Late 50s Grammar Schools

Jesus,

very strange, sat here talking with my Mother and girlfriend. The murders were very close to us (as in where we lived) our best friends at the time lived next door to them. freaky to come across this after searching for info on the whole episode.

My GF is from Denmark n we were trying to tell her all about this horrific event!

I think Celcad has posted onto the wrong thread-----unless------one of the teachers at the old NEGS was a mass murderer, creeping round the corridors like a 1950's Jack the Ripper. Knowing the old grammar school teachers, that is a distinct possibility !

Or Albert ? Or Robertshaw ? ........plenty of suspects under the microscope !

The Monkey Cage run may have seemed like murder to a "new starter" ("fag" has a different meaning today :D), but I can't remember any murders taking place in there.

My bet for any mass murderer would have been either, Freddie with his noxious gases, or Biltcliffe with his board cleaner.

In a line from Bannerdale Road, out of Sheffield, the schools were Abbeydale Girls Grammar School, with navy blue and pink colours, Grange Girls Grammar School was next, with brown colours, and then Abbeydale Boys Grammar School. Abbeydale and Grange ammalgamated in or around 1970 and became Abbeydale Grange. Before that time they were 2 completely sepatate grammar schools.

Owler Lane was a scolarship pass, but was termed an Intermediate school the same as Marlcliffe. The uniform was grey and maroon and the motto "Per Ardua Ad Alta". I attended there until Xmas 1959. HM was Pop Gregory, others, Fairest, Boardman, MacDonald, Pegg, Holmes, Gladsby, Lupton and others I cannot remember.

The uniform colours were Navy Blue and gold when I started there in 1948. Grey 7 Maroon came Two years later. Other teachers:- Moss, Mrs Vernon, Hook, Smith, MaCauley, Helliwell, Miss Macintosh, Miss Robinson.:huh:

Owler Lane was a scolarship pass, but was termed an Intermediate school the same as Marlcliffe. The uniform was grey and maroon and the motto "Per Ardua Ad Alta". I attended there until Xmas 1959. HM was Pop Gregory, others, Fairest, Boardman, MacDonald, Pegg, Holmes, Gladsby, Lupton and others I cannot remember.

The uniform colours were Navy Blue and gold when I started there in 1948. Grey & Maroon came Two years later. Other teachers:- Moss, Mrs Vernon, Hook, Smith, MaCauley, Helliwell, Miss Macintosh, Miss Robinson.:huh:

It was actually ".. quicquid Edwardensium". In case any Old Edwardians feel inspired to burst into song, here are the words:

Tempus est ut concinamus quicquid Edwardensium

nunc adestis, hoc sit omnis thema nostri carminis;

qualis est qui cuique nostrum semper aemulandus est?

ille verus Edwardensis, quisquis humani nihil

a sese alienum putabit, usque consors ceteris

sive gaudebunt secundis seu laborabunt malis.

strenuus labore mentis, corporis non negligens,

omnium sententiarum perspicax inquisitor;

semper artium bonarum pervicax videbitur.

D.B. Harrison was indeed P.E./swimming master. Sadly, he died young of a heart attack in 1967.

See http://nlc.oldedwardians.org.uk/

Sad as I am I've just read it through, first time in over forty years. I seem to remember singing it to clementine.

I read a post on here about Red Fred I think he taught me maths not Physics that was B K. Another without a mention was Black Jack I can't remember him having a real name. Also the little gay guy who taught greek, Surgey, Green, Cook, Bray, that's it the dementia's kicked in again. Lucy Lockett.

Little fat scottish English teacher (got to be an Oximoron if thats how you spell it) with a limp and a stick. Max Earl. I've had enough I'm going to bed.

I was at NEGS from 56-58... I only wish we'd known then that the sadistic 'Loobys' real name was Sensicle Harrison Boule, boy! could we have had some fun!

How did you not all know? I was there from 50 to 56, during which time Senc. arrived and everyone was aware of his strange forename. I think he was South African and I also think his speciallity was maths, although he never taught me.

That's strange, because to the best of my recollection, we had no idea of his unusual christian name. Had we realised, I suspect that his nickname would have been 'Non', rather than 'Looby'! ;)

I do seem to recall that he was known to have a market stall, something that we found remarkable for a 'master' to operate at that time...

Yes he took maths and hardly a lesson went by without one of us being slippered for either a real or imaginary offence, it didn't seem to matter which... As I say, he was a sadistic son of a.... And not the only master there who could be fairly described as such either!

A clue... "If you can, do... If you can't, teach... If you can't teach, become a P.E. instructor!"

I guess that being of doubtful parentage was a prerequisite to enable teachers to control a class at that time, the only 'nice guys' that I remember were 'Freddie' Potts & 'Claude' Raines... Both of whose classes invariably ran riot! I suppose, looking back, that we were mainly evil little so-and-so's given half a chance! :)