Tackle to Fish - closed?

agree about kivo, fished it a lot over the years since it opened, mostly on the top lake which used to be the specimen lake, that's when the tench fishing was fantastic, but they've since changed its purpose to a pleasure anglers lake, and since then there have been lots of additional fish stocked, skimmers predominently, but there are some nice roach & crucians too, the tench have backed off a little as there's now a higher proportion of carp & skimmers, and they're always pretty quick on the bait, you still get tench, but where once I'd be getting a dozen a session, it's more like half a dozen

the big carp still keep you interested though

fished a handful of matches on their match lake too, and always done really well

but I prefered that lake pre-2007 when it was predominently tench (a pattern emerging) since then it's all carp & bream, so fell off the radar for me

having said that I did beat Matt Godfrey off the next peg on my last visit there, winning the section & coming 3rd overall - Tom Scholey won it from the end peg in the 30's can't recall the number, & him & Matt never shut up all 5 hours, very entertaining

yeah, Loxley peg 8 - probably the best peg I've ever drawn in a match - except in my 1st fishomania match at the Oaks, I drew Maple 66a (I think) which is the corner next to the cafe, really good peg, but I couldn't reach the carp feeding in the corner with the pole I was using then (Garbo Antidote, I couldn't hold it at 14.5m let alone the 16m I needed)

my loxley match experience was a few years ago & I only fished it as a one-off as I was invited by a regular, ended up drawing next to hime too

it was the back end of the summer before the floods & the lilies were well up

I didn't know the size of the barbel in there & was actually using a 14 solid & 0.14 hooklength fishing perhaps 10ft off the lillies, had a few chub & dog roach out, but those barbel let you know they're there

strange I've not really focussed on Loxley, I was born at Stannington & lived there my first 29 years - when I was a nipper it was a private venue, maybe that's something to do with it, recent years though it's never really been known as a tench venue, and I do tend to focus on those through the warmer months - that's the main reason I packed in match fishing

Edited by dars35

agree about kivo, fished it a lot over the years since it opened, mostly on the top lake which used to be the specimen lake, that's when the tench fishing was fantastic, but they've since changed its purpose to a pleasure anglers lake, and since then there have been lots of additional fish stocked, skimmers predominently, but there are some nice roach & crucians too, the tench have backed off a little as there's now a higher proportion of carp & skimmers, and they're always pretty quick on the bait, you still get tench, but where once I'd be getting a dozen a session, it's more like half a dozen

the big carp still keep you interested though

fished a handful of matches on their match lake too, and always done really well

but I prefered that lake pre-2007 when it was predominently tench (a pattern emerging) since then it's all carp & bream, so fell off the radar for me

having said that I did beat Matt Godfrey off the next peg on my last visit there, winning the section & coming 3rd overall - Tom Scholey won it from the end peg in the 30's can't recall the number, & him & Matt never shut up all 5 hours, very entertaining

yeah, Loxley peg 8 - probably the best peg I've ever drawn in a match - except in my 1st fishomania match at the Oaks, I drew Maple 66a (I think) which is the corner next to the cafe, really good peg, but I couldn't reach the carp feeding in the corner with the pole I was using then (Garbo Antidote, I couldn't hold it at 14.5m let alone the 16m I needed)

my loxley match experience was a few years ago & I only fished it as a one-off as I was invited by a regular, ended up drawing next to hime too

it was the back end of the summer before the floods & the lilies were well up

I didn't know the size of the barbel in there & was actually using a 14 solid & 0.14 hooklength fishing perhaps 10ft off the lillies, had a few chub & dog roach out, but those barbel let you know they're there

strange I've not really focussed on Loxley, I was born at Stannington & lived there my first 29 years - when I was a nipper it was a private venue, maybe that's something to do with it, recent years though it's never really been known as a tench venue, and I do tend to focus on those through the warmer months - that's the main reason I packed in match fishing

what a lovely interesting letter dars35,thankyou for posting it I have really enjoyed reading it

i now what you mean about the tench fishing,i also love it but the overstocking off other fish makes it less productive,the tench are still their but have more competition fir the feed. iam always on the lookout for good tench venues but they are few and far these days,though I am prepared to travel.

i have recently tried hardwick as that was always good in my book,but has been seriously hit with cormorant and is not a patch in hiw it used too be.

i also tried carr vale which is a sound little venue but the tench in there are not a pretty site,really been bullied in by matchmen over the years and nearly every one caught had deformed mouths

please let me know if you hear of any decent venues,we could even have a session together if you up for it,i am free to fish anytime :-)

what a lovely interesting letter dars35,thankyou for posting it I have really enjoyed reading it

i now what you mean about the tench fishing,i also love it but the overstocking off other fish makes it less productive,the tench are still their but have more competition fir the feed. iam always on the lookout for good tench venues but they are few and far these days,though I am prepared to travel.

i have recently tried hardwick as that was always good in my book,but has been seriously hit with cormorant and is not a patch in hiw it used too be.

i also tried carr vale which is a sound little venue but the tench in there are not a pretty site,really been bullied in by matchmen over the years and nearly every one caught had deformed mouths

please let me know if you hear of any decent venues,we could even have a session together if you up for it,i am free to fish anytime :-)

Have you tried triang fishery at Thorne ? Not the first lake, walk past that and then there are 2 lakes, the one on the right was chock full of tench, a few carp too but mainly tench.