Late 50s Grammar Schools

I too went to Abbeydale Girls Grammar, and was there at the transition to Abbeydale Grange, which had the geometric badge. Abbeydale Girls' badge had the school motto on it "And trouthe shal deliver" (Chaucer) - I still have mine. And I remember not being allowed to go within a certain distance from the walled boundary with the boys school - was it ten feet or something? I originally accessed this site in the hope of finding out what happened to our headmistress, Dr Green, who took the opportunity to retire when the schools merged. While my mother was alive, I know she would have alerted me to any news she saw in the local paper, but she died two years ago, and I no longer have a spy in the area. Does anyone know?

What about King Edwards Grammar and also my old school, the City Grammar School off Leopold Street. That was, I believe, the first mixed grammar school. The web site is Omnes Amici.

I've just looked back through the thread and you are absolutely correct D.S. I am amazed that King Edward V11 and the green and red uniform of City Grammar hadn't been mentioned.

The iron fist of Clapton ruled King Ted's in those days, a school which was accepted as being top of the list? City Grammar, along with the Central Technical School buildings are currently being developed into a 21st Century project, a hotel and other facilities etc. Iron railings across Bow Yard used to separate the girls of CGS and the lustful boys at the CTS!

http://www.omnesamici.co.uk/CGS2001STAR.html

Hi Forester, it was nice to hear from someone who went to AGGS even though you went there at a later date. I too still have my badge and when I first arrived in Oz I wore it in the hope that I would meet another former pupil of the school, but no such luck. Dr Green was rather formidable wasn't she? Though I always found her to be fair. A few of the teachers who might have been there in your time were Misses Partridge, Evans, Schmidt. I remember not being allowed anywhere near the boys school and also not being allowed to eat in the street whilst in our uniforms. I enjoyed my time there and regretted having to leave at the end of my fifth year.

I seem to recall a Greystones grammer near Ringinglow road, long time ago

could be wrong,memory banks failing.

Greystones was a Secondary Modern

Firth Park Grammar was all boys then, and generally known as the Redcaps, because of the school uniform of red blazers and caps. The badge had the words "Each for all and all for each" . However the sixth form had a different uniform of dark blue blazers with a more elaborate badge with latin around the bottom, "Non Nobis Sed Allis". Anyone guess what the usual translation was?:thumbsup:

not for ourselves but for others.

According to a spy (my wife) Rabbi was alive and kicking two years ago and living just off Carter Knowle Rd (Glenorchy?)

Thanks for the details about the AGGS badge.I was at Abbeydale starting 1947 for 7 years before all the changes.The grounds were absolutely beautiful in those days,very extensive.We used to watch red squirrels jumping from tree to tre in the winter from the Geography room

I thought Dr Green was old when I was there but of course she wasn't really and I know was still there many years later

King Ted's had Clapton as head, the diminutive but evil Jackson as dep head, and others by the name of Bridgewater (who was nicknamed "Ponto", from the French for Bridgewater - Pont / Eau), Thompson (slug), Harrison, Twyford, Helliwell, Bert Towers, and the scoutmaster, Anderson (who went a long way to getting scout masters a bad reputation.)

I've still not figured out why I had to do 3 years of Latin........

King Ted's had Clapton as head, the diminutive but evil Jackson as dep head, and others by the name of Bridgewater (who was nicknamed "Ponto", from the French for Bridgewater - Pont / Eau), Thompson (slug), Harrison, Twyford, Helliwell, Bert Towers, and the scoutmaster, Anderson (who went a long way to getting scout masters a bad reputation.)

I've still not figured out why I had to do 3 years of Latin........

So you could understand the school song, 'Tempus est ut concinamus etc'.

It was our class, I think in about '58 who christened 'Ponto'. Also 'Shorty Burns'. Ginger haired chemistry teacher we called Red Fred as we happened to be discussing triplumbic tetroxide commonly known as red lead.

'Billy's Bus' was the single decker number 44 to Bamford as Billy Effron lived Moscar way. He was as old as the hills and taught French, Geography and was well versed in many other subjects. Mr Twyford was called 'Twiddles' for som unknown reason.

Hi eileent, you must have come into contact with a few of my old teachers at AGGS - Misses Partridge, Evans, Durrant, Jean Smith, Schmidt, to name a few. Like you, I thought Dr, Green was old when I was there and behind her back I used to think of her as Julius Ceasar. I can always remember one Saturday morning when I was reserve for the hockey team and I had to spend the entire game walking up and down the sidelines with her, she must have thought I was dumb as I just didn't know what to talk about. I don't think the kids of today would have that problem. The grounds were certainly beautiful and I recall doing many lessons in the shade of the beach trees ,they were good days that I have never forgotten. Send me a pm if you like and perhaps we can share some memories