"Proper" Black Pudding

Where does one go in Sheff these days to buy proper, old-style black pudding? By "proper" I mean the type that has the lumps of white, lardy bits of fat in it. Yeah - heart-attack-on-a-plate, I know - but the black pudding that they sell these days, in most butchers shops and (God forbid)... in supermarkets ...is just so bland, boring and homogeonised.

When I was a kid in the'60'S & '70's, my mum and dad used to buy it at least once or twice a week from a butcher's called Kelsey's in Hillsborough. Kelsey's is long gone now and wherever I've been in the UK since, I've never found anywhere that sells a black pudding anywhere as near as nice.

I'm aware that this subject has been aired before on the foodies forum, but I'd be interested to hear current opinions on where to find the best black pud in town.

This will go with your homemade oatcakes no doubt? I like my black pudding oaty and with hard nuggets of fat. Try Conrad Kempka on Abbeydale Road (diagonally opposite the old cinema) who usually has two varities on offer, a continental version, plastic wrapped which can be sliced to your requirements, and his own in links. My choice varies. While there, check out the Italian sausages made to a recipe fom the now deceased Marco @ Taste on Ecclesall Road.

If you fancy making your own bacon, which I do regularly, he will happily bone out some pork belly for you. Hope this helps to make London living a little but more palatable!

Try the Meadowfresh butchers in either Dobbies, or they have a shop in Chesterfield Market Place.

Here I am, all these years later - and yet I still  haven't managed to find anything like what I'd  call a proper old-style black pudding anywhere in Sheff. I like the squidgy black puds, with the distinct squares of fat in them. I've tried most of the places mentioned on earlier on this  thread. They were all ok, but not exactly what I'd call a "proper" black pud. The nearest I've found over the past couple of years has been from Kevin Stenton's (formerly MarkTalbot's) butcher's - in Hillsborough.  It's nice  but not exactly what I'd call a proper old style black pudding. Does anyone out there have any recommendations?

13 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Here I am, all these years later - and yet I still  haven't managed to find anything like what I'd  call a proper old-style black pudding anywhere in Sheff. I like the squidgy black puds, with the distinct squares of fat in them. I've tried most of the places mentioned on earlier on this  thread. They were all ok, but not exactly what I'd call a "proper" black pud. The nearest I've found over the past couple of years has been from Kevin Stenton's (formerly MarkTalbot's) butcher's - in Hillsborough.  It's nice  but not exactly what I'd call a proper old style black pudding. Does anyone out there have any recommendations?

WOW - a seven year search to find 'Proper' Black Pudding

Nice to see your still out there and can only assume its been fun sampling lesser puddings over the years.

The Question  has to be 'What is Proper Black Pudding?'

We were always told 'Proper Black Pudding' was our Scottish one, the one with NO fat.

The best 'Proper Black Pudding' I've ever had was 'Home Made' by the Mother of the landlord of the White Rose (Penistone Rd).

This was totally different from anything you would buy in a shop and better for it.

the only way to describe it would be a cross between what we know as black pudding and potted meat in consistency.

I have found an interesting link to a 'make your own' black pudding kit being offered on the Internet using dried pigs blood, sadly these are unavailable at the moment by the looks of it.

https://www.weschenfelder.co.uk/black-pudding-making-kit.html

Leeds 'Thackery Museum' has a series of streets (a bit like York museum) which has a representation of a back yard butcher complete with a very large pot happily boiling away pigs blood in the open air. For those with a week stomach the whole place has the relevant smells wafting through so you can imagine what the outside butchers yard smells like.

Well worth a visit when all this CoraV thing is over.

Keep safe, 

Eat well.

Edited by Rockers rule
additional info

Try Rooneys pork butchers on the corner of Hickmott Road and Sharrow Vale Road S11. Everything I've ever had from there  has been 'over' tasty for my taste, so their tastebuds might match your own. Having said that I am a supertaster so most things are over seasoned for me.