SKY tv cancelled but still paying

Please can someone advise.I changed from Sky tv to Virgin Tv and broadband and was told at the Virgin shop by the staff member that they had cancelled with Sky and all sorted.I have checked my bank account and the Sky direct debit has still been taken.I should have checked before, but its now 6 months that Im paying both.I have now cancelled Sky direct debit.Would Sky refund me as Ive not used their services? Please help.

Hi. I work for sky and can confirm that Virgin cannot cancel tv as it comes from a dish rather than the cables used by Virgin

You will need to call and cancel the account with sky but you will have to give the normal notice period of 31days. Speak to Virgin as you have been misinformed they may credit your virgin account with the amount of your sky bill. Never know worth a shot

All I can do is sympathise.

Sky are the worst company ever and I would rather pickle my ass in acid than go with them again.

After 14 years and having the full deal with Sky I decided to give them a ring to see what discount I could get after a neighbour told me the fantastic offer they got a 12 month deal for half price.

When I called, they were only willing to give me a 10% discount for 6 months and bearing in mind they had just hiked up my bill!

I cancelled and at first thought I'd regret it.....but I haven't! I got a you-view box with Talk talk (my phone provider) this enables me to record/rewind etc any channels that are free, it was free too! It gives you the option of buying channels on a pay/month basis if you wish. I also took up Netflix that is only 5 quid a month and great for kids tv and other stuff.

I'd never go back to Sky again, even the football got boring in the end.

Sky are the worst company ever and I would rather pickle my ass in acid than go with them again.

I don't see how this is Sky fault. Virgin cant cancel a sky subscription and so the OP was misinformed by the Virgin salesman.

---------- Post added 22-11-2013 at 13:11 ----------

After 14 years and having the full deal with Sky I decided to give them a ring to see what discount I could get after a neighbour told me the fantastic offer they got a 12 month deal for half price.

When I called, they were only willing to give me a 10% discount for 6 months and bearing in mind they had just hiked up my bill!

I cancelled and at first thought I'd regret it.....but I haven't! I got a you-view box with Talk talk (my phone provider) this enables me to record/rewind etc any channels that are free, it was free too! It gives you the option of buying channels on a pay/month basis if you wish. I also took up Netflix that is only 5 quid a month and great for kids tv and other stuff.

I'd never go back to Sky again, even the football got boring in the end.

You do know you could have just had your Sky viewing card changed to a freesat style one and you would have had all the same functionality that you have described (except for the pay for channels) without having to sign up to youview or pay for a youview box.

I'm with Sky but I'm considering ditching it for freesat and a NowTV box for £4.99 a month.

Edited by WeX

I'm with Sky but I'm considering ditching it for freesat and a NowTV box for £499 a month.

Wow..that makes SKY look a reasonable price... :)

Wow..that makes SKY look a reasonable price... :)

hahaha, there is a missing full stop there :)

I don't see how this is Sky fault. Virgin cant cancel a sky subscription and so the OP was misinformed by the Virgin salesman.

---------- Post added 22-11-2013 at 13:11 ----------

You do know you could have just had your Sky viewing card changed to a freesat style one and you would have had all the same functionality that you have described (except for the pay for channels) without having to sign up to youview or pay for a youview box.

I'm with Sky but I'm considering ditching it for freesat and a NowTV box for £4.99 a month.

What and still use the record? when I ask Sky this they said it couldn't be done.:o - makes sense now.

Also I just renewed my contract with TT, I got my bill 5 quid cheaper and a free you view box so it means I got Nflix for nothing.

I bet you wouldn't, I mean having major acid damage to all of your skin and muscle or watching sky, I'm 100% sure if given the choice of these thing actually happening then you would choose sky.

What and still use the record? when I ask Sky this they said it couldn't be done.:o - makes sense now.

Also I just renewed my contract with TT, I got my bill 5 quid cheaper and a free you view box so it means I got Nflix for nothing.

I may be wrong as so far I can't find any info on the sky+ box being able to record after you have ended your subscription.

Do what I did. Get rid of vile pick pocket companies like Sky and BT and buy a FreeSat box (£200) and enjoy freeview and record your programmes and save, save, save!

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android