Why do posh people eat raw meat?

Mainly because you don't want to be eating budget meat raw - it wants cooking.

Expensive meat from cows with personal masseurs and dieticians however, yum. No cooking required.

If cooking anything was required, we'd have died out as a species pretty early on.

Spot on, I'd hate to eat cowheel tartare! :gag:

Generally speaking the better the meat the less time it needs cooking.

apart from pork?

Was thinking the same. Uncooked pork is dangerous - trichinosis. Chicken too - salmonella.

Sound like perfect foods for the elites :)

They're not necessarily posh, I've met enough idiot hipsers in my time who will order a rare steak at a restaurant, exclaiming how divine it tastes...only to wash every bite down with a glug of wine - either you want to taste the meat or you don't.

Anyway, for those of us who are familiar with the Maillard Reaction, we can sit before our nicely cooked steak feeling smug knowing that the only reason the other diners ordered it rare is because they'd like to be seen as cultured, but I've seen through it.

The Maillard Reaction, this is science, this is me using science for good.

It's steak tartare that gets me. A bridge too far
You've not had a proper one ;)

it's also not a steak, a steak is a nice slice of meat, not a lump of raw mince with stuff on.
It is a steak (originally). Filet, to be precise (partly for the health/safety reasons I1L2T3 outlined about pork/chicken), which is then minced coarsely. Then prepared/seasoned to taste (capers, tabasco, etc., spicy or not, with raw egg yolk or not - I like mine with).

Beef tartare best eaten with some thin fries, for both texture and hot/cold contrasts. Salmon, tuna or scallop tartares best eaten with toasted farmbread slices. All IMHO of course. And see, nothing posh about that.

That said, was lucky enough to take the Mrs to Sat Bains a few weeks ago, and he served us a tartare of hare filet. OMG, never thought it possible. orders of magnitude better than any beef tartare I've ever eaten (and I've eaten a few).

We're not posh at all, btw. But we do like our food. Very much. We don't bother with pubs (and the like) for weeks on end, to afford once-in-a-while fine dining occasions. Heston's Fat Duck is next on the list, probably some time next year if all goes well.

Edited by L00b

You've not had a proper one ;)

It is a steak (originally). Filet, to be precise (partly for the health/safety reasons I1L2T3 outlined about pork/chicken), which is then minced coarsely

The once I had it in London the chef made a great deal of having finely hand chopped rather than minced it, little realising we Sheffield folk prefer cheap and didn't appreciate the increase in price due to labour costs!

The once I had it in London the chef made a great deal of having finely hand chopped rather than minced it, little realising we Sheffield folk prefer cheap and didn't appreciate the increase in price due to labour costs!
Tut-tut-tut...ruined the meat texture, for the sake of show/snobbism :mad: I'd have sent it back.

If a chef is going to expend labour, they should at least try and create something new/unusual with it, rather than make-work.

Don't ever go to France then, they love their meat raw.

And that has just been in Arc De Triomphe, isn't the art of eating it fully raw called steak tartare or something.

Tut-tut-tut...ruined the meat texture, for the sake of show/snobbism :mad: I'd have sent it back.

If a chef is going to expend labour, they should at least try and create something new/unusual with it, rather than make-work.

Apparently Monsieur L00b it's a dish to be chopped with two Sabattier knives :loopy:

Ps Love Sat Bains too..better than the Old Vicarage and nearly as local.

Apparently Monsieur L00b it's a dish to be chopped with two Sabattier knives :loopy:
So...snobbism it was, then :D

Ps Love Sat Bains too..better than the Old Vicarage and nearly as local.
[sacrilege]still not quite as good as Fischers (Baslow), though[/sacrilege] ;)

On-topic, it's not a question of people being posh or not to eat and appreciate raw meat, it's a question of educating one's palate and tastes.

I know a ton of people who are far less 'posher' than many a ten-bob-millionaire with airs and graces (whom I also have the -unfortunate- pleasure of knowing a few of), and who are always looking fwd to a dinner chez les L00b for trying new things, cooked and not ;)

I've lost count of how many Brits I've converted to foie gras :twisted: