Polystyrene Ceiling Tiles Removal

Hi

We have polystyrene tiles in the master bedroom of the house we are buying (completing soon yay) and were just looking for a bit of advice on how to remove them.

I have looked online and they seem fairly simple to remove. Would it be best to use a wall paper steamer? What abouth the finish?

All advice welcome!

Thanks

K

I've never removed them but would imagine that there will be glue and polystyrene residue left on the ceiling. May be that you'll need the ceiling skimming after their removal.

Just a guess on my part!

scrape them off with scraper then overboard and skim m hayes joiner /builder 25 years experiance

They will come off using a wall paper scraper, but as they are stuck on with glue in blobs it can leave marks on the plaster. You might get away with putting a thick layer of textured paint to cover over

I have just completed 2 ceilings that were tiled, take off with a floor scraper, I doubt you will get the adhesive Off that sticks them up.

Call for a quote if you require a plasterer or want to discuss further.

Many thank, Chris

Thanks Mac_Plas we will need our entire kitchen plastering every wall from top to toe so I will definitely keep you in mind when the time comes to collect quotes :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, well see how we get on!

K

the entire downstairs of our place had them - not only did the glue do exactly as described above to the plaster, but also the wieght of them plus numerous coats of paint loosened the 100yr old plaster too.... All good now though! (Mac_Plas can testify to the state of the ceiling in the hallway!)

Our entire house had them, peoples comments above are correct.

Ours were so old you barely had to put any effort into getting them off, but left a residue behind that would react and prevent a plaster skim.

Overboarded the entire lot and then plaster, have great ceilings now :)

Polystyrene ceiling tiles were one of the worst things about the 1970s. Have they caught the person who invented them yet, or is he still on the loose?