Chantry - muxlow

I'm looking for any information on Joseph Chantry & Sophia Muxlow who lived at 33 Corby Street until thier deaths in 1953 and 1948.

Joseph was a horse keeper for a haulage contractor with one son George Chantry born 1898. I have no information at all about this haulage contrators other than from 1922 till his death.

Sophia Muxlow was his "house keeper" both are buried in the same grave in Sheffield so I guess the term "House keeper" was polite !! Sophia was married to John Gantley Muxlow at one point. Her daughter Lilian Muxlow was the infromant on Joseph Chantrys death certificate.

I'm gratefull for even the smallest thread of information as we have only just discovered family, untill now my 92 year old father had no idea of his history !!!

Hi alexchantrey - I imagine you have access to census records but if you'd like a scan of the 1911 entry, with Joseph, Sophia and George listed, let me know and I'll send you my email address via Private Message. In 1911 they lived at 13 ct 6 Sussex Street.

Sophia Sanderson married John Muxlow in 1884. The 1901 census shows them at 33 Brownell Street with their five children including Lillian, then aged 13.

Yes I'm fortunate enough to have all the relevant census records for Joseph and his parents and a connection to the Muxlow family as well. Joseph & Sophia are buried in the same grave in Sheffield. What I'm trying to find out is where Jospeh worked and I think thats like looking for a needle in a haystack. All I know from a marriage certificate of his son George and his own death certificate is , Horse keeper Haulage contractors. He lived in Corby Street by 1911 and was there until his death in 1953. His grandson is still alive 92 so I know this to be correct.

Many thanks for your reply.

Alex

It's probably mine I have been working very hard:)

But you didn't post any details !

I didn't intend posting details because I assumed that you'd look for yourself if you have access to Ancestry. I'm always reluctant to post detail from anyone's family tree on a public forum.

• 3 years later...

Alex,

I realise that your last posting was some years back but I've only just found it. Some years back I was a member of the Sheffield FHS forum & was in correspondence with lady in Australia who I believe was a relation to the Muxlow's. We exchanged a few public posts but then she sent me a private message that I was not aware of until sometime later. I intended to reply but then it seemed that the forum had closed as I could not gain access to it. I felt bad about it as I did not want the lady to think I was being rude in not responding.

My connection with Lillian Muxlow is through my maternal grandparents, Fred & Phoebe Allen of Reading, Berkshire. Over the years, since WW1, Lillian lived with the Allen’s & we, the grandchildren, always referred to her as Aunty Lil but to my knowledge she was not related. She passed away in the 1980's & my wife & I arranged her burial in Reading.

I remember Aunty taking me to see her sister, Edith Dewsbury, in Hull in the late 1950's. Edith had two grandchildren, Sandra & Norma, who would both be my age or older (68)

If you are still interested I can tell you more about Lillian.

I'm stunned thank you for replying , sadly we lost my father in law last year who was the one I started this search for , you have already answered a question we couldn't fathom "" the Hull connection"" . I don't know how to message you privately or send you my e mail address but I would be delighted to hear more about Lillian .

Kindest Regards Alex :)

Great to hear from you Alex. Lilian was I believe born in 1888 but I'm not sure how she came to be living with my grandparents in Reading. I always assumed that she was a relative as we called called her 'Aunty' but on reflection do not think she was. My Mum was born in 1915 & had two younger & two older siblings all living in Reading with their parents and at some time in their childhood, Aunty Lil. I do not know if Aunty was employed as a child minder/home help but neither of my grandparents were that well off. Anyway between WW1 & WW2 I imagine Aunty went back to Sheffield to stay for a while. Since I was born in 1949 Aunty was always around & continued living in my grandparents house after they died in 1971/2 until she passed away in the mid 80's. If I can find out how to send private messages I'll let you have my e-mail & I can send you some scanned photo's of Aunty. She was a lovely lady who was just like a second grandmother. As an aside Aunty had a friend, a Mrs Robinson, who we visited in Darnall & later in Woodhouse. I do not know if Aunty had any other siblings, she only referred to Edith.