Metal detecting

hi iv just started metal detecting with my disabled son..both of us are keen to learn..but now looking for permition to metal detect on farm land..we will obey rules,fill in holes,and take all rubbish away..if theirs any land owners/farmers..that will let us do this please get in touch with me...its also a good way of making friends,dating fields,and keeping fit....theirs just the 2 of us...not a coach load of people.....thank you for looking...I will be taking out insurance..so we will be coverd...for accidents ect lol........but will not leave any potholes..and leave it as we found it....thank you

Good luck with that, it's something I have fancied having a go at.

Regarding permissions, you could always knock on the doors of farmhouses etc.

A lot of places don't need permission, I bet there are finds along ancient tracks

and routes to old markets.

thank you im looking forward to going out lol..its a adventure lol

Hi just wondered if you had any luck with this, I'm also new to this and finding land to detect on isn't easy anyone knows of anywhere please let me know

Had a metal detector bought for my birthday. Anyone do it? Any tips etc welcome

Thanks in advance

Hi I have just bought a metal detector for me and my boy to go out treasure hunting but realised finding somewhere to go is easier said than done, so I was wondering if there are any land owners out there willing to give us permission to use any of there land of a weekend. We would share any finds 50/50 and make sure all holes are refilled. It would be fantastic if someone could help us out because this is the only thing i can get him interested in and give him a break from the dreaded xbox.

Yes it is not easy, perhaps join a club? or have a go at beaches, you can get a free licence to detect English beaches easily online.

I enjoy detecting but don't get out as often as I would like, there are places where you don't need permission of course.

This is what I do, keep off private land (without permission) keep off National Parks,

avoid at all costs Scheduled Monuments or Sites of Special Scientific Interest.

The rest, eg. common land and meadows I risk if not sure. The code of conduct is available online and well worth a read.

Hi thanks for the advice, we have done the beach but it is quite a trek to do all the time.

You mentioned common ground & meadows, could you recommend anywhere specific? I would be grateful of any suggestions.

Thanks

Anyone fancy setting a club up in Sheffield?

I think there is a club already, certainly for S Yorks if not Sheffield.

Clubs are good at getting permissions and organising group detects, but a little restrictive for folk like me who just want to get up one morning and have a go.

A more informal group rather than club might be good?

Be nice for a few of us to meet up and explore a few sites