Late 50s Grammar Schools

Hi Plain Talker,

Many thanks for your welcome; I am only new to SF, I already subscribe to my village forum. Hopefully I will now come across some of my old friends after 48 years absence lol.

Regards, Mike :D

No one has mentioned a school in the Totley area - was there a Dore and Totlley Grammar school??

No one has mentioned a school in the Totley area - was there a Dore and Totlley Grammar school??

I think there was but as far as I know it was a private school and obviously pupils were charged fees! If my (old) memory serves me correct, they wore a uniform based on brown, but I maybe wrong there. I'm not certain if it was an all girls school too. I was at King Ecgbert (which was all girls at the time), not far away and so used to come across pupils on the buses.

Don't remember a school there; Girls' High School and Hurlfield (next door to Abbeydale) wore brown, as did we at Nether Edge up to about 1953 when it changed to black.

Nobody has mentioned Carfield, not a grammar but an intermediate like Marcliff. I think it was at Meersbrook (is that a place in Sheffield?) but it was relocated to Norton and became Rowlinson Technical School

Don't remember a school there; Girls' High School and Hurlfield (next door to Abbeydale) wore brown, as did we at Nether Edge up to about 1953 when it changed to black.

Nobody has mentioned Carfield, not a grammar but an intermediate like Marcliff. I think it was at Meersbrook (is that a place in Sheffield?) but it was relocated to Norton and became Rowlinson Technical School

Hurlfield is not near Abbeydale, Hurlfield was near Manor Top. Things changed, there, throughout the late 70's into the 80s, there was no uniform, then, once it merged with Ashleigh, and became "Myrtle Springs", they brought uniform back, a maroon sweatshirt with the school's rainbow logo, over a white polo shirt.

these days it, and Waltheof, on Manor, have been taken over by one of these christian PFI -ish things like the one owned by Reg Vardy of Car sales fame, up in Sunderland, and is called something like "Sheffield Springs Academy", it has a uniform, black blazer, white shirt, and school tie IIRC.

Hi PT,

Just checked on Friends Reunited and it is shown as Hurlfield Grammar School, The Grange Buildings, Millhouses, Sheffield.

Regards, Mike

Hi PT,

Just checked on Friends Reunited and it is shown as Hurlfield Grammar School, The Grange Buildings, Millhouses, Sheffield.

Regards, Mike

I'm mystified by that and remember the brown uniforms which I thought were those of Grange Grammar School. The schools from Bannerdale Road outwards were the Abbeydale Girls GS, then Grange followed by Abbeydale Boys GS at Hastings Road. Obviously, I see they were the "Grange Buildings" becase it was Grange Grammar School. I had some friends who went there.

My take on Hurlfield and its location is pretty much as described by PT and would be confirmed in threads of CTS/Ashleigh?

Hi Chairboy,

Your information noted however, I think we are operating in different time zones. You write of Abbeydale boy's school being on the site at Hastings Road but that didn't come about until the mid 60's. When I was at Nether Edge, our playing field was at Hastings Road and different school years used it on different days. After spending an afternoon there, we exited via the Abbeydale Girls Grammar School and went home on the tram, from the gate. We shared that tram with girls from both schools. I left Nether Edge in 1956. The new school was subsequently built on the playing field site.

I think the Hurlfield girls had a blazer badge which was a monogrom of HGS; I remember feeling, at the time that it could be confused with girls high school.

Could it be that the school name was changed because of PT's Hurlfield being formed at Manor Top?

Regards, Mike

Thank you Chairboy, two years after I left. All I can say for the moment is that some 80 former pupils listed on Friends claim to have attended the Hurlfield Grammar School to which I referred. I will give the matter some more thought when I have time.

I am getting vibes from my wife downstairs that I have been on the net too long today.

Regards, M

Perhaps some former Grange girls can enlighten us as to when Grange GS for Girls opened? It later moved to form part of the King Ecgbert school at Dore.

I don't remember Hurlfield in your context but I can be wrong.