Unidentified Electric Fencing

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how/where I can report farmland that is using electric fencing without any warning signs?

Been for a walk today and one of the dogs got an electric shock off a fance which is at least 300 Mts long with no warning signs whatsoever

does it have to have warning signs?

I grew up in the country and never saw warning signs on electric fencing

were you actually walking along a right of way or trespassing?

Yes it was a public right of way, and yes it should have a warning sign see below:

SAFETY REQUIREMENTS AND REGULATIONS

Electric fences shall be installed and operated so that they cause no electrical hazard to persons, animals or their surroundings.

Electric fence constructions, which are likely to lead to entanglement of animals or persons, shall be avoided.

An electric fence shall not be supplied from more than one energiser or from independent fence circuits of the same energiser.

The gap between two separate electric fences with different energisers shall be at least 2m.

If this gap is to be closed, this should be effected by means of a electrically non conductive material.

Barbed or razor wire shall not be electrified by an energiser.

Any part of an electric fence which is installed along a public path or highway shall be identified by warning plates securely fastened to the fence posts or firmly clamped to the fence wires at intervals recommended to be of approximately 10 metres to 50 metres, but not exceeding 90 metres. The warning signs shall be at least 100mm x 200mm. The background colour of both sides shall be yellow. The inscription shall be black and shall be the substance of TAKE CARE - ELECTRIC FENCE. The inscription shall be indelible, inscribed on both sides and have a height of at least 25mm.

Except for low output battery operated energisers, the energiser earth electrode shall penetrate the ground to a depth of at least 1m.

Connecting leads that are run inside buildings shall be effectively insulated from the earth structural parts of the building. This may be achieved by using double insulated high voltage cable HT or HTG Cable.

Connecting leads that are run underground shall be run in a conduit of insulating material.

Care shall be taken to avoid damage to the connecting leads due to the effects of animal hooves or tractor wheels sinking into the ground.

Connecting leads shall not be installed in the same conduit as the mains supply wiring, communication cables or data cables.

Connecting leads and electric fence wires shall not cross above overhead power or communication lines.

Crossings with overhead cables shall be avoided wherever possible. If such a crossing cannot be avoided, it shall be made underneath the power line and as nearly as possible at right angles to it.

If connecting leads and electric fences are installed near an overhead power line the clearances shall be:

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how/where I can report farmland that is using electric fencing without any warning signs?

Been for a walk today and one of the dogs got an electric shock off a fance which is at least 300 Mts long with no warning signs whatsoever

So your dog was trying to get into a private field with animals inside?

So your dog was trying to get into a private field with animals inside?

Which was bounded by an electric fence that should have been signed, but wasn't.

So, which party has actually broken a law?

1. I never said it was my dog.

2. No it wasn't

3. That Is totally immaterial

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 23:44 ----------

Exactly my point spikemac

Maybe your dog will think twice in future before trying to walk through a fence.

So just out of curiosity and not getting involved with who is to blame, had there been electric fence warning signs would your dog have read these and stayed away from said fence????

Which was bounded by an electric fence that should have been signed, but wasn't.

So, which party has actually broken a law?

1. I never said it was my dog.

2. No it wasn't

3. That Is totally immaterial

I see it as a dog trying to get in a field with expensive livestock or horses, it's not like the dog would be seriously hurt in any way, the fences are put up to keep animals in or predators out.

mido2k2 I assume your comment was some sort of an attempt at a joke?

ALL our dogs were on leads so were within 3 ft control of the owners

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 23:51 ----------

Who ever mentioned any livestock?

The point is there was a fence, it was an electric fence which by law should have signs indicating it is electrified and it didn't.

I see it as a dog trying to get in a field with expensive livestock or horses, it's not like the dog would be seriously hurt in any way, the fences are put up to keep animals in or predators out.

You might see it like that. It doesn't mean that it happened like that.

Not putting a sign on an electric fence is an offence. A dog touching one is not. Pretty simple really.

It's perfectly permissible to walk a dog across a field on a footpath you know. You do have to negotiate a fence on occasions and if it's electrified then the dog walker has a right to be aggrieved and technically has the right to pull it down at a crossing point to make it safe.