Arbourthorne council house - kitchen/coal house/porch

Has anyone knocked these three rooms into one?

Mine is the end house of a four block and before I get a structural engineer and/or builder involved I wonder if this has been done before??

Any advice would be welcomed!

Most of those older council houses were knocked through, across the city, when they were renovated. My sister in law's on woodthorpe had this done, extending the kitchen by a good two metres. (it was also done with my aunts old house on the Wybourn about 30/35 years ago)

ive done a cpl of these for fellow forumers bear in mind when taking out the walls etc rsj will have to be fitted .whats the roof above the porch/toilet area ? is the outside walls from toilet/porch area single skin ? is there a difference in floor heights when walls have been taken out ? pm me your number and we can talk more

ive got an rsj you can have for £15 and you can look at mine while you are here which i did. tel 07788504336

Mine is the end house of a four block and before I get a structural engineer and/or builder involved I wonder if this has been done before??

We had this done in our old house in Parson Cross - end house of four, kitchen/coal house/toilet. Had it all knocked through into one, we did have an RSJ put in, best thing we ever did!

We had to level the floor as the coal house side was concrete and the kitchen floorboards. Our builder used levelling compound to resolve this and we had new ceilings which may have needed putting to the same height.

You'll need Building Regs bloke to come out and assess it then come back to check it.

Did you buy it on the open market or direct from SCC? Is it freehold or leasehold?

Or are you still an SCC tenant?

If you are a council tenant you will need permission first

Many thanks for all your quick responses!!

I want to leave the loo where it is; knock out the dividing wall between kitchen and porch / coal house; raise the floor level of the porch area.

But can the RSJ sit directly on the dividing wall between kitchen and living room or does it need a brick pillar leaving in?

I don't want the pillar and I was hoping that if somebody has done this before then I won't have to employ a structural eng for calculations.

I won't be doing this myself and need a builder. House is Freehold BTW.

is the toilet/porch incorporated into the kitchen area allready or is it an offshot outhouse/toilet area? depending on span area the rsj has to have a minium bearing (usually 6inch/150 mm)seated on concrete padstones.

House is Freehold.

OK- so you bought it from SCC or an intermediate owner. Are there any covenants on your registered title that might limit your plans?