Trying to be socially conscious..

I'm interested in people's thoughts on the needs of the people of Sheffield. This isn't for an assignment, or for academic research purposes before anyone becomes nervous about giving their response. This is for personal interest as I feel I know some things that the people of Sheffield need and would benefit from in a social context but not everything, as I only have my own perspective to work from.

What are the issues that people face in Sheffield right now that cannot be met by public sector? (and I'm not looking to have anyone buy services from me, so no need for caution there either).

In addition to the potential concerns above I can also reassure that this isn't nebulous and meaningless questioning of you all. I value your time as I do my own so any replies will be greatly appreciated.

So I guess the only thing left is charitable contributions... which I am also not asking for from anyone.

It would be fair at this stage to give some kind of clue why I wish to know your thoughts on the question above so I will hint at that now. I have a place/centre/building/space call it what you want as I don't wish to define it further at this point. This space needs energy/people/life/ and has a long history of good social intention behind it.

In order for it to have life/people/energy it needs a new social context and I'm only interested in one that meets the needs of Sheffield people, who may be needy. When I say needy you can also define that how you wish. Needy of food? Education? Nurturing? social contact? general vulnerability?

It is also fair of me to say that there is money to take care of this as long as there is an educational element to some of the needs identified.

To give an example of my thinking (which is only one individual perspective) I feel some of the needs are:

A need to redress the balance of food in the city.

A need to redress the balance of imagery that children are exposed to (be it GTA 5 / inappropriate and accidental internet use / etc.)

A need for adult education that is free

A need for cross community sharing

These are a few things that come to my mind immediately but I am genuinely interested to hear others views from across the city. What do you see as the need in our city now, at this time and time meaning era?

Here's hoping

Hi Titian,

I am not entirely sure of your intentions, although it has a very altruistic feel, so let me give you an idea so we can see if I am understanding you correctly.

As some people on this forum have had the misfortune of encountering, I am very passionate about integration and combating misunderstanding of issues of race and religion.

Yesterday I had a verbal exchange with some people about my world-view and how the world-view of foreigners that seems to exist within the UK could do with altering. The discussion was heated and it caused me to think: It would be brilliant to have a charity that actively encourages dialogue between people that feel disenchanted with immigration and actual immigrants.

Having worked at the University (and now at another University in the country) I am fortunate to meet people from all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities on a daily basis. I need to appreciate that this is why I have the views I have and that it is easy to forget that not everybody has the opportunity for such encounters.

That is how far my thinking went, what do you make of it?

Hi Titian,

I am not entirely sure of your intentions, although it has a very altruistic feel, so let me give you an idea so we can see if I am understanding you correctly.

As some people on this forum have had the misfortune of encountering, I am very passionate about integration and combating misunderstanding of issues of race and religion.

Yesterday I had a verbal exchange with some people about my world-view and how the world-view of foreigners that seems to exist within the UK could do with altering. The discussion was heated and it caused me to think: It would be brilliant to have a charity that actively encourages dialogue between people that feel disenchanted with immigration and actual immigrants.

Having worked at the University (and now at another University in the country) I am fortunate to meet people from all sorts of backgrounds and nationalities on a daily basis. I need to appreciate that this is why I have the views I have and that it is easy to forget that not everybody has the opportunity for such encounters.

That is how far my thinking went, what do you make of it?

Hi tzijlstra,

This would certainly fit my thinking as one of the streams of cultural development. How to frame that positively so that it didn't become an agressive debating society would need some thought I imagine, but yes I can see this kind of work being in the picture.

You are also right in it being an altruistic act. My belief is that it needs to be altruistic for it to have the right and correct impact socially. Giving altruistically in my opinion is the way to reform society on a large scale. Just my opinion.

I love your opinion, you are spot on :)

The way I think it could work is by ensuring the meetings remain small scale and that contacts are set up between individuals or small family groups. people could volunteer to meet someone (random) for a cup of coffee or tea at a location they both agree on so they can talk to each other and ask about each others culture. The mechanics of this could be worked out via a website I suppose, or a forum for Sheffielders ;)

I'd like to see something spiritual. A meditation / wellbeing centre / holistic healing, that sort of thing. An oasis of peace and calm in a troubled world.

Just an idea, hope it helps. Whatever you do, thankyou. I applaud your intentions and wish you luck.

I think adult education is very important so would support this. I myself went back into education via a community course and from that I am now studying at The University of Sheffield.

I also think that there is a gap of things to do with children between 4-10 and their parents in the community apart from dance/sports which can be quite costly.

I would like to see a centre that could offer craft, homework help, some sports at a low cost. The low cost could be negotiated that if parents/children offer time/skills with other projects then their project could continue to run and this could apply to other members projects too.

I also think that a sign posting service would be helpful within the space as there are many services which people don't realise exist.

A space that can be used for multi-purposes would be great and I would like to see the following people get benefit:

Children between 4-10 (not excluding those from working backgrounds but also encouraging those from disadvantaged backgrounds)

Adults who wish to gain qualifications or take up a hobby but not penalising those who work

The elderly

I am using my opinions based on a community development course I took part in and so needs may have changed but certainly the children's part would benefit me and my family and I am not aware of any similar projects

Edited by jenz245

How utterly disrespectful and crass of you to say that. The O/P has a high post count and been a member of this forum for years, unlike yourself.

I think an apology is in order don't you ... unless you're just trolling. :loopy:

We've been here before... a high post count should command respect??? :loopy:

I think not!

We all know how similar posts are dealt with by mods, so you cannot blame people for being suspicious of the poster's motives.

Maybe being socially conscious should also extend to equal treatment for all?

---------- Post added 08-11-2013 at 13:10 ----------

......can't seem to edit post above which is now redundant!

Edited by Mr Bloke

We've been here before... a high post count should command respect??? :loopy:

<snip>

......can't seem to edit post above which is now redundant!

Just take the rest of the day off, eh? I'll cover for you.

Just take the rest of the day off, eh? I'll cover for you.

Thanks - will do! :D

Thank you for the replies so far they are a help. They all seem to be of a similar mind to me so far and I would like to hear others views, even those who aren't particularly interested in receiving a benefit from any of the work that may happen there. The sceptics' points of view are also welcome.