Late 50s Grammar Schools

Yes I'm in it too. Fourth row down, right hand side to the left of the chap with the teddy boy hairstyle (Phil Porter). Difficult to number from the right as the row doesn't go right to the end.

Perhaps some former Grange girls can enlighten us as to when Grange GS for Girls opened? It later moved to form part of the King Ecgbert school at Dore.

I don't remember Hurlfield in your context but I can be wrong.

There's a note about Hurfield Girls Grammar School here...

http://www.chrishobbs.com/abgs5.htm

My mother and both her sisters went to a school on this site but before the new school was built in 1939 and I now can't remember whether it was Hurlfield or Abbeydale Girls Secondary School.

Quite a fascinating site. Wilkinson certainly taught at Abbeydale but when and where he qualified, I'm not sure, given his footballing career. Another footballer of similar vintage was Stuart Threapleton who I remember playing for Hallam.

I looked at the masters' page and saw some names with which I am familiar.

G.F. Linstead who was the Morning Telegraph music critic, covering the Halle's Philharmonic Concerts at the City Hall.

Carl Biltcliffe - who received bollockings himself from no lesser person than Sir John Barbirolli. Biltcliffe was the organist for the Halle.

Ronald Bee, who with co-author Gray, wrote a trigonometrical text - from which I learnt and later taught!

Andy Walker who went on to teach me. It's a very good picture of him. He played trumpet in a trad jazz group that played in a West Street pub!

This is top-notch nostalgia. Full marks to site coordinator.

On trying to find "Hurlfield", I arrived at Richard Caborn on Wikipedia, where it says: "Educated at Hurlfield comprehensive school". I note that he was born in 1943 so by the time he'd left school, comprehensive schools hadn't been born - so that's erroneous!

I remember Andy Walker well but I'm afraid that he didn't play trumpet with the Apex Jazz Band at the Hallamshire, he played banjo.

At this time, I played double bass with the Gloryland across West Street at the Mail Coach.

I remember Andy Walker well but I'm afraid that he didn't play trumpet with the Apex Jazz Band at the Hallamshire, he played banjo.

At this time, I played double bass with the Gloryland across West Street at the Mail Coach.

Andy Walker - "Played Trad Jazz (trumpet) in Pub West Street." - quote from site!

As I was still at school, I wouldn't have seen him playing whatever it was!

Sorry, I hadn't considered your comparative youth. I started playing when I was in the sixth form. Incidentally, Carl Biltcliffe was my music teacher at school but my mother also taught music.

Regards, M

My mother and both her sisters went to a school on this site but before the new school was built in 1939 and I now can't remember whether it was Hurlfield or Abbeydale Girls Secondary School.

Thanks for that link which explains the Hurlfield/Grange link.

1954 then when Grange Grammar School assumed it's name and place sandwiched between the two Abbeydale GS's.

Thanks for that link which explains the Hurlfield/Grange link.

1954 then when Grange Grammar School assumed it's name and place sandwiched between the two Abbeydale GS's.

Well not quite :) I'm not sure when they started building the boys grammar school but probably not until 1957. My recollection is that the girls in brown were still Hurlfied in 1956 and those in blue were Abbeydale Grammar.

But to be honest, after sports on Friday the little group I mixed with were more interested in a game of snooker under the Abbeydale cinema than gawking the girls :D

on the site greybeard links to, it says:-

"In 1918 Holt House was bought from the Firth family by Sheffield Education Committee to house Abbeydale Girls Secondary School later to become Abbeydale Grammar School. The School was housed here until the new school was built in 1939. The Grange then became part of Hurfield Girls Grammar School sharing a building with the Arbourthorne Central Junior School (my italics)

Arbourthorne school (which has been on Eastern Avenue since the 1930s, icluding the rebuild in the mid 2000's) could not possibly have transposed itself four miles across the city to the hastings road area.

the two old houses, Holt house and the Grange, which were Sixth-form centre when I was at AGS, were the beautiful old buildings which housed holt house and Grange grammar schools prior to the 1930s building going up (the girls' school, latterly AGS upper School)

Hi There definitely was a grammar school called Hurlfield along Abbeydale Road in the 50's. Richard Caborn went to Hurlfield Boys Secondary Modern - that was on East Bank Road, and is now called Myrtle Springs (or was until last year). Iwas in the same class as Richard and we left in 1958.

Well not quite :) I'm not sure when they started building the boys grammar school but probably not until 1957. My recollection is that the girls in brown were still Hurlfied in 1956 and those in blue were Abbeydale Grammar.

But to be honest, after sports on Friday the little group I mixed with were more interested in a game of snooker under the Abbeydale cinema than gawking the girls :D

Sorry, distracted by the Grange article. I'd confirmed on page 4 that Abbeydale Boys Grammar School moved from the Nether Edge GS site in September 1958.