Road Re-surfacing in Woodseats

My street is currently being re-surfaced, this is what is underneath, it looks wonderful, but soon to be covered over again. What a pity, chatted to 4 neighbours and we all agree we would prefer it to looking like this, but that won't happen.

2013-11-24102708_zps16b94a4e.jpg

It'd be a lot easier to repair when damaged as well? Just a couple of guys with a few replacement cobbles. Whack em in, job's a gud 'un!

I was driving down that road the other day and thought how good they looked.

It is a pity they will be recovered.

I was driving down that road the other day and thought how good they looked.

It is a pity they will be recovered.

I remember driving over cobbled streets back in the days before they covered them up. You had to drive slowly or get shaken to bits (car, driver and passengers) and braking in the wet could be interesting, similar to the tramlines. That all had the effect of lowering speeds, except for the mad folk who ignore any road conditions. On the downside, it might wreck shock absorbers and suspensions and cause more accidents! Pedestrians would trip up on the uneven surface. Cyclists might also have something to say about the rough ride.

So there's a money saving tip for the council. Take off all the tarmac, uncover the cobbles and we'll all drive slower, use less energy etc. etc.! They'd just upset 99% of the population.

Our road is to be done in a couple of weeks.

They look fantastic, had exactly the same thought, save refilling all the potholes!

I remember driving over cobbled streets back in the days before they covered them up. You had to drive slowly or get shaken to bits (car, driver and passengers) and braking in the wet could be interesting, similar to the tramlines. That all had the effect of lowering speeds, except for the mad folk who ignore any road conditions. On the downside, it might wreck shock absorbers and suspensions and cause more accidents! Pedestrians would trip up on the uneven surface. Cyclists might also have something to say about the rough ride.

Surrey Street, for example.

In Woodseats I have noticed that they have started to plane off the surface of some of the side roads off Abbey lane, This has revealed almost perfect cobbles below.

The question, why can't these cobbles just be restored, its obviously a lot more hard wearing than the tarmac, and more pleasing to the eye.

If needed prisoners doing community service could clean them up with wire brushes.

What a fantastic example of York stone setts. Many years ago as an apprecentice with SYCC we learnt how to lay these and the only time i ever got a chance was at the bottom of West Street in a road between some refurbished blocks of flats. I wonder if they are still there?

In Woodseats I have noticed that they have started to plane off the surface of some of the side roads off Abbey lane, This has revealed almost perfect cobbles below.

The question, why can't these cobbles just be restored, its obviously a lot more hard wearing than the tarmac, and more pleasing to the eye.

If needed prisoners doing community service could clean them up with wire brushes.

Fantastic!

These are small side roads with little or no through traffic.

Should be great to have the cobbles back restored.