Conveyancing quote

Hello

We are buying our first home and need some conveyance quotes. We have had a good quite from a solicitors in hull but have been advised to use someone more local.

The estate agents have quoted us using someone in Sheffield and they can email the documents etc to the estate agents for us to sign... What's stopping the one in hull from sending them??

Any who... Any good decent but not over expensive ones to use in and around Sheffield or Rotherham

Thanks

Who advised you to use someone local?

Location is not majorly important with conveyancing.

Have the Hull solicitors said they can not email the estate agent requirements?

Don't be swayed towards price, sometimes it can be worthwhile spending a few extra hundred to make it go more smoothly.

When I was buying my house the estate agents tried to get me to use a certain solicitor, they charged me a fee for doing so (this was to the estate agent and separate to the solicitors fee), turned out it was a kind of call centre set up, they were rubbish. I got rid of them (although lost this extra fee) and ended up going with Taylor Emmet, they were brilliant all the way through.

I would say ask around your friends and see if anyone has any recommendations, I would be reluctant to go with who the estate agent recommends unless you are sure there is nothing in it for them

We are currently using Coates Solicitors, they can give you a quote online, we found them to be very reasonable.

http://www.coatessolicitors.co.uk/free-conveyancing-quote.aspx

They have been super quick, sent our contracts out within 2 days of receiving our paperwork and have been very helpful.

They still sent most documents by 1st class post but they arrived next day so it was all very efficient - I'm not sure why your own solicitors in hull couldn't do the same though!

Also...The estate agents don't really need to be involved once they have handled the offer they just need to email the offer to your solicitors, then they take over - talk directly to your solicitors and to the people you are buying from if you can get their details.

We had a delay form our sellers because they were waiting for the estate agents to get in contact with the solicitors for them instead of doing it themselves. This wasted about 2 weeks. We went directly to our solicitors on the day of the offer and all the documents were with us within a few days.

Edited by Windra

Also...The estate agents don't really need to be involved once they have handled the offer they just need to email the offer to your solicitors, then they take over - talk directly to your solicitors and to the people you are buying from if you can get their details.

We had a delay form our sellers because they were waiting for the estate agents to get in contact with the solicitors for them instead of doing it themselves. This wasted about 2 weeks. We went directly to our solicitors on the day of the offer and all the documents were with us within a few days.

I agree with this, when I was involved with the solicitors that the estate agent wanted me to use, everything went via the estate agent, delayed everything and it was like they worked for the estate agent instead of me.

Get your own solicitor who works for you, keep the lines of communication open with the solicitor and everything should be fine, the estate agent is there to sell the house only, once the offer is in its down to the solicitors

We are currently using Coates Solicitors, they can give you a quote online, we found them to be very reasonable.

http://www.coatessolicitors.co.uk/free-conveyancing-quote.aspx

They have been super quick, sent our contracts out within 2 days of receiving our paperwork and have been very helpful.

They still sent most documents by 1st class post but they arrived next day so it was all very efficient - I'm not sure why your own solicitors in hull couldn't do the same though!

I also use Coates solicitors, top class service and I always recommend this firm to people.

http://www.coatessolicitors.co.uk/home.aspx

Ive got various varied wuotes over the past few days but In the end we are using the ones in hull. They were recommended by our mortgage advisor (who's a good mate) they have emailed a batch of documents over to sign and return.

The estate agents would get £250-300 commission if we used their recommendation.

Edited by GRUSS

Conclusion: always order the EA and solicitors- in writing- to disclose the 'secret' commission passing between them, unknown to you as payer. Such commission is often unlawful, e.g. if you're the unsuspecting vendor who engages the EA. An agent, both EA and solicitor, has a legal duty to its principal [= you] to disclose secret commissions.

Conclusion: always order the EA and solicitors- in writing- to disclose the 'secret' commission passing between them, unknown to you as payer. Such commission is often unlawful, e.g. if you're the unsuspecting vendor who engages the EA. An agent, both EA and solicitor, has a legal duty to its principal [= you] to disclose secret commissions.

Why should a vendor care?

Why should a vendor care?

Because the vendor is paying for something that should be free- referral to a competent professional.