Accident Outside Argos

The buses do fly round that corner at a hell of a speed. I guess the poor old dear wasn't as nimble as most people who have to sprint to safety. Not necessarily blaming the drivers - it's a blind bend with the road also swinging in from behind.

Edited by Dan_Ashcroft

I can never understand this.......

On many occasions, on Angel Street and in fact all over Sheffield, Pedestrians always wait for cars to pass before crossing, but never buses.

I've seen a line of cars with a bus behind, they wait for the cars to pass, but walk out in front of the bus, not a one off event, but seen it quite a lot.

Is it because they think the bus is going slower?

Is it because they think the bus is going slower?

Yes... in a word.

I have seen many near-misses between buses and pedestrians on that junction so I always keep my wits about me when I'm crossing the road (even more so when I'm cycling through).

I'm sorry to hear of the incident and would like to pass on my best wishes to both the driver and the lady who was hit.

Sadly you are right. There have been far too many accidents there, and the only way realistically they can be prevented is to have it as a pedestrian only area, no vehicles, but then buses cannot get around to the markets where a lot of passengers require us

It is a busy area with lots of people and buses but I don't see any accidents when I am there.

When do these far too many accidents happen then?

There is a crossing outside primark and the traffic only goes one way down there, what more can they do. Hope the lady is ok, the buses do fly round that corner though!

There is a crossing outside primark and the traffic only goes one way down there, what more can they do. Hope the lady is ok, the buses do fly round that corner though!

No they don't.

No they don't.

Oh yes they do, modern buses have jet engines and everything :nod:

I'm wracking my brains trying to figure out where the crossing is outside Primark, I can't remember one

I'm wracking my brains trying to figure out where the crossing is outside Primark, I can't remember one

The City Centre Primark? It's right outside the doors!

I'll get you a map in a minute...

Here, try this. It should work with google chrome or another flash-enabled browser :)

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=primark+sheffield&ll=53.383344,-1.465001&spn=0.002883,0.005466&hq=primark&hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.383058,-1.465422&panoid=3e_zh3748MnrjzyUIym8cQ&cbp=12,311.08,,0,0

Look where the buses are!

Or try this one - you can see that people are crossing the road on red while the bus (who is on green) is coming around the corner up the hill :D

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=primark+sheffield&ll=53.38306,-1.46542&spn=0.002883,0.005466&hq=primark&hnear=Sheffield,+South+Yorkshire,+United+Kingdom&t=m&layer=c&cbll=53.3832,-1.465707&panoid=DgoPv-75MTqAi7JFJYZKLg&cbp=12,131.08,,0,0&z=18

Edited by Jason Bourne
added link, updated post

see the bus coming around the corner up the hill while people are still crossing!

To be fair, you can't blame the bus for this...it's clear on the photo that the pedestrian crossing is showing a red man, so those people shouldn't be crossing. It's not the drivers fault if he has right of way at that time.

To be fair, you can't blame the bus for this...it's clear on the photo that the pedestrian crossing is showing a red man, so those people shouldn't be crossing. It's not the drivers fault if he has right of way at that time.

Oh, I'm not blaming the bus driver at all! I'll edit the post (again!) to make that clear :)

That intersection is not to be blamed and the bus drivers are very careful in Sheffield city centre.

I have (rarely) walked unconsciously onto city streets before while having a seizure.

Nobody is to be blamed when that type of accident happens.

Ill health can make this happen but it is nobody fault nor the location that is to be blamed.