Brown Bayleys 1960,s staff

cor brown baileys I ued to go out to their garage to repair their truck when I was a diesel engineer I loved gong there another place I loved toing to was the NCB, to the pit's up barnsley you could get a 3 course meal for half a crown suburb way can't be many I didn't go two the best one was tetleys brewery in leeds and stones brewery and you could have as many pints of amber necter for nowt the same was goes for tone's at neepsend

Does anyone know what year Brown Bayleys closed?

I believe it closed in1981

Arthur had six children: four girls and two boys. Sadly, the two boys and Arthur (d 1973) are no longer with us. Three girls (they'll love that description) are still in Sheffield with the fourth having emigrated to Canada.

Does Alan have any photos of Brown Bayleys? If he has ,can I copy them or could you scan them.Thanks

Anyone remember Alan Thornton who worked at Brown Baileys as an aramature winder? Speaking to him yesterday he knew many of the names mentioned earlier in this thread.

Hi Frayava

My names Jeff Allsebrook.

I remember Alan, I was an apprentice Electrician there from 1971 and after completing my training moved to the melting shop where I was an Electrician till the firm closed in 81.

Stuart Casson was the Elecrical training gaffer when I started. I knew Graham Fieldsend,Chris Mullins and Pat Maloney,I'm fact Iwas talking to Pat on here a few weeks ago along withMalc Stuart. Gaffers names I remember were Dennis Merry,Albert Hunt, Keith Clixby and Len Milsom

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Keith Clixby.

He is a relative of mine and we went to the same school-Central Technical,Sheffield.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Keith Clixby.

He is a relative of mine and we went to the same school-Central Technical,Sheffield.

I last saw him in 1970 when I left Bayleys but somebody told me years ago that he lived in Skegness

Anyone use this pub Cocked Hat when Brown Bayleys was open across Rd

then knocked down to make way for the Sports Stadium.

Cocked Hat was on opposite corner from factory and was still standing when the stadium was built. Still there but don't think it's open now though

These pics was where sports stadium was and ex Brown Bayleys on

Attercliffe Rd.

A new site for Olympic Legaly park.

Edited by brian1941
Spelling

On 06/10/2014 at 20:08, sallyclarkes said:

i worked in BBs fitting shop in the mid 60s,im sure a les cousins was killed in a fall from a crane in the main rolling mill.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 20:12 ----------

does anyone remember Fred Orrel?was a fitter in the swageing dept,they made rover axles amongst other things in that dept.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 20:14 ----------

Albert Hartley was a forman fitter,Eric Webb was boss of all fitters,he was in subs during the war......brave feller.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 20:20 ----------

Stuart Casson was always late and always tired as an apprentice,but he got on ok.he must have grown out of it.

Ronnie Lee,or squire Lee as we called him used to run the mucky film shows in the overalls shop,usually on a friday,tame by todays standard.its no wonder BBs sunk,it was abysmally run.

aaremember Ronnie Lee and others starting as apprentices in 1963 -Dave Lewis /Neville Schofield etc  -indoctranation of fire with dirt, danger and foul language! Dodging the gaffer Wally Walshaw at the weekend to get extra pay and 9 pence an hour extra called condition money if you got a particularly filthy job. In the loco shed every weekend spent in the air raid shelter watching races on TV while claiming double time!  

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 20:23 ----------

Gordon Adamson in the tyre making shop,Neville Schofield,David Lewis,John Gillott.

---------- Post added 06-10-2014 at 20:31 ----------

the canteen dinners in the 60s at BBs were the best ive ever tasted,we as apps.were always given a big dinner,growing lads she used to say.lol.

---------- Post added 07-10-2014 at 15:54 ----------

Amos Richards was another old timer,he worked in the tyre forge.every dinner time he went to feedwater his pigeons in Darnall,he had them on the hillside overlooking Darnall.hed get back just in time to clock out.being a fitter had its perks,lol.

On 10/10/2014 at 22:24, Blade53 said:

I particularly remember mid-morning breaks. Sam would often open a tin of pilchards and put them between two slices of bread, to be dipped into a massive mug of tea made with fussels milk. Everyone would would groan which Sam found hilarious.

Obviously fond memories but the abuse and bullying that guy took for being the only coloured fitter was beyond belief.

Coates, Bob and his father, both worked at Brown Bayleys in the 60's, They lived at Hackenthorpe at the time, I think the father may have driven a steam lorry but might be mixing him up with someone else.

On 28/11/2013 at 14:18, macstewart said:

The last time I saw Les Cousins was at Unbreako Steels in Kiveton where he was the Engineer and also Alec Foggatt worked at Sparton Steels as the Engineer in Templeboro when I worked for Yorkshire Electricity.

Alec Froggat worked at LSM