House prices in Sheffield - forum users experiences?

The housing market in Sheffield is:  

17 members have voted

1. 1. The housing market in Sheffield is:

• definitely on the way up
    • pretty much the same
    • set to get worse

Hello all,

Now that we appear to be seeing an upturn in house prices nationwide (let's call it London) I am wondering what people's opinions are on prices in Sheffield. Do you feel that things are looking up or are they still bad?

Please state your reasons as well, it will be interesting to see what a small cross-section of Sheffielders thinks of the current state of affairs.

My personal feeling is that things are pretty much the same, although it does seem to have bottomed out and there appears to be a bit more coming onto the market, which is a good sign.

They seem pretty flat in Sheffield,any rise has been in the west of the city.

It depends on which area. If its the rental areas eg: Crookes and Walkley, they can be snapped up in a few days. Houses in Crosspool, Lodge Moor and Fulwood always sell quickly. Other areas like Handsworth and Darnall can stand empty for months. Its the same story Location, Location, Location.:)

They seem pretty flat in Sheffield,any rise has been in the west of the city.

Not necessarily. I'll be putting my late Dad's house on the market sometime soon, I had it valued back in the summer and the estate agent has advised me that it will have gone up by now. This is in S20.

From what I've seen the bottom of the market is still slow but strangely more expensive houses are moving more quickly.

That is interesting, wonder if it is to do with more University related jobs coming into the city?

So general opinion is that it is pretty flat. I hope it picks up soon...

Asking prices are definitely on the up, however, if they are realistic or not is another matter entirely.

It seems to have dipped slightly to me, but it all depends on location. We're trying to move to Walkley and have stopped viewing houses because they come on and off the market so fast, while we're yet to have a reasonable offer that we could afford to move on. My feeling is that our house is now worth a few percent less than it was three years ago.

Asking prices are definitely on the up, however, if they are realistic or not is another matter entirely.

i guess they are realistic as long as people are there to buy them at these prices.

Unrealistic house prices mean houses sitting on the market with no buyers, in S10/S11 houses are expensive and sell quickly, the market dictates price at the end of the day.