Where can I rent a stable for my horse in Sheffield?

So what if they damage the land? It is up to owners, yard or private to ensure they have enough land for the number of horses! We have 9 they ALL live out all year round and our land is clay, yet we do not even have mud! You have horses, you make sure you can provide for their every need. Including being a horse. We left our winter field end of march this year, by mid april the grass was half a foot high and the gateway and trough area had recovered very nicely. Its not an excuse to imprison horses. Its a welfare issue.

We have only used half a bale of haylage so far this winter, because we ensure we can provide what they need. And their grazing is still plentiful I doubt we will start getting through haylage until end of January and i bet we still dont have mud.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 21:23 ----------

And no, NewBiz you are not a lone voice. Ours are mostly TB and Arab bred horses, guess how many out of 9 even have a rug on yet.... one... an elderly TB mare. They have never been so healthy and happy as they are now, since we totally ditched stabling years back.

I'd like my own horse, after over half my life riding and loaning ones.

But Livery is so expensive here. It's such a shame.

So what if they damage the land? It is up to owners, yard or private to ensure they have enough land for the number of horses! We have 9 they ALL live out all year round and our land is clay, yet we do not even have mud! You have horses, you make sure you can provide for their every need. Including being a horse. We left our winter field end of march this year, by mid april the grass was half a foot high and the gateway and trough area had recovered very nicely. Its not an excuse to imprison horses. Its a welfare issue.

We have only used half a bale of haylage so far this winter, because we ensure we can provide what they need. And their grazing is still plentiful I doubt we will start getting through haylage until end of January and i bet we still dont have mud.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 21:23 ----------

And no, NewBiz you are not a lone voice. Ours are mostly TB and Arab bred horses, guess how many out of 9 even have a rug on yet.... one... an elderly TB mare. They have never been so healthy and happy as they are now, since we totally ditched stabling years back.

Brilliant to hear I'm not alone. Neither of mine are rugged, but my old girl had a light waterproof rug, a medium weight winter rug, and a heavy weight winter rug. She had always been incredibly nesh, and as they get old they are less able to control their own temperature. But with the 2 I have now, one Arab, one TB cross, I rug them in exceptional circumstances only. Fit as butcher's dogs, the pair of them, and happy as Larry!

Good to hear :) we only rug in terrible cold wet weather, their condition is amazing wish i knew how to add a photo here! They dont have stables, there is none here! healthy as and most are over 16 up to 24! all bar the 24 year old compete, all barefoot, all bitless, all winners. Had a smashing year. They felt amazing.

Mine are barefoot too. Though the TB cross does struggle at times with that. The Arab is fine, as amazingly was my old Arab girl when I sent her barefoot at 26. At that age she stopped dragging a back foot and wearing it straight, as soon as I took her shoes off! It's quite a revelation isn't it. By the way I've just started with the Paddock Paradise system, designed to help barefoot. Watch this space.

Ah we are planning a PP system next year :) with water and varying gravel, shelters and hay stations! more for the small natives to be honest !

Ah we are planning a PP system next year :) with water and varying gravel, shelters and hay stations! more for the small natives to be honest !

At last I've met a like minded person on here where horses are concerned! I've gone PP more to try and get some weight of my TB mare (she takes after the Welsh sec D side of her breeding, where metabolic rate's concerned) but will introduce hardcore/gravel etc for the feet in the spring/summer. Exciting!

Is she welsh cross TB? I have 2 of those! one good doer, one not so good! Yes we are all for the horse here, healthy happy horses. Good luck with it, ours is going to go right around 8 acres should be brilliant!

Is she welsh cross TB? I have 2 of those! one good doer, one not so good! Yes we are all for the horse here, healthy happy horses. Good luck with it, ours is going to go right around 8 acres should be brilliant!

Yes she's Welsh cob (sec D) cross and to describe her as a good doer is an understatement! They're both on a small feed of low cal chop, and small amounts of grass in addition to the track on the PP, and he still looks pregnant, and she's worse!

When I got her aged 3, she's now 16, she was underweight, depressed, and covered in lice. Never wanted to repeat the two latter, but have tried and failed to ever achieve a fraction of the former!

Ah ha sounds like our younger welsh cross TB, she came very lean but in no time, on very little feed and just hay looked in foal! unreal... i wish all of mine did as well! she looks well now, is out naked and at a decent weight for time of year hopefully will lose some before spring!

Ah ha sounds like our younger welsh cross TB, she came very lean but in no time, on very little feed and just hay looked in foal! unreal... i wish all of mine did as well! she looks well now, is out naked and at a decent weight for time of year hopefully will lose some before spring!

It was a shock to me having had Opal, the old Arab mare I had to have PTS in Feb. She needed loads of food, could eat quality grass all day long, and still be fine. When I got Mel, the underweight TB X I set about feeding her up, didn't take me long, and spent the intervening years battling to keep fat off her! You can't win.

Hi,

Just adding to this post as related...

Looking in Grenoside area for grazing/stables/paddock/land/fields to rent or buy.

Thanks,