Late 50s Grammar Schools

Tall member of staff, with gown, Andy Walker?

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~exy1/NEGS/abbeydale.html - more staff names.

Biltcliffe used to play the organ for the Halle/Sheffield Philharmonic Chorus - concerts.

George Linstead who was music critic for the defunct Sheffield/Morning Telegraph was once a member of staff and there was also a Maths teacher called Ron Bee who wrote a geometrical text called "Bee & Gray".

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~exy1/NEGS/teachers.html

There's a photo here of the whole school in 1954

http://history.youle.info/NEGS/photos/1954_panarama.jpg

I can name many of the masters on there but don't recognise Ramsbottom - who's the one to the right of Claude Raines with the

glasses ?

Found myself on there but no longer look like that, I am now disguised with bald head and handlebar moustache.

Claud Raines is between Charlie Simpson and Gus Platt.

Mike

Owler Lane was a scolarship pass, but was termed an Intermediate school the same as Marlcliffe. The uniform was grey and maroon and the motto "Per Ardua Ad Alta". I attended there until Xmas 1959. HM was Pop Gregory, others, Fairest, Boardman, MacDonald, Pegg, Holmes, Gladsby, Lupton and others I cannot remember.

I also attended Owler Lane Intermediate, leaving in July 1957. Remember all those names you mentioned. You forget to mention Dolly Hardwick, Miss Wade, Miss Steward, Miss Unwin. There is another site on Owler Lane if you are interested!

Simpson was as I thought, - another mystery is the one who took us for Latin - sitting between Buchan and Fielding. I liked that man - he had the difficult job of teaching Latin with a lisp.

I recognise the faces of most of my year on that photo but can put names to no more than fifteen of them now. I couldn't initially identify myself without reference to another picture of about a year later !

Can't miss Freddie Potts with his galss-bottom optics, - even with them I don't believe he could see more than five feet in front of him :D

Did you ever get slippered by Buchan ? - it seemed to be a badge of honour in the first year (I think it meant he liked you ;))

Mostly happy days !

Hi Greybeard,

I missed the honour of being slippered by Len Buchan as he never taught me. I understand he was a sarcastic piece of turf. Joe Fielding was responsible for my slim grasp of the language throughout my six years at NEGS.

The chap between Fielding and Buchan, whose name escapes you, is Pop Houldsworth who filled in with my form for a couple of maths lessons. Besides Latin, I understand that he also taught Greek (the classical variety).

Do you remember (Flo) Nightingale, Chemistry, who used a bunsen burner tube as his particular instrument of torture?

Regards,

Mike

Buchan had an obsession with the negative, continuous and passive forms of the subjunctive, if you could get that right you were home and dry - and generally unslippered :)

I too had Fielding for English most of my time there- he was well liked. Potts is the only science master I remember well as I dropped physics and chemistry at an early stage.

Do you remember Sellars (sp?) ? - he's on the photo. He used to reek of stale tobacco and seemed to pop-out for a few drags at least once every lesson.

Hi,

Yes I do remember Spiv Sellars, wasn't he geography? I think he took me for one year but I think Joe Fielding, as well as English, taught me most of my geography.

Similarly, I think Freddy Potts taught me chemistry for one year and Palmer for a couple of years but I gave it up and actually took Physics-with-Chemistry for GCE. I think Whaley taught that. That contained enough science for my eventual employment in aerial photography.

I went to Grange Grammar School from 1963 - 1967. Our uniform was brown and our badge was a red squirrel. Miss Rawlings was still head and Miss Rigby was still strutting her stuff. I remember that our day finished earlier to prevent us from associating with Abbeydale Boys!

We had the two beautiful old buildings of the Grange and Holt House and various prefabs in between. Beautiful setting but a dreadful establishment as far as education was concerned. SAY NO TO SINGLE SEX SCHOOLS!!:rant:

Re Nether Edge/Abbeydale

Think Ken Ramsbottom is between Potts and Simpson on the schoool photo.

Andy Walker once dived into a swimming baths, cracked his head on the bottom and broke his neck. He was at school for ages with a cast round his head.

I started at Grange Grammar in 1958 but because we knew we were moving to Derbyshire I was allowed to not wear uniform. On the school photo I stand out being the only girl in a kilt instead of uniform. Three years later we were back in Sheffield and I returned to GG which was far better than the horrible snobby Lady Manners School in Bakewell, where I was bullied by kids and teachers. Ruined my education having to go there.

I'm mystified by that and remember the brown uniforms which I thought were those of Grange Grammar School. The schools from Bannerdale Road outwards were the Abbeydale Girls GS, then Grange followed by Abbeydale Boys GS at Hastings Road. Obviously, I see they were the "Grange Buildings" becase it was Grange Grammar School. I had some friends who went there.

My take on Hurlfield and its location is pretty much as described by PT and would be confirmed in threads of CTS/Ashleigh?

I went to Grange grammar School and have the 1963 school magazine here(when I was in the 5th Form (5a)).It quotes that Grange is 25yrs old this year . It opened in 1938 as Hurlfield Secondary and changed to Hurlfield Grammar in 1944.later changing to Grange grammar school situated mainly in two old houses and many prefabs, next door to Abbeydale Boys. The badge was a squirrel and the uniform was mainly brown with yellow blouse.

I seem to recall a Greystones grammer near Ringinglow road, long time ago

could be wrong,memory banks failing.

I went to Greystones from Annes Road School in 1948 and in answer to Chairboy the uniform was navy blue blazer ,grey trousers and BLACK shoes(you got detention if you dressed any other way)The Headmaster was Mr Reaman and we were split into four Houses - Furnival (green) Lovetots (red) Talbots (yellow) Howards (blue)