Coming to terms with killing

Get a cat, mice don't hang around too long

Im a peaceful man and i like to think i have good values. I do my bit for the community, my neighbours and friends but recently i have had call to question my values and morals into question. I had a call from a distressed friend, some how she had managed to get mice in her house. They were all over it leaving their mess and damage throughout the home. She asked me if i could help her get rid of them so for the last few weeks ive been trying humane traps and non lethal ways of catching them releasing the mice outside.

Unfortunately the humane methods were not working and the mouse problem was getting worse and worse and my friend was getting more distressed.

So i purchased some poison from the supermarket.

The mice now seem to have gone and my friend is very grateful but im now racked with guilt. I cant stop myself from thinking about the family of mice i probably killed. I did try and had it been my own home i would have probably gone further down the humane route however my friend was desperate and sacred her babies would get hurt or catch some disease from the mice. I used to feel i was a good person. Now im not so sure.

Did i do the right thing?

Hi JB yes you did the right thing, mice are vermin don't beat yourself up over it, plus can you clear your inbox I'm trying to PM you to ask you a question my friend.

Pete

I personally could not have done it but it is done now and you have to live with it.

Not trying to sound harsh but beating yourself up over something that has happened is not going to do your mental health any good and it is not going to change the events which have already taken place.

I hope you find some peace with yourself, there are far far many worse things you could have done and the fact that you are even thinking about it with regrets says you are a good person.

Sleep easy :)

Thank you all. I feel somewhat better about it now ive put things in persepctive and listened to what you have had to say.

Thank you for making me see the reality.

And Pete, my inbox is clear now my friend :)

Peace and love to you all :)

That may not be true, historically puppys were put in a freezer to kill them,it probably was quicker (or perhaps nicer) than starving a new born pup to death.

Er...they didn't have freezers historically.

No you didn't do the right thing. My beautiful cat has just been killed by someone Inhumanely killing rats with rat poison !!! Never put rat poison down there are other ways and means of getting rid if rats !!

mice / rats you still put poison down !!! cats can eat mice/rats who have eaten poison this can cause a death. this is called secondary poisoning. maybe a bit of research before the decision was made not asking opinions after the fact

mice / rats you still put poison down !!! cats can eat mice/rats who have eaten poison this can cause a death. this is called secondary poisoning. maybe a bit of research before the decision was made not asking opinions after the fact

Unfortunately secondary poisoning is not something i considered however i now know. Thank you for the information.

Peace and love to you :)

Wow,

I can understand your anger in your distress at losing your cat to poisoning but to have a go at this guy who was only trying to help and is feeling pretty crappy already is not going to help matters.

I am truly sorry for your loss but Jewboy was not directly responsible for the death of your cat :(

The traps were like a 'No trespassing' sign, they ignored it.

I draw the line at those sticky pads you can buy, but I'd have thought the poison finished them off pretty quick, probably.