Why are there never any bins in train stations

If someone intellectual really wanted to do something horrible they unfortunately will find a way to do it. No matter how difficult you want to make it for them.

I say intellectual because an intelligent person would not do such horrible thing.

I lived in London during the IRA bombings. I was late one morning to catch a train and luckily for me I missed a bomb.It was left in a bin and as far as I know that's why there are no bins. Also any left bags, parcels would cause mega disruption due to places being evacuated and a controlled explosion happening to the left artical.

Would this be the reason younger generations get used to throw their stuff all over the place when they are out?

Isn't it a throwback to terrorist attacks from yonks ago when the Southern Irish liked us a lot less than they might do now.

The 2nd Harrods bombing was a catalyst for a mass removal of bins in public areas. It was in 1993 and the two who planted the bomb in a bin outside Harrods were both English although they had strong Irish Republican sympathies and were IRA members. They were caught on CCTV and easily recognisable. Four people were injured. The 2 IRA members went to prison but were released early under the Good Friday agreement. At least one of them moved to Ireland though.

The strategy seems to have been effective, even though it has traumatised the OP.

From what I saw yesterday in Sheffield and Donny they use clear bin bags...

That's true. There are clear bags near to the entrance of Shefield station, but none on the platforms.

I normally leave my cup on a table in any establishment that sells coffee in paper cups. That seems morally ok to me.

I have noticed there is never any bins in train stations, and isnt it annoying.

You buy a sandwich and can of pop waiting for the train to arrive, then it is late, so you are sat there enjoying your sandwich and a can of pop.

You finish your sandwich and can of pop ... and .... guess what ..... no bins around.... you end up taking your rubbish with you on the train.

I am not sure if it is policy for train stations not to put bins out, but it is annoying ..... why no bins ?????

Does this annoy anyone else or is it just me.

rant over .....

and first thread for years I have done, I dont normally rant but this is the place to rant now :)

After events such as this:

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/1991/feb/19/northernireland.duncancampbell

.. most major stations had a lot of furniture removed, including bins and signage. I remember a stage in the mid 90s when Kings Cross didn't even have any benches, and you either stood or sat on the floor.

.. most major stations had a lot of furniture removed, including bins and signage. I remember a stage in the mid 90s when Kings Cross didn't even have any benches, and you either stood or sat on the floor.

I've just got the rush hour train back from York. It seems that they've extended this policy to the trains:)

That's true. There are clear bags near to the entrance of Shefield station, but none on the platforms.

I normally leave my cup on a table in any establishment that sells coffee in paper cups. That seems morally ok to me.

I got off a Manchester bound train and there was one on that platform, think it's 8 pal, last one anyway next to tram entrance, rubber top on it lol...

There are no bins at Liverpool Lime Street. I asked a station employee what to do and he said that there were regular litter patrols so just chuck it on the floor and it would get picked up.

Put your feet up because there are regular seat-cleaning patrols.