Nirmal's to close!

can't say i'll miss it, she shouldtake Martin Dawes appalling revues with her

Is that the with mixed reviews on trip advisor?

Edited by Mr Bloom

Nirmal's is an institute, so sad times. But I assume it is closing for retirement and they deserve that!

I've been eating out roughly once a week for the last 20 years in the city centre and during that time I've only been to Nirmals once, the main reason being the woman who owns the place was far too pushy.

It will be sad to lose an institution, because it has been part of the Glossop Road furniture from when I first sampled my first Indian at Maim Sahib at West Bar about 20 years ago. But after my first and only visit to Nirmals, whenever I've fancied an Indian on a Saturday night my trade has generally gone to the likes of Agrah, Nawab, Himalaya, Mr Khans, Sahib, Seven Spices, Butlers, Shapla and the many other Indians that have been and gone during Nirmals time.

Regards

Doom

Edited by Doom

I always know it's nearly Christmas when the card from Nirmal's arrives. I'll have to rely on some other reminder now.

can't say i'll miss it, she shouldtake Martin Dawes appalling revues with her

I actually enjoy Martin Dawes reviews.

I can only remember him once actually panning a place and that was for an Indian restaurant just off one of the sides streets from West Street/Glossop Road (Bombay?).

Regards

Doom

Wow trip advisor is not kind for one repeated complaint. I remember it when it was in Barkers Pool. Still a landmark though.

I haven't been there for nearly 7 years and that was the first and last time. All they're bothered about is getting money off you. I paid over £20 for not much. Other places will give you 2 or 3 meals for that. Good riddance to a bunch of sharks.

I'm not surprised to be honest. It was about as current as Josey's nightclub. My wife and I went in one Saturday not so long ago for a greatly anticipated curry without the kids after a lovely bar hop along Division Street and it was a farce. At one point I thought Dom Joly would pop out of the kitchen. We basically were told by the old woman what we would eat and she sat and watched us while we spent 45 minutes waiting for it to turn up. And it was sub standard at best - 7 Spices blows this out of the water and The Mangla is much, much better. They've been resting on their laurels and getting away with it for too long anyway.

i read somewere about them filling a jug of water in the toilet sink,classic,glad i never went.

Always preferred Sahibs, which also closed not so long back :(

Butlers is good though. :)