Pay Car park opposite Fat Cat closes today

I see this in the following:

• Land owner applies in 2006 for development planning, gets it.
  • Land owner then applies for planning to use land as TEMPORARY car park until development starts
  • Fastforward 7 YEARS, no development has start, L/O reapplies for TEMPORARY use of land (for the car park)
  • Council says 7 YEARS isn't temporary & unless development work starts soon then application will be denied.
  • No development begins, council follows through with denial.
  • Self-entitled m̶u̶p̶p̶e̶t̶s̶ motorists accuse council of corruption

If the L/O has simply just paved over the land when the council said development needed to start then that would have been seen as a start. IMO the L/O never had any intentions of developing the land and was trying to play the system. The system shot him down.

I see this in the following:

• Land owner applies in 2006 for development planning, gets it.
  • Land owner then applies for planning to use land as TEMPORARY car park until development starts
  • Fastforward 7 YEARS, no development has start, L/O reapplies for TEMPORARY use of land (for the car park)
  • Council says 7 YEARS isn't temporary & unless development work starts soon then application will be denied.
  • No development begins, council follows through with denial.
  • Self-entitled m̶u̶p̶p̶e̶t̶s̶ motorists accuse council of corruption

If the L/O has simply just paved over the land when the council said development needed to start then that would have been seen as a start. IMO the L/O never had any intentions of developing the land and was trying to play the system. The system shot him down.

Does PP last for 7 years...I thought it was 5..? Genuine question

Does PP last for 7 years...I thought it was 5..? Genuine question

It is 5 years, the development PP was re-applied for and granted in 2011.

Just because it's the correct decision in planning law, does not mean it's the correct decision in common sense. That carpark was heaving, every single day. Where can all those cars which paid £2 per day, park in a similar location for a full day at £2 a pop ?

Oddly, all those cars you mention have managed to find somewhere to park today and Alma Street is no more busy than it usually is. Guess they must have parked in the £2:50 car park or elsewhere, hey :)

Oddly, all those cars you mention have managed to find somewhere to park today and Alma Street is no more busy than it usually is. Guess they must have parked in the £2:50 car park or elsewhere, hey :)

Where did you find the time to count all the cars which once parked opposite the Fat Cat ? That's right, you didn't. Alma street is no more busy because it can't get anymore busy as it's always full and was before the car park closed.

It's great where I park, especially when the spaces aren't marked out correctly so I don't have to pay. They do try every 6 months or so by slapping a ticket on, I send it back and after a month or so, get a letter of apology. Not everyone knows that you can park for free in four certain spaces, now and again people do have a P&D ticket in their cars in theose spaces (surrounding area in ALL pay & display), yet the ticket wardens don't leave them a nice little note stating it's free and are happy to charge when they shouldn't have to. All it takes is some paint, yet they can't be bothered. :rolleyes:

Where did you find the time to count all the cars which once parked opposite the Fat Cat ? That's right, you didn't. Alma street is no more busy because it can't get anymore busy as it's always full and was before the car park closed.

It's great where I park, especially when the spaces aren't marked out correctly so I don't have to pay. They do try every 6 months or so by slapping a ticket on, I send it back and after a month or so, get a letter of apology. Not everyone knows that you can park for free in four certain spaces, now and again people do have a P&D ticket in their cars in theose spaces (surrounding area in ALL pay & display), yet the ticket wardens don't leave them a nice little note stating it's free and are happy to charge when they shouldn't have to. All it takes is some paint, yet they can't be bothered. :rolleyes:

I park there often... it can't have been that full because I parked right outside the cafe further along.

Why are you whinging about the loss of the £2 car park if, by your admission, you park for free?

Yes they are all at Blonk Street, i've parked there for last few years and this week it has been so much busier than ever before, you can really tell there are alot more people there

Why are you whinging about the loss of the £2 car park if, by your admission, you park for free?

Jezz, I don't know, maybe I used it on weekends when going into town. Work friends use it (no longer). Not everyone is me, me, me in this city, It was a car park used by many.

Yes they are all at Blonk Street, i've parked there for last few years and this week it has been so much busier than ever before, you can really tell there are alot more people there

Thought they may have. The extra 50p hasn't deterred them then?

Jezz, I don't know, maybe I used it on weekends when going into town. Work friends use it (no longer). Not everyone is me, me, me in this city, It was a car park used by many.

Why not use the free parking on the weekends? Why pay to park when, by your admission, you can get free parking.

Just to revive this thread I have been in this area today as my lad wanted to go to the excellent Kelham Island Museum, spent about 20mins driving round to no avail, its annoying driving past the previously used car park only for it to be locked closed and nothing has been done on the land where it was situated.

Did see plenty of traffic wardens circling the area though, had my lad not been so persistant on going to the Museum I would have given up, eventually found a space on some worn out yellow lines so took the risk.

A crazy situation in an area of the city where visits should be encouraged.

Just to revive this thread I have been in this area today as my lad wanted to go to the excellent Kelham Island Museum, spent about 20mins driving round to no avail, its annoying driving past the previously used car park only for it to be locked closed and nothing has been done on the land where it was situated.

Did see plenty of traffic wardens circling the area though, had my lad not been so persistant on going to the Museum I would have given up, eventually found a space on some worn out yellow lines so took the risk.

A crazy situation in an area of the city where visits should be encouraged.

There's a pretty large private sector car park at Spitalfields, not far away alongside the Inner Relief Rd, did you try that? There are also several Council car parks within walking distance, which generally charge 50p/hour or £2 for the day. Check the Council website for locations.

It would be much more attractive to potential customers to businesses at Kelham Island if the obvious large central car park was still in use!!