George Barnsley and Sons

Does anybody know much about the history of George Barnsley and Sons Nr Kelham Island in town?

Im looking for people who used to work there or know anything about its history to have a chat to about its current state. Its a beautiful old building, am wondering who its owned by and its future plans?

:):)

George Barnsley & Sons are an old-established Sheffield maker of shoe-making and leather working tools, and I believe the business still operates from the Mowbray Street address, and still involves the original Barnsley family. The company was based in Cornish Works for much of its existence. The Mowbray Street building is also occupied by Woodware Repetitions, an important maker of wooden tool handles.

Ahh great, ill look into that. I'm just confused as to why its stood empty! It's a really gorgeous building (Albeit a little run down)

Would be great to talk to some people who worked there, or find any old photos of it in its glory gays!

Are they any leather workers in Sheffield (cobblers perhaps) who could fit a new press stud to a leather knife sheaf?

Thanks

I have only just picked up this thread. With Colin Barnsley I wrote the history of the firm in 2010. The book is called Forging History, the story of George Barnsley and Sons, toolmakers. Can be found on Amazon and Colin has several copies at his works in Mowbray St.... Woodware Repetitions and George Barnsley and Sons. He will also tell you who owns the building. The building went from family hands in 2003 but Colin owns the name.

Contact details for both of us are in the book.

paulineb

My Grand father worked for them, during WW1 despite being in the T .A he was not allowed to join up as he was reserved occupation . Story was he made a special knife that was used in saddle making

It's a fascinating place, plenty of pictures regularly crop up on Urban Exploration sites, I presume you have seen already, but the place is a real time capsule. I'd love to look round one day, does anyone know who to contact to try to get permission?

EDIT, just noticed the OP is from 2013 lol