Leftist mayor will take New York back to the 1970s

It's not lefties who support the right of psychopathic mass murderers in the US to carry guns.

No, but it's lefties who want to ban law-abiding people from owning guns in order to defend themselves against psychopathic mass murderers.

Ending the "racist" stop and search procedure will lead to the deaths of more young black men than continuing it would.

New York really was a cesspool in the late 70s. Read about what happened when they had a blackout in 1977 to see how bad things got. It's amazing that Giuliani and Bloomberg were able to turn things around in so short a time.

He didn't become mayor until 1994. You seem to know a bit about New York HH, could you give us a run down on the social, cultural, political and economic changes that occurred in New York City between 1977 and 1994?

It's not lefties who support the right of psychopathic mass murderers in the US to carry guns.

---------- Post added 10-11-2013 at 17:56 ----------

Some of us remember Black Wednesday in 1992 when Cameron was seen hiding behind Norman Lamont.

Some of us remember chronic mismanagement of all aspects of our government every time Labour have been in power.

I'd hardly call the Democrats "left-winged". There is no left wing party in US politics.

This.

NYC has been unaffordable for the average person for at least 30 years. Now only the really rich can live there

When gentrification was happening, the poor were forced north into Harlem and the Bronx, west and across the river into Jersey City, and east into Brooklyn and Queens.

Now those areas are being priced out and people are moving further north into Westchester county and deeper into Jersey. Most of Long Island is priced out for the average person.

Dinkins was elected in 92, and things were meh, Giuliani came in and ruined the place. Manhattan no longer has its edge, its grit. Its like a giant outdoor shopping mall now.

Do working people want to live somewhere with an "edge", with "grit"? The city almost went bankrupt in the 70s, people were moving out in droves. Over the last 2 decades people have been moving in in droves. Now the left is back in control the population will likely decrease due to tax increases and because of crime.

Edited by Stan Tamudo

Watch the film "the Summer of Sam" to see what New York was like in the seventies, it is set in 1977, and features the blackout and the son of sam killings as well as the general malaise that the city was in during that era. Some great music as well.

Do working people want to live somewhere with an "edge", with "grit"? The city almost went bankrupt in the 70s, people were moving out in droves. Over the last 2 decades people have been moving in in droves. Now the left is back in control the population will likely decrease due to tax increases and because of crime.

Early to mid-90s NYC, when I was there at least 3 times a week, was a good mix. The prossies were still in times square but pickpocketing was becoming non-existent. It was a safe place to be and everyday people could still live there without much worry.

Most of the nightclubs and music venues I used to be at have now turned into shop fronts for high end clothing (CBGBs), condos (The Knitting Factory) or a mall (The Limelight). My most favourite venue, The Roseland Ballroom, is now threatening to be closed in the New Year. More than likely due to rent being increased to an unreasonable level.

Seriously. Malls, in NYC, when everything is on your doorstep. BLAAAAAAAND.

Manhattan should be renamed Magnolia.

I mean Hells Kitchen was called that because of all the drug dens and brothels. Now its one of the most desirable places in Manhattan.

To me, what makes NY is its grit, its determination. The pride in its uniqueness. Being slick and glossy makes its boring and dull.

I'll still recommend people to visit, but its not the place to live.

I found this article interesting. I had read about De Blasio winning the mayorship in NYC but I didn't realise what an extremist he is. He sounds like a real opportunist, adopting an Italian name (his birth name is Warren Wilhelm Jr.) and marrying a black ex-lesbian in order to hit all of the identity politics criteria. New York has been transformed into one of the greatest cities in the world over the past 20 years, the last time the left held it it had become a cesspool, the leadership had to go cap in hand to Gerald Ford for a bailout, he told them to "drop dead".

I think how New York fares over the coming years will serve as a warning to London and the world in general of what leftist government can do to once great cities. Not that we need any warning of that here in Sheffield of course!

ex-lesbian? please explain to me how this is even possible.

ex-lesbian? please explain to me how this is even possible.

Shall I draw you a diagram :huh:

Shall I draw you a diagram :huh:

Well, Homosexuals claim that they are borne that way so how can someone just change their minds? Or is that just not true?