BIG problems with O2 3G in Sheffield.

City Taxis installed new taxi data heads in their cars, these are new systems that are modern and no longer need an antenna because they are installed with a sim card via the O2 network.

But since they have been upgrading the mast at Western Bank to 4g there's been major problems with it dropping out.

Worst areas are;

Western Bank

Meadowhall

Charnock,Mhead

O2 apparently told City they can't find the problem that is causing it to fail.

Its to force people to upgrade to 4G contracts.

Its an absolute scam.

thanks for the info guys.

shall be calling o2 networks tomorrow

cheers

I had a day last week where I didn't receive any text messages then all the missing texts flooded in.

What I suspect O2 have done is rather than fork out for new infrastructure to carry the 4G transmission, they've taken some of the 3G transmitters and re-purposed them. This has caused the 3G network to weaken significantly and it cannot cope with demand which is getting pushed onto the 2G band which is why all the problems are occurring.

Hopefully O2 will now start to lose customers (they've lost me at the end of my contract in Dec)

yeah i suspect that is the case.

think other networks have done similar

What I suspect O2 have done is rather than fork out for new infrastructure to carry the 4G transmission, they've taken some of the 3G transmitters and re-purposed them. This has caused the 3G network to weaken significantly and it cannot cope with demand which is getting pushed onto the 2G band which is why all the problems are occurring.

Hopefully O2 will now start to lose customers (they've lost me at the end of my contract in Dec)

When I had a discussion about the problems with someone at City I was told that because it only happens at certain times of the day (it seems to get bad after 1pm) and that most of the time it's okay then they cannot cancel the contract they have with O2, however, O2 do acknowledge there is a problem but they are scratching their heads atm.

I had a day last week where I didn't receive any text messages then all the missing texts flooded in.

Did you get wet?

I work in Woodhouse and the signal from O2 is appalling, cutting out in the middle of calls, total loss of signal (particularly on certain stretches of the Parkway) etc. They have blamed the problem on maintenance work to a mast but its gone on for weeks now.

Did you get wet?

Yeah, all over my face.

amazing.. full signal today! that's a first :-D

bad signal around rotherham ..... better with 2 cups a string ! :hihi:

My signal has been shocking today and have been cut off from 2 calls.

I checked online with O2 and this message is what i i got for the S2 Area

Our network is currently working fine!

We'll be carrying out some maintenance on our phone masts in this area on the 13 November & 18 November

Updated 16:04 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.