100 days of snow ..on the way!

Don't forget to stock up on rifle ammunition. After the first 20 or so days, hungry people may start trying to climb over your snow drifts and gain entry to your food stocks. It's dog eat dog out there.

If you are worried about the snow, then perhaps this advice may help you

1) Plan your journey, know where you are going

2) Make sure your car has enough petrol to complete the journey

3) Have a warm flask of soup

4) Have a warm coat and wellies

5) Have a whistle, blowing a whistle will help emergency services locate you

6) Ring relatives, tell them where you are going and what time you expect to arrive

7) Have survival rations in the car, tinned fish etc....

That trip to Tescos, although usually a run of the mill drive can turn into a deadly nightmare if you find yourself cut off in the snow.

Add:

Keep non-clumping cat litter in the boot. It will give you weight in the back of the car, and if your wheels are having issue getting traction the litter will serve as grit.

Always keep a loaf of bread in the freezer, as if you run out and the corner shop doesnt get their delivery, youll be fine. The night of the storm, leave on the draining board to defrost. In the morning, youll have bread waiting for you. Also keep some long life milk in your pantry/cupboard for the same reason.

Also clear your entire car of snow and not just your headlights and front windscreen. The snow on the roof of the car can fly off and be a danger to those driving behind you.

---------- Post added 17-11-2013 at 22:50 ----------

PS clear and grit your path!!!! If done properly it wont ice over and people wont have to risk their lives by walking in the road

Add:

Keep non-clumping cat litter in the boot. It will give you weight in the back of the car, and if your wheels are having issue getting traction the litter will serve as grit.

Always keep a loaf of bread in the freezer, as if you run out and the corner shop doesnt get their delivery, youll be fine. The night of the storm, leave on the draining board to defrost. In the morning, youll have bread waiting for you. Also keep some long life milk in your pantry/cupboard for the same reason.

Also clear your entire car of snow and not just your headlights and front windscreen. The snow on the roof of the car can fly off and be a danger to those driving behind you.

---------- Post added 17-11-2013 at 22:50 ----------

PS clear and grit your path!!!! If done properly it wont ice over and people wont have to risk their lives by walking in the road

Add.

Attend Moderator course on how to spot a troll:)

Add.

:hihi::hihi:

Add.

Hes normally a troll but hes spot on with his advice...

Hes normally a troll but hes spot on with his advice...

I'll stick a tin of tuna in my boot tomorrow morning then.

I'll stick a tin of tuna in my boot tomorrow morning then.

I never kept tinned food in the boot of my car, but things I did were as follows:

• a collapsible shovel
  • 2 liter bottle of water
  • antifreeze
  • jumper cables
  • grit (cat litter or salt)
  • sleeping bag
  • change of clothes

I lived in area where it was common to get 2 feet of snow overnight and if you got caught out, you needed to be prepared.

I never kept tinned food in the boot of my car, but things I did were as follows:

• a collapsible shovel
  • 2 liter bottle of water
  • antifreeze
  • jumper cables
  • grit (cat litter or salt)
  • sleeping bag
  • change of clothes

I lived in area where it was common to get 2 feet of snow overnight and if you got caught out, you needed to be prepared.

I work in an area where it is common to get 6-8 inches of snow at a time.

I keep boots in my car, for my feet, and a coat, and gloves. That should suffice for most people in Sheffield. I doubt that many experience more severe weather than I do.

I work in an area where it is common to get 6-8 inches of snow at a time.

I keep boots in my car, for my feet, and a coat, and gloves. That should suffice for most people in Sheffield. I doubt that many experience more severe weather than I do.

Are you one of Santa's little helpers? :o:)

I work in an area where it is common to get 6-8 inches

Hope you're paid well ! :hihi:

"Britain now facing worst winter in SIXTY YEARS warn forecasters"...

(According to the Express web site link: http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/443462/Winter-2013-expected-to-be-worst-since-1947-with-heavy-and-persistent-snow-forecast-for-UK )

I was just reading through my various social media pages, to find a particularly curious impending issue that happens most years: Snow.

As how & where Sheffield is built, when there is bad weather, we normally get our fair share, but apparently this year is going to be exceptionally bad.

The point of this Thread, is I'm wondering if anyone knows of any snow clearing services throughout the winter? - as to be honest, most of it sucks throughout our region and the country.

I do remember hearing of a volunteer program of snow... removal? clearing, you get the drift... (excuse the punt) :hihi:

I'm mainly inquiring as to if this program still exists, and/or could the Sheffield Forum be a hub for us to start our own?

Suggestions and advice welcome... Discuss :)