Migrating from Origin-Broadband to BT

Greetings

I was wondering if fellow SF readers could help

Over the last month, I have been suffering very poor speeds via my current ISP Origin-Broadband. They have been worse than dial-up those who can remember that :)

Their Support line has been incredibly poor in dealing with my issue, so much so that I am looking at migrating away from their services. The issues I believe are with the supplied equipment which they have refused to swap out.

The only ISP that can provide the same connection speeds as DR is BT. With that in mind has anyone migrated from DR to BT and if so how was the transition?

thanks

Greetings

Over the last month, I have been suffering very poor speeds via my current ISP Origin-Broadband. They have been worse than dial-up those who can remember that :)

Their Support line has been incredibly poor in dealing with my issue, so much so that I am looking at migrating away from their services. The issues I believe are with the supplied equipment which they have refused to swap out.

The only ISP that can provide the same connection speeds as DR is BT. With that in mind has anyone migrated from DR to BT and if so how was the transition?

thanks

How very strange........don't know anyone with this problem on Origin.

If BT can do it, then their resellers can do it cheaper, try Sky? Assuming you can't get Virgin Media cable or anything better.

If BT can do it, then their resellers can do it cheaper, try Sky? Assuming you can't get Virgin Media cable or anything better.

Thanks for this, I will try Sky.

Virgin Media don't come this far out, guess I am the wrong side of the city for them :)

Hi ftm1,

Have a pop over to the drlforum where you can post questions like this to users who are on the network and others who have migrated back to BT or other providers.

The trouble is, if there is a fault on your line (from cabinet to house) you will have same problems. What have Origin actually said is the problem and how long have you on contract.

Greetings

thanks

Please don't shoot the messenger BUT I noticed on another thread that you have updated your OS to OS X Mavericks a few weeks ago was this before the problem or after MAYBE that is causing the problem or maybe not just a thought

Thanks for your replies

Hi ftm1,

Have a pop over to the drlforum where you can post questions like this to users who are on the network and others who have migrated back to BT or other providers.

I have been there, but it didn’t look like it was taking new registrations, I will try again

The trouble is, if there is a fault on your line (from cabinet to house) you will have same problems. What have Origin actually said is the problem and how long have you on contract.

The line was put in when I took out the contract about about 16 months ago, whilst it could be the issue I am still doubtful. The agent mentioned that the fault was with all 6 of the devices in my house! Which I have proved on other networks as working fine, as well as bringing my work laptop home to try. The agent also seemed like it was too much trouble to take down any details.

In theory I can swap at any time

Please don't shoot the messenger BUT I noticed on another thread that you have updated your OS to OS X Mavericks a few weeks ago was this before the problem or after MAYBE that is causing the problem or maybe not just a thought

Yes I did wonder that myself, but thankfully my work laptop ( Windows 7 ) exhibited the same slowness. :)

Thanks for your replies

I have been there, but it didn’t look like it was taking new registrations, I will try again

The line was put in when I took out the contract about about 16 months ago, whilst it could be the issue I am still doubtful. The agent mentioned that the fault was with all 6 of the devices in my house! Which I have proved on other networks as working fine, as well as bringing my work laptop home to try. The agent also seemed like it was too much trouble to take down any details.

In theory I can swap at any time

Yes I did wonder that myself, but thankfully my work laptop ( Windows 7 ) exhibited the same slowness. :)

We are still taking registrations on the forum, but there are some checks in place to combat spammers. If problems registering let us know using the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the site.

does seem odd regarding all equipment being slow, which router do you use? is it theirs or your own? Is the problem only on wifi or are you getting issues with wired connections as well?

Remember if you do leave the network, there is no mac code to provide to your new provider. Depending on who you speak to when switching it can be easy switch-over or bit complicated.

We are still taking registrations on the forum, but there are some checks in place to combat spammers. If problems registering let us know using the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the site.

ok cool will do

does seem odd regarding all equipment being slow, which router do you use? is it theirs or your own? Is the problem only on wifi or are you getting issues with wired connections as well? .

I do have their Router plugged into the Cellpipe, unfortunately the other router I have doesn't support PPoE. As this affects both wired and wireless, I believe their supplied router is at fault. Just need them to ship a new one!

I have moved from DR to BT, in a nutshell BT will tell you they can not use the existing line as it is connected to BT. They will then offer to install a new line at a cost of £125. Stand your ground and tell them you would like Infinty (2) but are not prepared to pay. I did this, they said they would install the line free but continued to use my DR line when they arrived which just disconnected my DR service.

It means having a new telephone number but hey ho !

I have to say my Infinity 2 connection is far superior than my DR connection ever was.

Edited by nutty34

if going for infinity it is free line install as per their own website.

ok cool will do

I do have their Router plugged into the Cellpipe, unfortunately the other router I have doesn't support PPoE. As this affects both wired and wireless, I believe their supplied router is at fault. Just need them to ship a new one!

Hi,

This seems like an odd one. Could you please call us and advise the tech team to notify me when you call, and I'll double check every step to make sure we've exhausted all options to fix the issue.

Pete