War graves in Sheffield?

the old Wardsend cemetry behind Owlerton is supposed to have lots of war graves. The cemetry itself is neglected and overrun, but to me this adds to the natural beauty of the place

Not entirely sure about war graves but there are a few RAF men burried in Crookes Cemetry. You can see their graves from the path

The C.W.G.Commission records the graves or memorial of RAF men and also two WAAFs in Crookes Cemetery as well as soldiers. All the RAF were Volunteer Reserve so possibly based in Sheffield or nearby.

---------- Post added 11-11-2013 at 17:13 ----------

the old Wardsend cemetry behind Owlerton is supposed to have lots of war graves. The cemetry itself is neglected and overrun, but to me this adds to the natural beauty of the place

I can't find Wardsend on the list under that name. As I said before the C.W.G.C. have responsibility for the graves and memorials of all those killed on active service or missing in action. They actually inspect the graves and memorials so if Wardsend does have any war graves from '14-'18 onwards they should not be neglected.

I understand what you mean by natural beauty but if a cemetery is totally neglected not only are the gravestones eventually destroyed but the place becomes impassable. In the long term this could spell the end of the cemetery as natural space. The UK is one of the few places where a grave plot is for 'eternity'. In other countries it varies between one and fifty years. Eventually this may happen here but I would be more concerned that a neglected cemetary could be seen as suitable for development.

Edited by dhs1

There are soldiers graves in St. Michaels R.C. cemetery on Rivelin Valley Road from WW1

These include the grave of a member of the Australian Forces.

---------- Post added 11-11-2013 at 17:19 ----------

The C.W.G.Commission records the graves or memorial of RAF men and also two WAAFs in Crookes Cemetery as well as soldiers. All the RAF were Volunteer Reserve so possibly based in Sheffield or nearby.

---------- Post added 11-11-2013 at 17:13 ----------

I can't find Wardsend on the list under that name. As I said before the C.W.G.C. have responsibility for the graves and memorials of all those killed on active service or missing in action. They actually inspect the graves and memorials so if Wardsend does have any war graves from '14-'18 onwards they should not be neglected.

I understand what you mean by natural beauty but if a cemetery is totally neglected not only are the gravestones eventually destroyed but the place becomes impassable. In the long term this could spell the end of the cemetery as natural space. The UK is one of the few places where a grave plot is for 'eternity'. In other countries it varies between one and fifty years. Eventually this may happen here but I would be more concerned that a neglected cemetary could be seen as suitable for development.

There is a Victoria Cross winner buried at Wardsend. His name is Lambert.

There is also an inscribed obelisk as well as graves.

There is a website for Friends of Wardsend Cemetery.

You would have to check the dates of death as they may be prior 1914.

Edited by harvey19

I did a bit of research on the guy who was awarded the VC and who is buried near the Hillsborough College cemetery. He won his award for the Relief of Mafeking and died back at Hillsborough Barracks a bit later on. They gave him a big funeral - including marching his horse with his boots turned the wrong way in the stirrups, must have been some spectacle for a very brave soldier. Its very hard to find the gravestone but if you check the internet and then go looking it is possible.

There are three of the small white war graves commission headstones in Dore churchyard, but quite a number, at least 20, names on ordinary family headstones of men who died in the world wars.

It's heartbreaking looking at the number of lads aged 18-20 who were killed in September, October, 1918, just weeks before the armistice.

The generals knew the armistice was coming but still sent their men to pointless death.

The last episode of Blackadder is the best satire of WW1 ever made.

The man who should have been shot was Haig.

The War Graves Commission are reported to have recently contacted all MPs with details of the war graves in their constituency to highlight the fact that there are graves in the UK of servicemen killed on active service. I've looked at the website but searching for Yorkshire cemeteries with such graves only results in an error page. Does anyone know of any war graves in Sheffield? As the very name of the Northern General comes from it's use as a armed forces hospital there must be some.

there are some in city road cemertery

There is a VC grave in All Saints Ecclesall, there is also a memorial to a bomber crew who crashed at Endcliffe Park

I did a bit of research on the guy who was awarded the VC and who is buried near the Hillsborough College cemetery. He won his award for the Relief of Mafeking and died back at Hillsborough Barracks a bit later on.

Not Mafeking - he earned the VC in the Indian mutiny, in particular during the siege of Lucknow.

see http://www.friendsofwardsendcemetery.btck.co.uk/People

The CWGC gravestones were removed from Wardsend when it became derelict. The names of the war casualties there are now commemorated at City Road.

As well as the war graves in the St Michael's RC cemetery in the Rivelin Valley, there are also 44 war graves in the adjacent St Mary's CofE Cemetery (also known as Walkley Cemetery) and one in the Jewish Cemetery. On Sunday we held our annual Remembrance Tour of Walkley Cemetery, visiting each of the war graves.

Hugh

Friends of Walkley Cemetery

Edited by HughW

There is a VC grave in All Saints Ecclesall, there is also a memorial to a bomber crew who crashed at Endcliffe Park

To be precise there's a VC holder buried there, not in a CWGC grave but in a family grave. His name appears on the side of the gravestone, and on a small plaque at the foot.

The memorial to the bomber crew is in the park, I'm not aware of one at All Saints?

Bradfield church has a few R.A.F mens graves in it.One belongs to a lad called victor willis who was a bomb aimer on a 9 squadron lancaster bomber returning to R.A.F bardney in lincolnshire after a mission to germany which crashed in the vicinity of bardney.He was 22 years old,me and my lad go up when we can to place some flowers on his grave.

Not graves as such but there are the ww2 plane wrecks in the peak district.

Many of the crew were never found.