*Alert* Suspicious blue transit sized van in S6

They do take stuff from skips, which although I wasn't bothered about the radiator and other stuff they took from mine without permission, that does make them thieves. I've seen them stealing from skips on a number of occasions and they are down our road almost daily at all hours of day & night.

Stealing from a skip never heard something so pathetic if it's in a skip it's obviously ready to be disposed of what difference does it makes if they can take it and make a bit of money for themselves and there family??

Stealing from a skip never heard something so pathetic if it's in a skip it's obviously ready to be disposed of what difference does it makes if they can take it and make a bit of money for themselves and there family??
The skip people make money from recycling, so if someone removes metal or other recycling materials from a skip, they're stealing from the skip owner.

I was told that once something's in a skip, it's no longer your property to give away to a third party, it belongs to the skip yard. Make of that what you will.

A blue transit has been round near ours in Woodseats today, I could hear them smashing something up and putting bits in their vehicle but from what I could see either a tradesman or the householder was present as well. So I didn't go out to see what they were up to. I've got the number if anyone wants to compare it to the one they have.

What do honest scrapmen behave like then??

They work during the day from a compound, not skulking around in the dark acting all shady and taking things without asking.

To those posters who think taking from a skip isn't theft.

You're wrong.

Once an item is placed in a skip it belongs to whomever owns that skip. Anyone who takes from that skip is stealing from the skip owner.

As already said, Skip companies sort out skip contents and anything that can be sold to recycling companies is taken out to be sold.

HONEST scrapmen know this and won't take from skips.

theft from a skip is ultimately not about theft, it's about lawful disposal of waste. Lets say you put a settee or bed in the skip. Someone takes it, strips off the upholstery, which they dump and keep the metal framework. You are liable for the unlawful tipping of the upholstery because it is your waste. So skip operators are licenced and regulated because they have a legit system for waste disposal. Because it is impractical for you to keep 100% watch over your skip the principle of theft has been implemented to disuade people taking from skips and unlawfully disposing of waste.

Thats what the cops, who arrested a skip thief, told someone I know who didn't want to press charges becasue to him it was just his waste.

As you are a tradesman im surprised you put this. What about the skip people who are legally trying to make "money for themselves and their family"?

how would you feel if you were booked to do some work and someone came along and did it beforehand so you couldnt get paid?

Skip merchants rent skips out on the same principle as you do your work, you provide a service and expect to get paid, they provide a service and part of their pay is the return they get on the goods skipped be it in scrap value or whatever. If goods are taken then they have to charge higher for the skip to get the same return.

What a load of nonsense. The act of putting an item in a skip does not transfer ownership. Such event takes place when the skip is collected.

If I'm putting something in a skip, and thus making it obvious that I'm disposing of it, then others are welcome to scavange and free up more space for me to use.

What a load of nonsense. The act of putting an item in a skip does not transfer ownership. Such event takes place when the skip is collected.

If I'm putting something in a skip, and thus making it obvious that I'm disposing of it, then others are welcome to scavange and free up more space for me to use.

Ok, put it this way. I have a TV that you're having from me. You leave your car at mine and I put the TV in it ready for you to take.

If someone else was to come along before you come back and take your car and they take the TV, by your reckoning they haven't stolen the TV, they've merely scavenged it.

No, that's a completely rubbish analogy. The contract in place between the parties is different. There is no suggestion that someone wishes to take the skip itself....

Edited by garrence

so if i hire a skip - put something in it - then the following morning i decide i don't actually want to skip it but want to give it to a third party and i take it out of the skip again and give it to the third party - i am stealing from the skip owner?

No, that's a completely rubbish analogy. The contract in place between the parties is different. There is no suggestion that someone wishes to take the skip itself....

It's not a rubbish analogy, you're just not smart enough to understand.

I think, whether it is right or wrong, perhaps it is best to leave all scrap outside/ alongside the skip, then all the careful positioning of stuff, to use the skip space to maximum is not disrupted. I bet the skip firms have seen a massive drop in scrap metal recovery, any skip firm workers reading this...comment?!