Do charities deserve our help?

I went to a local cat charity today in the hope of adopting 2 cats but because i was a bit early the lady wouldnt let me in as "they were doing things" (she said, with cup of coffee in hand) i know these people work hard to care for animals and they cant be open to the public all the time but at the week end I think she could have made an exception for the twenty minutes or so we were early (I had misread the opening times on the website) as we had made a special journey to go there Never the less this charity will not receive any help from us in the future and a couple of their cats will have that bit longer to find a loving home as we will be looking elsewhere, Really dissapointed!

At risk of sounding narky, if you turned up on the doorstep of the co-op stores twenty minutes early, would you have expected to be let-in and served there and then?

People who work in places looking after animals have times in place, or appointments in place for good reason. The main reason being, making sure all animals are clean, fed and tidy before said times. It is awfully embarrassing showing people around messed up pens before being cleaned where animals are kept all day and all night. Some animals are cleaner than others. It will put people off adopting seeing they mess they can make!

Edited by Loobi
Didnt finish writing

They have opening / closing times for a reason !

If you really wanted to help by re-homing a cat you'd have respected that and waited. The cats have been waiting longer than you would have been. :shakes:

It's your fault for not reading the opening times properly. It was only twenty minutes, wouldn't have hurt you to wait. Why take it out on the poor cats?!

To be honest I think that's really arrogant and selfish. Most animal shelters start very early in the morning, they have to feed, clean and care for the animals before they can deal with adoptions and general enquiries. It's a lot more work that you would think. Do you really think the care of the animals should be put on hold because you were 20 minutes early?

Well I should have known better than to put this on as i knew what reaction i would get and i was right! I too am a busy person and understand what the people do who care for these animals AS i said in my post my moan was that if they want the best for these creatures and moan all the time in the media etc ( I assume you know who you are) about the amount of animals they have to care for and how much it costs and how overworked they are and what saints they are for doing it bla bla... someone turning up a few minutes early to try and take a couple of their hands should be welcomed and not turned away. I am not taking it out on the cats the cat shelter people have done that ! Anyway how hard is it to feed some cats and empty litter trays for gods sake! There you go trolls stick that in your pipe and we will see what you make of this :rant:

Well I should have known better than to put this on as i knew what reaction i would get and i was right! I too am a busy person and understand what the people do who care for these animals AS i said in my post my moan was that if they want the best for these creatures and moan all the time in the media etc ( I assume you know who you are) about the amount of animals they have to care for and how much it costs and how overworked they are and what saints they are for doing it bla bla... someone turning up a few minutes early to try and take a couple of their hands should be welcomed and not turned away. I am not taking it out on the cats the cat shelter people have done that ! Anyway how hard is it to feed some cats and empty litter trays for gods sake! There you go trolls stick that in your pipe and we will see what you make of this :rant:

There's nothing quite like being shot down in flames, is there?

Ms tetchy pants you need a timeout. It was your mistake and yours alone. You posted this thread asking for others opinions and go off like a child because folk are not saying shame on the charity for not realising which demigod they had on their doorstep. Even folk not directly involved in rescue know its about much more than emptying litter trays. Opening times are just that. And twenty minutes is not a lifetime longer to wait when you dropped the clanger in the first place. Hate to break it to you but sometimes life sucks and no matter how hard you clench your fist and stamp your foot that's never going to change.

The problem is, if shelters made exceptions for everyone who comes out of opening hours they would struggle to get anything done. The last place I volunteered at, people would show up at random times and the person in charge would keep making exceptions and it made their day that much longer because they had to put off jobs, and volunteers had to stop doing certain things because potential adopters (or people leaving animals) were there.

Also, it is good for the animals to have routines, especially if they have come from a background of neglect.

And remember, shelters are run by volunteers, many of whom have other commitments and jobs outside of the charity, so they will also be working to a schedule.

Anyway how hard is it to feed some cats and empty litter trays for gods sake! There you go trolls stick that in your pipe and we will see what you make of this :rant:

Well, we could conflate your provocative opening post, with your subsequent unrepentant post.

When we add in the location details that you supply, we may well conclude that the cats had a lucky escape.

Wouldnt life in rescue be fantastically easy if all there was to do was feed cats and empty litter trays?

So, every morning approximately 60-70 cats are fed, watered and medicated. So that's 4 with renal failure, 8 with cat flu, over 20 kittens to catch and weigh. Then the litter trays, one per cat, washed, disinfected, dried, refilled and restocked. Then its the cleaning, every room, every pen, every inch cleaned daily, no exceptions. Then to the vets for the daily visit. Then washing each used cat carrier, 60 fleeces, water bowls, toys etc. Next comes more feeding for the younger residents.

Perhaps its possible to take 30 minutes for lunch :)

Then its the final checks on each room as well as another feed time for kittens.

Opening time!

Then as we close its time again to feed 60 cats, medicate poorly ones, collect any from the vets, make sure everyone is safe and sound, and ready for the next day.

I'm sorry you felt you didnt have a good experience, but as others have said, opening times are stipulated for a reason. And the welfare of the cats in our care is paramount, not their adoption status.