelligent, a Doberman will think the situation over before acting.. told to me by a police dog handler.. any decent sized dog will do for home protection.. doesnt have to be large.. think of the English bull.. good luck trying to get those bad boys off a burgular..

..or your children ;)

I don't think anybody should have a dog for personal protection, you can't expect a dog to always be aware of who is allowed in and who isn't.

However, dogs are useful for being loud when unannounced visitors arrive, I had a kid try the back door one night, the dog was there quicker than he could get to the door handle.

During my life (I have always lived with dogs, over 20 total) the most effective 'guard dog' was a Mechelse Sheppard (Belgian Sheppard) who protected my cot when I was born, not allowing my mum anywhere near... they had to let her go to another family.

I also had a Saint Bernard, the general perception of them is that they are big friendly giants but mine was from a bad line and as aggressive as they come. I had to have him put down after he went for my throat (Trust me, a 15 stone dog standing well over two meters tall on its backlegs is a scary thing when it loses it), just goes to show that breed isn't everything when it comes to personalities of dogs!

But you'll have to put up with the weekly mud bath :hihi:

L00b, why did you let a tractor run your dog over? :hihi:

---------- Post added 25-11-2013 at 14:46 ----------

Im sat next to mine now.

Is it called Cerberus?

L00b, why did you let a tractor run your dog over? :hihi:
As you see him there, he's actually trying to digest the tractor :twisted:

Bada55 or what? :hihi:

Edited by L00b

As you see him there, he's actually trying to digest the tractor :twisted:

Haha, not called JCB is he? ;)

Is it called Cerberus?

No, Hes called, Dave.

Hes big and black and very very stupid.

But i love him so :)

I don't think anybody should have a dog for personal protection, you can't expect a dog to always be aware of who is allowed in and who isn't.

However, dogs are useful for being loud when unannounced visitors arrive, I had a kid try the back door one night, the dog was there quicker than he could get to the door handle.

During my life (I have always lived with dogs, over 20 total) the most effective 'guard dog' was a Mechelse Sheppard (Belgian Sheppard) who protected my cot when I was born, not allowing my mum anywhere near... they had to let her go to another family.

I also had a Saint Bernard, the general perception of them is that they are big friendly giants but mine was from a bad line and as aggressive as they come. I had to have him put down after he went for my throat (Trust me, a 15 stone dog standing well over two meters tall on its backlegs is a scary thing when it loses it), just goes to show that breed isn't everything when it comes to personalities of dogs!

I think you're right to a certain extent. We've trained ours (well he's not mine - it's complicated;););)) to be friendly and calm and he is. But he's massive - it will put people off. We don't get many visitors but he's fine with postmen etc. But if the lady of the house is nervous or someone calls round and shes on her own, he's just a bit more alert and a bit more, well, protective (not agressive) he just sees that as part of job - he's not been taught to do it. That's developed over time. He sleeps at any given oppotunity and sleeps on my bed if I leave my door open - he's definately not been taught that!!!!!

Haha, not called JCB is he? ;)
He's been known to go by that...especially if there's rat-, rabbit- or fox holes about. Is it a dog? Is it an ant? I dunno, fact is he can shift 10+ times his weight in earth, if there's something worth going after down the hole :hihi:

"Sith", alternatively "Voldemort", are the most-frequently used names :twisted:

He's a liability for sure...but hell, he's our liability. And it was either that, or the needle, sooo...

All jokes and personals aside, two points more-or-less on topic:

The Romans preferred geese to dogs as alarm systems...and they knew a thing or two about dogs already.

Wire dachshunds are pocket-sized hardwired berzerkers and what they seemingly lack in size and presence, (way, way, way-) more than make up in aggressivity and hard headedness. I used to have one, many years ago (early 90s). He once grievously wounded a border guard's German Sheperd, another time I saw it pass by, dangling by the jaw from a wild boar on the run through thick brambles. Tough little bar stewards, let me tell you.

Edited by L00b