Late 50s Grammar Schools

So you could understand the school song, 'Tempus est ut concinamus etc'.

It was our class, I think in about '58 who christened 'Ponto'. Also 'Shorty Burns'. Ginger haired chemistry teacher we called Red Fred as we happened to be discussing triplumbic tetroxide commonly known as red lead.

'Billy's Bus' was the single decker number 44 to Bamford as Billy Effron lived Moscar way. He was as old as the hills and taught French, Geography and was well versed in many other subjects. Mr Twyford was called 'Twiddles' for som unknown reason.

"Quisquis Edwardensium"

Forgot to mention Norman Barnes, music teacher and E L Vernon, chemistry.

I recall I got lots of house points for swimming and PE, but only because I was in Chatsworth House and PE / Swimming teacher Harrison was the House master.

Was it Harrison? not sure now, need some more brain powders.

"Quisquis Edwardensium"

Forgot to mention Norman Barnes, music teacher and E L Vernon, chemistry.

I recall I got lots of house points for swimming and PE, but only because I was in Chatsworth House and PE / Swimming teacher Harrison was the House master.

Was it Harrison? not sure now, need some more brain powders.

Norman Barnes once asked me if I'd like to sing in Ranmoor choir but that wasn't my scene. He had digs in Watt Lane Crosspool. There was a physics teacher, quite old, round glasses, small but I can' remember his name. I've still got all my school reports somewhere so his name will be on there. I had J.B.A. Burridge for history in my second year. He appeared quite fearsome but it was his way of making sure everyone did their homework. We had a Latin teacher we called Marcus Gaslampus cos of his great height. Watling??

'Jim' Harrison could often be seen working out in the gym but I think someone told me he died of a heart attack when he was only 40 something.

Was it quidquid or quisquis Edwardensium?. Mr Hemmings took us for German.

When we were travelling from Whiteley Woods to Castle Dyke, he would yell at us 'Come on, jomp on the boss! My form Masters were 'Tug' Wilson, Billy Effron, George Lair, Bert Towers, 'Fred' Etherington and Tom Tailor.

I passed the 11+ at Hatfield House Lane school in 1943 & went to Firth Park Grammar school, the red caps, I think my father had to pay towards my books. It was only boys then.

Hi eileent, you must have come into contact with a few of my old teachers at AGGS - Misses Partridge, Evans, Durrant, Jean Smith, Schmidt, to name a few. Like you, I thought Dr, Green was old when I was there and behind her back I used to think of her as Julius Ceasar. I can always remember one Saturday morning when I was reserve for the hockey team and I had to spend the entire game walking up and down the sidelines with her, she must have thought I was dumb as I just didn't know what to talk about. I don't think the kids of today would have that problem. The grounds were certainly beautiful and I recall doing many lessons in the shade of the beach trees ,they were good days that I have never forgotten. Send me a pm if you like and perhaps we can share some memories

Hi Gosling,You must have been there a little later than me as it was all girls in my time.Things must have changed if you had Dr Green connected with hockey.It was just the class room teachers that took us.

I would love a digital image of the original badge[is there another sort?if anyone has one!

Thanks for resurrecting this page - thought it had died some time ago. Which girls school had burgandy uniforms in the late 50's and 60's? I'm hoping to track down Sandra Wragg who went to this particular school. If any old timers recall the school or Sandra, it would be greatly appreciated. p.s. I have received a couple of pm's on other subjects, but seem to be having trouble opening them, please don't lose faith I will find out what the problem is and respond. Thankyou.

Brincliffe Grammar School is often overlooked in these discussions. It replaced the old Nether Edge Grammar school which transferred to Abbeydale in 1958 and I think it was the only 'mixed' grammar school in Sheffield. It shutdown altogether in 1964 or 1965 when Blunkett finally got his way and abolished grammar schools in Sheffield.

Not sure if De La salle and Notre Dame could be considered as grammar schools, I know they were fee paying Roman Catholic schools but STR they admitted some kids on scholarships.

Heaven forbid I should defend Blunkett on any score, but I don't think you can hold that one against him Greybeard, he was still at school himself! (Though I'm sure if they'd still been around when he led the Council they wouldn't have lasted long!)

King Edwards School Song.....

Hi, Mike, I don't know if you've found this website yet, but they have the old school song on there, including a translation....!!!

http://www.oldedwardians.org.uk

There's loads of photos from your time there as well!!!! Happy Hunting......

King Edwards School Song.....

Hi, Mike, I don't know if you've found this website yet, but they have the old school song on there, including a translation....!!!

http://www.oldedwardians.org.uk

There's loads of photos from your time there as well!!!! Happy Hunting......

Thanks Carol. The photo of me in form 1(2) 1954-5 makes me wonder if I ever was that person. The camera never lies. Funny how I remember the school song. Haven't sung it since 1959, and then badly. Wonder if its still sung. Surely not!

My father (DOB 14.04.1935) went to Firth Park Grammar and was a 'redcap', he was the school and Sheffield Boys FC keeper aswell, any body out there remeber or know of him Eric Broughton? (originally from the manor)

Was it quidquid or quisquis Edwardensium?.

Having checked on the aforementioned KES site, it was apparently "quicquid" although there was a "quisquis" in verse 2. Well that's cleared that up.

The site also brought back to me the name of one of the teachers "Charlie" Baker, who replaced Eli Vout in R.E. He was a sadist who would cane you just for breathing loud, or coughing, and used to take a few practice swings with the cane right outside the door so that the pupils could see him through the glass.

We are in touch with Charles Cameron Baker, once of KES (and also Anderson, mentioned earlier) ... (Old Edwardians)

Thanks for resurrecting this page - thought it had died some time ago. Which girls school had burgandy uniforms in the late 50's and 60's? I'm hoping to track down Sandra Wragg who went to this particular school. If any old timers recall the school or Sandra, it would be greatly appreciated. p.s. I have received a couple of pm's on other subjects, but seem to be having trouble opening them, please don't lose faith I will find out what the problem is and respond. Thankyou.

Just found this forum/thread but thought I'd answer the uniforms query.

One school that has hardly had a mention (just one in passing!) was King Ecgbert Secondary Technical School for Girls to give it the full title when I was there!!! I was there in the early 60's and wore the uniform of maroon and light blue. Winter was blue blouse and maroon pinafore dress and summer dresses were blue and we had maroon caridgans, blazers and raincoats. Maybe Sandra went to this school although I don't recall the name.

Miss Rawlins was mentioned in a previous post and she taught games whilst I was at the school and the head was Miss Janet Coates (usually known as Kitty). Miss Rawlins took over as head when she left. Other teachers I can remember are Miss Byard, Miss Lent, Mrs French, Mr Solway, Mrs Singleton, but most well known and probably most well liked was Mr Shaw who taught mainly commercial classes (office work/typing/shorthand etc).

Anyone recall any more from that era?