Sheffield libraries have your say

Knowing this council they'll close the libraries and then burn the books whilst they are at it.

But hey I'm sure it won't be their fault, as usual they'll blame somebody else.

If people need and want them start charging for lending the books and dvd's and use of the computers etc. and make it pay for itself, nothing comes for free anymore

There are already charges for a lot of things, but to charge for book lending would require a change in the law because the 1964 Public Libraries and Museums Act (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1964/75) says that local authorities cannot charge for basic lending.

Waste of taxpayers money, I can't remember the last time I used one.

The only people who use them are the unemployed and the homeless and they don't pay to keep them open.

Close them all.

yes the same unemployed who now have to access benefits via computer and have their job searches checked online by their advisors.

I accept that its too expensive to keep all the libraries open...

Why do you accept that?

I think as long as the central library stays open then they are providing a service, there is transport a plenty to the town centre that everyone can use.

I use our local library a lot, mainly for borrowing books which saves me money. If I had to buy the books they would cost me hundreds of pounds a year. Because the library buys them the cost is shared out amongst everyone who pays council tax in Sheffield and each book gets read many times by all the people who borrow it.

It's a brilliant system.

Libraries have had their day and are no longer fulfilling the role that they were intended for. Lets save some money and scrap them

Libraries have had their day and are no longer fulfilling the role that they were intended for. Lets save some money and scrap them

What role are they not fufilling?

They supply a means of education and enjoyment for people irrespective of age, class, wealth, or qualifications.

I have to agree with this, most people now have access to the internet if they need information for study etc. I some libraries are being kept open then the books will still be available its not like its something you visit on a daily basis

The majority of Sheffielders cannot read so why do we need any libraries at all?

Those that can use the internet for research rather than a book, I'm talking about students.

The was a time when Librarys were filled with the educated and the good looking, take a look at any library in Sheffield now, this is certainly no longer the case.

The was a time when Librarys were filled with the educated and the good looking, take a look at any library in Sheffield now, this is certainly no longer the case.

Maybe you should visit a library in a nice area instead?

Maybe you should visit a library in a nice area instead?

I attend Librarys and I've only got an O Level in Woodwork.

I did go to Oxford in 1998, but that was for a mates drinking Stag Do.

Years ago, the likes of me never went into a library.