Late 50s Grammar Schools

Hi There definitely was a grammar school called Hurlfield along Abbeydale Road in the 50's. Richard Caborn went to Hurlfield Boys Secondary Modern - that was on East Bank Road, and is now called Myrtle Springs (or was until last year). Iwas in the same class as Richard and we left in 1958.

Thanks Royston - Re- Caborn, that's as I perceived it to be, so Wikipedia needs altering! I know it's that sort of site but I wish things were more accurate.

I can't get my head round 'Hurlfield' being on Abbeydale Road but certainly believe you. I did exist in the 50's but my first knowledge of the 'three' schools on Abbeydale Road was when the middle one was called Grange, presumably from circa '58 onwards in my experience.

Hurlfield at Millhouses? Well there's "Hillsborough Electrical" at Crookes and "Ecclesall Bakery" at a site miles away from Sheffield 11, so why not?

on the site greybeard links to, it says:-

"In 1918 Holt House was bought from the Firth family by Sheffield Education Committee to house Abbeydale Girls Secondary School later to become Abbeydale Grammar School. The School was housed here until the new school was built in 1939. The Grange then became part of Hurfield Girls Grammar School sharing a building with the Arbourthorne Central Junior School (my italics)

Arbourthorne school (which has been on Eastern Avenue since the 1930s, icluding the rebuild in the mid 2000's) could not possibly have transposed itself four miles across the city to the hastings road area.

the two old houses, Holt house and the Grange, which were Sixth-form centre when I was at AGS, were the beautiful old buildings which housed holt house and Grange grammar schools prior to the 1930s building going up (the girls' school, latterly AGS upper School)

Hi PT. I suspect we need somebody with access to SEA archives to sort this one out :D

To be honest I was just aware that in the period 1950-56 there were two schools on the site. The Abbeydale Grammar School for girls, - in what appeared to be a very modern bulding compared with what we had to endure at Nether Edge, and the other, which I recollect seemed to be known as both the Grange Grammar and also as Hurlfield.

Strangely when my mother and her sisters went there they were living in Totley which at the time was in Derbyshire.

Hi Greybeard,

If you were at NEGS between 50 and 56, we were contemporaries. Those were my dates too.

Regards, Puffin4

There was also Marlcliff. I think that it might have been a girls school. My sister went there.

No my brother went there

Abbeydale Boys grammar was a brand spanking new building with its first intake, including little me, in Sept. 1958. It took over from Nether Edge Grammar.

Black blazer with a badge of crossed olympic style torches; black, red, and white diagonal striped tie.

The Grange was next to us separated by woodland and then next to the Grange was Abbeydale Girls grammar. Grange girls wore an all brown uniform and Abbeydale Girl were in dark blue.

We were forbidden to go in to the woods BUT it happened as we got older!

1st headmaster was George Wilkinson, a grand old chap, who wore the cape and mortar. He retired after about two years and the new Head was a guy named Massey- totally opposite of George and a mutual hatred developed between me and him.

Some good old teachers I remember:-

Hodge; Vinny Cooper; Pomfret; Ramsbottom; Fielding; Cookson; Charlie Simpson; Johnny Mann; Jepson; Claude; Otto.

Happy days I think....

they were happy days I remember Bill Massey especially his smoked filled office, do you remember `Buzz Schorer?`(deputy head) Drake

Mr Ramsbottom is a familiar name to me... A chap of that name taught my class R.E. in the 1970's.

Same one I wonder...? Surely there can't be two teachers with such an outstanding name as that, at the same school so close together...?

PT

True he was my form master(1R) back in 64

I think Hurlfield was moved to Arbourthorne Central because of the war. As I was going to school (Arbourthorne Central on Eastern Ave ) as a child during the war, Hurfield shared the building. My friends sister who was older went to school in her brown uniform.

hazel

"Quisquis Edwardensium"

Forgot to mention Norman Barnes, music teacher and E L Vernon, chemistry.

I recall I got lots of house points for swimming and PE, but only because I was in Chatsworth House and PE / Swimming teacher Harrison was the House master.

Was it Harrison? not sure now, need some more brain powders.

It was actually ".. quicquid Edwardensium". In case any Old Edwardians feel inspired to burst into song, here are the words:

Tempus est ut concinamus quicquid Edwardensium

nunc adestis, hoc sit omnis thema nostri carminis;

qualis est qui cuique nostrum semper aemulandus est?

ille verus Edwardensis, quisquis humani nihil

a sese alienum putabit, usque consors ceteris

sive gaudebunt secundis seu laborabunt malis.

strenuus labore mentis, corporis non negligens,

omnium sententiarum perspicax inquisitor;

semper artium bonarum pervicax videbitur.

D.B. Harrison was indeed P.E./swimming master. Sadly, he died young of a heart attack in 1967.

See http://nlc.oldedwardians.org.uk/

I started at Abbeydale Girls Grammar School in 1944 and am sure that Hurlsfield Grammar was moved into buildings adjacent to Abbeydale Rd about that time. I know that the girls definately wore a brown uniform as I had a friend who was a pupil there at that time

I was speaking to a former teaching colleague in the supermarket yesterday, she being in her 80's, and she mentioned Hurlfield. You recall the brown uniform so I suggest that was the school that became known as Grange Grammar School.

I think this has been thrashed out earlier in the thread when I expressed surprise at the name Hurlfield in a Millhouses location but it was the case.

Abbeydale Boys grammar was a brand spanking new building with its first intake, including little me, in Sept. 1958. It took over from Nether Edge Grammar.

Black blazer with a badge of crossed olympic style torches; black, red, and white diagonal striped tie.

The Grange was next to us separated by woodland and then next to the Grange was Abbeydale Girls grammar. Grange girls wore an all brown uniform and Abbeydale Girl were in dark blue.

We were forbidden to go in to the woods BUT it happened as we got older!

1st headmaster was George Wilkinson, a grand old chap, who wore the cape and mortar. He retired after about two years and the new Head was a guy named Massey- totally opposite of George and a mutual hatred developed between me and him.

Some good old teachers I remember:-

Hodge; Vinny Cooper; Pomfret; Ramsbottom; Fielding; Cookson; Charlie Simpson; Johnny Mann; Jepson; Claude; Otto.

Happy days I think....

More names - R.J.S."Noddy" Wiseman, Len Buchan, Roger Hinckley, Freddie Potts, Parsons, Biltcliffe, Albert Hill, Ken Cook. What about the head's secretary, Faith?

Mr Kenneth "Rabbi" Ramsbottom is to be found in the South stand at Bramall Lane at home games. Not so good at getting around these days, but still got an active brain and a good memory!